Explore the wonders of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary by sea! Our California coastline extends for miles along the Pacific Ocean with stretches that are as pristine as one could imagine. Along the Lovers Point Park area of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, kayakers get an up close look at this wonder of nature teeming with wildlife such as:
- Harbor seals swimming alongside you or resting sleepily on the rocks along the shore
- Diving pelicans putting on a show
- A raft of otters rolling and playing in the kelp
We provide an introductory orientation and all the gear you will need, including splash paddling suits to go on over your clothing or wetsuits if you prefer. Dry bags are also available so you can bring along your camera or valuables!
Keep in mind when booking, we ask that you pick up your rental within 1 hour of the selected time.
What Is Not Included?
- Food and drinks are not included.
- Locked storage is NOT available so please do not bring valuables!
- Do I have to purchase a kayak rental in advance?
- Advanced purchase is highly recommended to ensure the time and type of kayak you prefer. Rentals can be purchased online or by phone with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What does my kayak rental include?
- Kayak rentals include all kayak gear, paddling instruction and wildlife orientation. We can also help point out a few of our favorite kayaking locations.
- How long do the rentals last?
- We offer all days rentals for one flat rate, although you are able to return the rental earlier.
- What are the shop hours? When can I pick up the rental?
- We open at 9:00 a.m. all year round and close at sunset – in the winter time at 5:00 p.m., the summertime at either 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. Keep in mind when booking, we ask that you pick up your rental within 1 hour of the selected time.
- Can I rent a kayak for more than one day?
- Absolutely. Please click the "Contact AdvByTheSea" link to inquire about multi-day rentals.
- Will I save money by returning my kayak early?
- No - Rental prices are a flat rate for the entire day.
- What happens if it rains?
- Most rentals will take place in light rain and moderate weather conditions. In the event that we have to cancel due to severe or unsafe weather conditions, you will be able to reschedule or receive credit for a future rental.
- Will we be kayaking with a guide?
- While we will have a staff member give an introduction and orientation session, there is no guide for the kayak rentals. We also offer kayak tours if you would prefer a guided experience.
- Do I need to know how to swim?
- No, you will be above water at all times. We do recommend that you be comfortable in the water when renting a kayak. If you would prefer more instruction, we offer guided tours.
- Do I need to have already learned to kayak before renting?
- No prior experience is necessary. Our kayaks are beginner friendly and you will be given instructions and an introductory orientation with your rental.
- You offer kayak rentals from multiple locations. Does it matter which location I pick up my rental from?
- Our different locations are mostly for your convenience! The area to kayak is approximately 3 square miles and we have shops at both ends! The Cannery Row shop is our main shop and is located most conveniently for those visiting the Aquarium or downtown. Our Breakwater Cove location has a protected water entrance so it is sometimes best for families. The Lovers Point shop is in Pacific Grove and is smaller shop and is a more open paddling area.
- Do you offer delivery for the rentals?
- No, our kayak rentals are only from our shops and kayaks cannot be taken and launched at alternate spots.
- Is there a better time of day to go kayaking?
- We usually recommend the mornings (even if there is fog) because the conditions are usually more glassy and calm. As the sun comes out, often the wind may pick up and so it is a trade off! During the summer, we have extended hours and late afternoon is often quite beautiful as well!
- Are children allowed to rent kayaks?
- All minors under 18 years of age need to be accompanied by an adult. Children must be at least 5 years old and feel comfortable at sea. Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult in a tandem boat (one adult per child).
- Are the rentals suitable for pregnant women?
- During the early months, as long as you are fit, kayaking should be no problem. Of course, if the conditions are rough we reserve the right to change this recommendation!!!
- Do we have the choice of renting single or tandem kayaks?
- What types of kayak rentals do you offer?
- Our kayaks are open deck sea kayaks and accommodate the novice paddler comfortably.
- Are the kayak rentals safe?
- It's our job to make sure you have a safe adventure. If we have a concern about weather, waves or the appropriateness of any activity and safety, we will either send you to a better location to launch (for instance) or will spend extra time briefing you appropriately. Our staff monitors boaters while in the water if necessary and we maintain a chase boat “The Lady Adventure” close by to assist should a situation arise. We do ask that individuals not consume alcohol prior to their kayaking adventure. Remember, we want everyone to have fun and be safe, too!
- Is there a liability waiver that needs to be signed?
- Yes, all participants must sign a liability waiver before the tour. Any participants under the age of 18 must have an accompanying adult sign the waiver for them.
- Is there a security deposit?
- What happens if a kayak is lost or stolen during a rental?
- The customer is liable for the kayak and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the kayak rented.
- Do I have to wear a life vest?
- Are there any weight restrictions?
- We can accommodate individuals up to about 250-270 lbs. as long as they are moderately fit (able to paddle themselves).
- What should I wear?
- We recommend that you dress comfortably and wear layers so that you can adjust accordingly. Upon arrival at the shop, we provide you with a nylon-coated splash suit that slips over you clothes (fits like a windbreaker jacket and pant). These suits do not breathe much so you do stay warm. Therefore, we recommend wearing shorts and T-shirts or something that can get wet around the edges. Some kayakers prefer to go barefoot, but you may wish to bring your own boat shoes (your feet will get wet!) We have a limited supply of booties available.
- Can I leave luggage at the shop?
- We do not have secure lockers in any of our shops so please do not bring valuables or lots of items. If you need to bring luggage, please call us to see if we can find space for them.
- Are food and drinks included?
- While food and drinks are not included, you are able to bring a snack and we recommend bringing a beverage.
- Are tickets for kayak rentals refundable?
- No but we will reschedule.
- Are kayak tours available?
- Yes, if you are interested in a guided experience, we do have kayak tours available. Please click "List of All Activities" or "Lovers Point Kayak Tour" on the left of this page to get more details.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! To inquire about purchasing a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact AdvByTheSea" link on the left side of this page.
- Are private tours available?
- Yes! Please click on the "Contact AdvByTheSea" link on the left of this page to inquire further.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must sign a waiver.
- All participants are required to sign a liability waiver before renting a kayak. Any participants under the age of 18 must have an accompanying adult sign the waiver for them.
- Children under 5 years old are not permitted.
- Children must be at least 5 years old and feel comfortable at sea in order to participate. Each child under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult in a tandem boat (one adult per child).
Adventures By The Sea
Wanting to share his experiences with others, Frank began a small rental business delivering bicycles to the local hotels for the enjoyment of people visiting the area. Continued enthusiasm and success have allowed the growth of the business -- the offerings now include kayaks, surreys, and standup paddleboards.
Frank and his wife Michelle now have locations on Cannery Row, Lovers Point, Breakwater Cove, Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay, and Pebble Beach, as well as bike rental locations at several hotels throughout the Monterey Peninsula. Both Frank and Michelle are active in community affairs and in the ecological preservation of the Monterey Bay Area.
In addition to our public activities, we also offer a number of team building events and activities. With our unique combination of recreation, tour offerings and team building events, Adventures by the Sea can assist with planning a full itinerary that will keep your group as busy as they desire. Whether your goal is to build team cohesiveness, strengthen relationships within your team, explore the Monterey Peninsula, try a new sport, or get a little exercise, we can arrange it for you!