Sound the alarm! The Paul Revere Ride to Freedom follows the path of Paul Revere's famous midnight ride. On this special edition tour, road bikes replace horses as you ride back in time and recount the opening days of the American Revolution, hour by hour over a 25 mile route. There's no better way to experience Boston's famous past than the up-close perspective of a bicycle.
This vast and extensive tour brings you to all the major points on Revere's ride, including:
- The Old North Church
- Lexington Green
- Battle Road
- Minuteman National Park
- Paul Revere's Capture Site
- Historic Concord Village and the Old North Bridge
- This tour is 25 miles long, and lasts at least four hours depending on weather, traffic, and other factors.
- This is a road bike tour! It is designed to be an athletic experince, and will keep a 15+ mph pace between stops.
- This tour spends much more time on city streets than our other tours. Riders must be comfortable riding on streets.
- You will have a choice to either ride the Commuter Rail back from Concord Station, ride 26 more miles back to Boston with the tour guide, or to rent your bike after the tour for $25.
- Train tickets (Commuter Rail Zone 5) are available cash-on-board the train for $11 (cash ONLY), or at any MBTA kiosk for $8. Please purchase your ticket in advance if you know you will be taking the train!
- An individually fitted road bike: Choose from our Aluminum, Carbon, Performance, or Performance Plus levels of road bikes on the next page.
- A helmet and two water bottles with ice-cold water inside!
- A knowledgeable tour guide to lead you on your adventure
- Photos along the way!
What Is Not Included?
If you plan to take the train back, the ticket is not included in your tour price.
Gratuity for guides is not included in the price and tips are greatly appreciated for a job well done.
- Is this tour for all levels of riders?
- No - this tour is designed to be athletic and will keep a fast (15 mph) pace for the duration of the ride. This tour is recommended for experienced riders. If you would like to take this tour at a slower pace, please contact us about a private tour!
- Are the tours safe?
- Of course! Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company. Be sure to arrive 30 minutes prior to departure time for bike adjustments and to ensure a safe and secure helmet fit. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and fully outfitted with headlights after dark and reflective strips. The number of guides per tour is based on the number of participants riding to keep the tour safe and protected while moving at a comfortable pace. We usually have a ratio of one guide per six to seven riders. UA tour guides are expert riders, and your comfort on the streets is out utmost priority.
- What should I wear?
- We recommend a "kit," a tight-fitting spandex outfit specifically made for cycling. Your ride will be much more comfortable, that way. We have reasonably-priced shop kits available for purchase. Please plan to visit the day before your tour if you intend to buy a kit, or call us ahead of time so that we can have an appropriately sized kit ready for you.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Because this is a specialty tour, advance purchase is required. We may not be able to accommodate walk-up guests.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour by your street guide.
- How long do the tours last?
- This tour leaves at 8:30 am and returns at about 1:30 to 2:00 if you choose to ride back with the guide, or about 12:45 if you choose to return on the train.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour ends in Concord, Massachusetts, which is west of Boston. Guests have the option of riding back to Boston with the tour guide, getting on the train (Zone 5 commuter rail Tickets are available at MBTA kiosks for $8 or onboard for $11, cash only) or renting their bikes for the rest of the day for $25. You can choose between these options on the next page.
- How long is the train ride back?
- The train ride from Concord Square to North Station will take approximately 40 minutes, and then ten minutes to ride to our shop from the train.
- How much does the train ride back cost?
- You may purchase a commuter rail Zone 5 ticket at any MBTA kiosk or Commuter Rail ticket office beforehand, or pay the $11 cash-on-board fare on the train.
- Where does the train drop you off?
- The commuter rail will drop passengers off at the North Station, which is just a short ride from our shop.
- How much money should I bring?
- If you want to ride both ways and are confident in your abilities to do so, you should only bring enough money to buy a light lunch if you should so desire. If you are at all in doubt of your ability to ride 52 miles at a 15 mph pace, you should bring enough money to cover your $11 cash-on-board train fare should you decide to take the train instead.
- Will there be food and beverages served on the tour?
