This is a longer tour, 3 hours and 15+ miles. Riders must be comfortable spending that much time on a bike and covering that distance. This extensive tour, specifically designed to show you the best foliage in Boston, will ride along and through:
- Boston Common
- Boston Public Gardens
- Commonwealth Avenue Mall
- Fenway Victory Gardens
- Arnold Arboretum
- Jamaica Pond
- Olmsted Park
- And more!
What Is Not Included?
Gratuity for guides is not included in the price and tips are greatly appreciated for a job well done.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|royambarish||Sun, Oct 19 10:00 AM||Male||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
Although the bike ride was 15-16 miles long, it was very relaxing as it goes through lovely parks in the greater Boston area. Guides were very helpful especially navigating through Boston streets.
Emerald necklace tour was excellent
|Lucretia123||Sun, Oct 12 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Other|
Great tour that allowed us to explore both the city and beautiful parkland. Lovely trees, not fully turned, but well on their way!.Very well organised. Route was flat and at a pace that everyone could manage. No problems with traffic. Would definitely recommend it.
Fast and Furious
|DianeSill||Fri, Oct 3 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
We thought this would be more of a bike "tour" at a bit slower pace. We only stopped 6 or 7 times in the 2 1/2-3 hours, so I didn't get to take many pictures. It almost seemed a frantic pace at times, with the leader taking off after a stop without even looking back. I was working to keep up with him, and didn't get much chance to enjoy the scenery. The guide at the end, Annie, never made anyone feel rushed, though. It would be nice if this was 30 minutes longer.
Not a good experience. Caution
|walsh4||Tue, Sep 30 10:00 AM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The advertisement for this tour leads you to believe that it is a casual ride through Boston city parks, but participants be warned. Our experience was different. I have two major problems with the tour that we experienced: 1) The majority of our ride was in traffic on crowded city streets through both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. I signed up for what I believed was a ride mostly through Boston city parks. 2) Our guide left most of the group behind, while the guide at the rear of the group kept telling us to keep up. This left my wife in tears at one point in the ride. She is NOT a competitive cyclist and simply enjoys riding a bike from time to time. We asked to stop early and the guide encouraged my wife to keep going. He also agreed to slow down. This was mostly successful except that when we began to re-enter the crowded part of the city, we got dropped at a couple stoplights. Another irritant that contributed to my dissatisfaction was the repeated reminder that this "was a ride for experienced cyclists" and the repeated suggestion that we take the T to get back home. If this is a ride for only experienced cyclists, then most of our group should not have been there. Overall, I was pretty dissatisfied and my wife was down right mad. Not a good part of our anniversary trip.
Exciting and fast-paced day!
|kuramts2||Sat, Sep 27 10:00 AM||Female||Under 20||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
The guides I had were Pal and Charles. They were incredibly informative, helpful and told us fascinating stories about the landmarks we passed. While we were riding with them I truly felt like I was in safe hands and riding in the street did not scare me. I enjoyed their company and I know that countless others will too!
First Time in Boston
|djnusz||Mon, Sep 15 10:00 AM||Male||30-39||Unspecified||Couple on a Date|
Great Tour and Tour Guides! Fun way to see all of Boston!
Fun and Fast
|bullwheel||Sun, Nov 17, 13 10:00 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
This tour was terrific, we covered more ground and saw more landmarks than in 6 hours of walking the previous 3 days. The group leader was experienced and knowledgeable. We took photos, but if your not comfortable carrying your camera, the guide takes photos for you. I would do a different bike tour from Urban Adventours anytime I went back to Boston. The bikes were in perfect working order, although i might prefer a comfort seat, but anyone used to cycling will find this bike adequate. It is a three hour tour so be comfortable on a bike for that long. It helps to have nice weather, but you can't control everything. Should be comfortable riding on streets a little, and able to avoid joggers on trails. Warning - it will build your appetite and you'll want to go to the North End for Pizza or Pasta afterword! Try Mama Anna's, hot, fresh, and big portions, and the cheese in the Lasagne is out of this (new) world.
Great tour and an excellent way to see the city!
|bharv_20||Wed, Oct 30, 13 10:00 AM||Male||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Other|
Our guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. The bikes were in great shape and well suited to the riding. The tour covered a lot of ground and we learned a lot about Boston that we wouldn't have otherwise. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who enjoys cycling and is new to the city or wants to see more than a walk would allow for.
Fantastic way to see Boston!
|FredWvt||Sat, Oct 26, 13 10:00 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This was a superb tour. Truly a ton of fun, and the highlight of our weekend. We saw so many interesting things while riding through rural and non-rural areas of Boston. I highly recommend this tour for anyone that enjoys biking!
|Aberger||Sat, Oct 19, 13 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
A lovely tour on a beautiful fall day. Nice variety of city/parks. Guide was very professional.
- Are Urban AdvenTours for all levels of riders?
- You don't need to be Lance Armstrong to enjoy an Urban AdvenTours ride - we welcome intermediate cyclists and above. However, 50% of the tour will be on the road with traffic, so be prepared.
- Are the tours safe?
