The 'Tour de Boston' is a leisurely ride that takes you to some of the most scenic spots in Boston and Cambridge. This tour is ideal for families with young riders! Whether you want to avoid traffic or just want an easier ride, the Tour de Boston is our most relaxed ride for cyclists of all skill levels.
You will ride along the bike paths of the Charles River, through the North End, and past Boston's newest park, the Rose Kennedy Greenway. You will discover the unique character and charm of the city up close and in person, in a way only possible by bicycle!
This relaxing tour features:
- Beautiful views of Boston and Cambridge from the shores of the Charles River
- The Charles River Esplanade - Boston's riverfront paradise
- The North End - Boston's oldest residential, Italian neighborhood
- The Zakim Bridge
- "Old Ironsides" - the USS Constitution
What Is Not Included?
Gratuity for guides is not included in the price and tips are greatly appreciated for a job well done.
- Are Urban AdvenTours for all levels of riders?
- You don't need to be Lance Armstrong to enjoy an Urban AdvenTours ride - we welcome all levels of riders. This tour is perfect for inexperienced riders who would prefer to take it easy! However, some of the tour is on the road with traffic, so please be prepared.
- Are the tours safe?
- Yes. Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company. Be sure to arrive 30 minutes prior to departure time for bike adjustments and to ensure a safe and secure helmet fit. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and fully outfitted with reflective strips. The number of guides per tour is based on the number of participants riding to keep the tour safe and protected while moving at a comfortable pace. We usually have a ratio of one guide per six riders. UA staff can also provide advice for safe city riding.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance, either online or by phone. Tickets can be purchased through Zerve with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour by your guide.
- How does this tour differ from your Boston City View Tour?
- This tour is great for street-shy riders, as we'll stick more to bike paths and spend less time on the city streets. Both tours offer great views of Boston, but the City View gets more close-up, while the Tour de Boston sees them from a distance.
- Will there be food and beverages served on the tour?
- Urban AdvenTours will supply each rider with a bottle of water. Please bring a sports drink or snacks if you would like one. We will probably not make any stops for food or drink during the tour. We do, however, have food and drink for purchase at our shop!
- How long do the tours last?
- Tours generally last between 2 and 2.5 hours.
- Does this tour run after dark?
- This tour does not usually run past sunset.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- The tour will typically run in a light rain, but not in more severe or unsafe weather conditions. If AdvenTours needs to cancel the tour, we will contact you on the day of the tour to reschedule your tickets to another time that is convenient for you. Please be sure the local (or cell phone) number you provide when buying your tickets is accurate.
- Are there bathroom stops on the tour?
- You will be able to use the bathroom before the tour departs, but there is no designated bathroom stop on the tour.
- What happens if a bike is lost or stolen during a tour or rental?
- The customer is liable for the bicycle and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the bike rented.
- Is this a good tour for inexperienced cyclists?
- Yes! This tour is great for children and inexperienced riders, and is our most family friendly tour. It covers about 7-10 miles.
- Are children welcome on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour, but keep in mind that tours generally last about 2.5 hours. Kid bikes, "trailer" bikes, and child seats are all available. A private tour is also a great alternative for groups with children! Please note that Massachusetts State Law forbids children younger than 1 year from riding on a bicycle. Please add a note in your booking that you will have children attending so we can plan accordingly!
- What special arrangements can be made for my children to take the tour?
- The best thing you can do for your children is to book a private tour! We also have child-sized bikes, 'trailer bike' towing attachments, and baby seats available. Please let us know about your needs by using the "Contact AdvenTours" link or using the 'Send message to seller' function when purchasing tickets.
- What kinds of child attachments available for the bikes?
- Please contact us directly via the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire about attachments. We have child seats (attach to an adult's bike on a rack right behind the adult over the rear; for kids too young to ride a bike), Trail-a-bikes (attach to an adult’s bike on the seat post for children who are big enough to ride a bike, but may not be able to ride a without training wheels confidently or handle the pacing of a tour), and Burley trailers (can carry up to two children and up to 100 pounds, but are not available on public tours). Please contact us via the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire. Thank you!
- Can I bring my own bike on the tour?
- Yes, but only if the bike is in top-notch condition! (We do reserve the right to turn you away or ask you to use one of ours if your bike is not in good enough shape). There is no discounted rate for bringing your own bike, but we will give you a FREE Urban AdvenTours t-shirt upon arrival!
- Can I take my video camera on the tour?
- Can I rent a bike?
- Yes! If you'd like to a rent a bike, please check out our Tour Boston by Bicycle Self-Guided Rental activity by clicking "List of All Activities" to the left of the page.
- What if I am a local Bostonian? Do I have anything to gain from one of your tours?
- Of course! All of the locals who have taken our tours have said they learned something new, whether it be a new landmark or a new route. Our tours are also great for locals with out-of-town visitors who want to see the sites. It is a unique offering that will leave your guests thanking you for taking them off the beaten path of traditional tours.
- What is the maximum number of people on a tour?
- Our tours generally range from 5-10 people, though occasionally reach numbers between 20 and 30 during our busy season. Multiple tour guides ride on larger tours to ensure your safety and the quality of the experience. We can also split large tours into two separate groups.
- Can I rent a tandem bike?
- Yes, special arrangements can be made for a tandem bike, but you must contact the seller at least 24 hours in advance to do so. Please click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire.
- Can I leave luggage at the shop?
- We can store personal articles, bags, or larger luggage during the day for customers on tour or renting bikes. We are not responsible for lost/damaged items. Sorry, but we cannot store anything overnight.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely. There is no better gift for a new student or new resident in the Boston area. It is a great way to help them become more acclimated to the city. Gift certificates are also great birthday, thank you, and anniversaries gifts. To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link.
- Do you offer custom private group tours?
- Yes. We welcome custom group tours for convention goers, corporations, and student groups. To arrange a group tour, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left of the page.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Sorry, pets are not allowed on tours unless they can ride quietly and comfortably in a backpack specifically designed for that purpose. We cannot provide any special accommodations along the tour for animals.
- How can I get copies of any pictures taken by Urban AdvenTours on the tour?
- Photos UA staff take on our tours are available free of charge to participants by leaving an email address on the waiver signed before the tour.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must sign a waiver at the start of the tour.
- Upon arrival participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!