- We will supply each rider with water, though you will have to bring or purchase your own snacks or lunch. There will be an opportunity approximately halfway through the tour to purchase your lunch, and a stop later to have a quick picnic.
- Will there be a stop during the tour to eat lunch?
- Yes, the tour will stop for a picnic lunch at the Old North Bridge in Concord.
- Can we ride our bikes back to the meeting location?
- Yes, the tour guide will accompany you back down the Minuteman Trail. If you would like to explore Concord and the surrounding areas on your own, you may rent your bike for an additional $25 after the tour.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- The tour will typically run in a light rain, but not in more severe or unsafe weather conditions. If we need to cancel the tour, we will contact you on the day of the tour to reschedule your tickets to another time that is convenient for you. Please be sure the local (or cell phone) number you provide when buying your tickets is accurate.
- Are there bathroom stops on the tour?
- There are two bathroom stops, once near the middle and once near the end of the tour.
- What happens if a bike is lost or stolen during a tour or rental?
- The customer is liable for the bicycle and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the bike rented.
- Are children welcome on the tour?
- Since this is a longer, more athletic tour, it is not recommended for children. However, if your child is a budding athlete and can keep up with the pace of the tour (15 mph over 26 miles), then we welcome them to come along! For best results, consider contacting us about a private tour so that we can adjust the pace to your needs, if necessary.
- What special arrangements can be made for my children to take the tour?
- If your children want to come along, but are not able to go at the full pace, we would happily welcome you to take a private tour with us. We would ensure that your children are not placed at an excessive risk, and we can prepare bikes just for them. Click the "Contact AdvenTours" link to inquire about taking a tour with your children.
- What kinds of child attachments are available for the bikes?
- The road bikes cannot be outfitted with any kind of child attachment. If you would like to bring your own bike, or schedule a private tour using hybrid bikes, please click "Contact AdvenTours" to contact us directly. (Reminder: Massachusetts State Law forbids children younger than 1 year from riding on a bicycle.)
- Can I take my video camera on the tour?
- Only if you promise to show us the video!
- Can I bring my own bike on the tour?
- Yes, but only if the bike is in good condition! We do reserve the right to turn you away or ask you to use one of ours if your bike is not in good enough shape.
- Can I rent a tandem bike?
- Tandems are generally not allowed on this tour as they are cumbersome and difficult to maneuver. Please use the "Contact AdvenTours" link if you would like to make special arrangements.
- Can I rent a bike?
- Yes, rentals are available through Zerve for advance purchase.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely. There is no better gift for a new student or new resident in the Boston area. It is a great way to help them become more acclimated to the city. Gift certificates are also great birthday, thank you, and anniversaries gifts. To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link.
- Do you offer custom private group tours?
- Yes. We welcome custom group tours for as few as two people! For large groups, we may split groups up for safety and service reasons. Custom tours are great for convention goers, corporations, family gatherings, or student groups. To arrange a group tour, please click on the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left of the page.
- What if I am a local Bostonian? Do I have anything to gain from one of your tours?
- Of course! All of the locals who have taken our tours have said they learned something new, whether it be a new landmark or a new route. Our tours are also great for locals with out-of-town visitors who want to see the sites. It is a unique offering that will leave your guests thanking you for taking them off the beaten path of traditional tours.
- What is the maximum number of people on a tour?
- Our tours generally range from 2-20 people. Larger groups can be split up for safety and pace.
- Can I leave luggage at the shop?
- We can store personal articles, bags, or larger luggage during the day for customers on tour or renting bikes. While your bags will be stored in as secure a location as possible, we cannot be held responsible for lost/damaged items.
- Can I bring my pet?
- Sorry, pets are not allowed on tours unless they can ride quietly and comfortably in a backpack specifically designed for that purpose. We cannot provide any special accommodations along the tour for animals.
- How can I get copies of any pictures taken by Urban AdvenTours on the tour?
- Photos UA staff take on our tours are available free of charge to participants by leaving an email address on the waiver signed before the tour. Photos will also be uploaded to our Facebook account.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must sign a waiver at the start of the tour.
- Upon arrival participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!