- Yes. Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company. PLEASE be sure to arrive 30 minutes prior to departure time for bike adjustments and to ensure a safe and secure helmet fit. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and fully outfitted with reflectors and lights after dark. The number of guides per tour is based on the number of participants riding to keep the tour safe and protected while moving at a comfortable pace: We usually have a ratio of one guide per five to seven riders. UA staff will also provide advice for safe city riding. On the Emerald Necklace Tour, about 50% of the tour is done on bike paths, and the other 50% is done on city streets, alongside traffic.
- When is the peak foliage season?
- It varies year to year, but leaves are usually at their brightest between mid October and early November. Of course, the Emerald Necklace is a beautiful ride at any time of the year, whether the leaves are green, red & orange, or on the ground!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- No, but advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours may sell out or be cancelled if there are no reservations. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance, either online or by phone. Tickets can be purchased through Zerve with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour by your street guide.
- How does this tour differ from your other tours?
- This tour is focused specifically on the path known as the Emerald Necklace, a route passing through seven of Boston's lushest parks, as created by America's first landscape architect, Frederick Law Olmsted.
- Is this a good tour for a beginner bike rider?
- Because this tour covers about 15 miles over about 3 hours, it is designed for more experienced cyclists who are comfortable spending that much time on a bike.
- Will there be food and beverages served on the tour?
- Urban AdvenTours will supply each rider with a bottle of water. Please bring a sports drink or snacks if you think you might like them. We will probably not make any stops for food or drink during the tour.
- How long do the tours last?
- Tours generally last about 3 hours. However, depending on your group, traffic, and other factors, the tour may last up to 3.5 hours.
- How much distance does the tour cover?
- The tour covers about 15 miles and passes through many different neighborhoods in Boston.
- Does the evening tour run after dark?
- The Emerald Necklace tour may run after sunset or in dusk if it is scheduled for our 2pm time slot. If this is the case, we will outfit our bikes with lights for safety.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- The tour will typically run in a light rain, but not in more severe or unsafe weather conditions. If AdvenTours needs to cancel the tour, we will contact you on the day of the tour to reschedule your tickets to another time that is convenient for you. Please be sure the local (or cell phone) number you provide when buying your tickets is accurate.
- Are there bathroom stops on the tour?
- Yes, there is one bathroom stop in the middle of the tour.
- What happens if a bike is lost or stolen during a tour or rental?
- The customer is liable for the bicycle and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the bike rented.
- Are children welcome on the tour?
- Children are always welcome, but since the tour is at least three hours long and covers about 15 miles and some children have a limited attention span and energy level, the tour may not be appropriate for kids under 10 years old. Private tours are always available for families with multiple children. Please note that Massachusetts State Law forbids children younger than 1 year from riding on a bicycle.
- What special arrangements can be made for my children to take the tour?
- The best thing you can do for your children is to book a private tour! After you have done that, we will be able to provide your child with a "pint sized" bicycle or a towing attachment for parents with toddlers. Click "Contact AdvenTours" to inquire about taking a tour with your children.
- What kinds of child attachments available for the bikes?
- Since this is a longer and more strenuous tour, children must be able to ride their own bikes for the entire duration of the tour. Please click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left to inquire about scheduling a private tour at a slower pace.
- Can I take my video camera on the tour?
- Can I leave luggage at the shop?
- We can store personal articles, bags, or larger luggage during the day for customers on tour or renting bikes. We are not responsible for lost/damaged items. Sorry, but we cannot store anything overnight.
- Can I rent a bike?
- Yes! If you'd like to rent a bike, please check out our Tour Boston by Bicycle Self-Guided Rental activity by clicking "List of All Activities" on the lefthand side of this page.
- What if I am a local Bostonian? Do I have anything to gain from one of your tours?
- Of course! All of the locals who have taken our tours have said they learned something new, whether it be a new landmark or a new route. Our tours are also great for locals with out-of-town visitors who want to see the sites. It is a unique offering that will leave your guests thanking you for taking them off the beaten path of traditional tours.
- What is the maximum number of people on a tour?
- Our tours generally range from 2-10 people for safety and customer service reasons. We are able to split up larger groups that would like to leave at the same time.
- Can I bring my own bike on the tour?
- Yes, but only if the bike is in top-notch condition! (We do reserve the right to turn you away or ask you to use one of ours if your bike is not in good enough shape). There is no discounted rate for bringing your own bike, but we will give you a FREE Urban AdvenTours t-shirt upon arrival!
- Can I rent a tandem bike?
- Yes, special arrangements can be made for a tandem bike, but you must contact the seller at least 24 hours in advance to do so. Please click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely. There is no better gift for a new student or new resident in the Boston area. It is a great way to help them become more acclimated to the city. Gift certificates are also great birthday, thank you, and anniversaries gifts. To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link.
- Do you offer custom private group tours?
- Yes. We welcome custom group tours which can be from 5 to 30 people in size. For large groups, we split up for safety and service reasons. Custom tours are great for convention goers, corporations, and student groups. To arrange a group tour, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left of the page.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Sorry, pets are not allowed on tours unless they can ride quietly and comfortably in a backpack specifically designed for that purpose. We cannot provide any special accommodations along the tour for animals.
- How can I get copies of any pictures taken by Urban AdvenTours on the tour?
- Photos UA staff take on our tours are available free of charge to participants by leaving an email address on the waiver signed before the tour.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must sign a waiver at the start of the tour.
- Upon arrival participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!