**Please note that the event time listed above is not necessarily your pickup time.** You are welcome to pick up your bike at any time during the day that you reserve! However, please let us know approximately what time you will be picking up your bike when you check out. You must pick up your bike within two hours of the time you specify.
Don't know where to ride? Don't worry! We have plenty of suggestions for routes, and maps that detail the surrounding areas of Boston.
Your rental includes:
- Individually fitted high-end road bike
- Map of Boston (maps of Massachusetts and Greater Boston are available for a small charge)
- Flat pedals or toe cages, or your pedals installed for you (SPD, SPD-SL, or Look pedals can be rented for $20)
- Flat kit (charged only for parts used or lost during your rental)
Bikes can also be rented for multiple days, subject to availability. Use the “Contact AdvenTours” link to arrange a longer rental.
Delivery is available via the vegetable oil-powered BioBus. If interested, please click on the “Contact AdvenTours” link to the left and let us know your needs.
What Is Not Included?
Flat kits are included! You will only be charged if you use the kit (cost of materials used or lost).
- Do I have to pick up my bike at the exact time I selected?
- No. As stated in the event description, the event times are a ballpark figure. You can, however, leave us a note telling us the approximate time that you plan to arrive.
- How do I know if a road bike rental is for me?
- Simple! If you want to ride longer miles (more than 15 at a time), keep a higher speed, have a more aggressive riding position, or ride in a race, a road bike would be a perfect fit for you.
- What is the difference between the road bike rental and a city bike rental?
- Road bikes are intended to be ridden at higher speeds and for longer distances than Hybrid bikes are. They are lighter weight, and their more aggressive geometry affords better handling at high speeds. In addition, your riding stance on the bike will be more aggressive and forward, rather than sitting semi-upright on a hybrid.
- Are children welcome to rent a road bike?
- Road bikes are typically best suited for the more mature rider. We offer standard hybrid bike rentals and we find that these are usually best suited for children and families. You can check out our standard hybrid bike rental by following the link to the left of the page.
- Can I rent a trailer or other attachment for my road bike?
- No. Trailers can only be attached to our city bikes.
- What does my road bike rental include?
- Road bike rentals include an individually fitted and freshly tuned bike, a helmet, and a map of Boston. Locks are available if desired, but we ask that you be very careful when locking the bike, as careless locking can cause serious damage to the frame or components.
- How long do the road bike rentals last?
- Rentals last for 24 hours, though you are welcome to return your bike earlier, of course. There is no overnight charge but late rentals will be charged for an extra day. Again, we ask that if you are returning or picking up in the evening that you arrive no less than 30 minutes before closing.
- Do you offer delivery?
- Yes! Please contact us directly by clicking the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left to arrange a delivery. Please allow AT LEAST 24 hours notice for delivery!
- What types of pedals do you offer?
- We offer flat or cage pedals, or will install your own pedals for no charge. You may also rent our specialty pedals for $20, non-recurring. We offer Shimano SPD pedals, which use a 2-bolt cleat, SPD-SL pedals, which use 3-bolt cleats, and Look's Keo classic pedals, which also use a 3-bolt system. We do not provide shoes or cleats for rental.
- Are the road bike rentals safe?
- Yes. Urban AdvenTours is a fully insured company and our bikes are kept in tip-top shape. Be sure to allow a few minutes during your pickup for us to fit your bike to you. All bikes and helmets are brightly colored for high visibility and fully outfitted with reflectors. Lights are available with your rental for just $15, if you desire.
- Do I have to purchase a road bike rental in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Advance purchase is recommended as the number of bicycles is limited. In order to book in advance, you can only pay with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Is there a security deposit?
- All participants must provide a credit card at the start of the rental. There will be no charge on the card unless the bike is damaged or not returned. The information will only be used in the case of damage or loss of property.
- Am I required to sign a waiver?
- Yes. It is a requirement that all individuals participating with Urban AdvenTours agree to sign a waiver. If you are under the age of 18, your parent or legal guardian must sign for you. A waiver will be provided to each participant to sign before the tour by your street guide.
- What if there is rain or inclement weather?
- The rental will typically go as planned in a light rain. If Urban AdvenTours feels it is unsafe to ride a bicycle, we will contact you on the day of the rental to reschedule to another time that is convenient for you. Please be sure the local (or cell phone) number you provide when buying your tickets is accurate. We try to be flexible with rescheduling, but please note that tickets are nonrefundable.
- What happens if a road bike is lost or stolen during a tour or rental?
- The customer is liable for the bicycle and will be responsible for the full retail cost of the bike rented.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely! We offer gift certificates for all the products that we offer, as well as gift cards which can be loaded with a specific dollar amount. To purchase, please use the "Contact AdvenTours" link to the left.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must sign a waiver before renting a bike.
- Upon arrival, participants must sign a waiver before riding. Participants under 18 must have a parent or legal guardian sign for them.
- All rentals require a credit card authorization.
- All participants must provide a credit card at the start of the rental. There will be no charge on the card. The information will only be used in the case of damage or loss of property.
- Customers are responsible for the safe and timely return of all rented equipment.
- If a rental bicycle, helmet, or any accessory is lost, stolen, damaged or not returned to Urban AdvenTours, you will be charged for its full retail value. If you do not return equipment by the end of business on the day of your rental, you will be charged for an additional day. This fee will be charged to the credit card information you provide at check in.
Our bike tours cover more ground than a walking tour, and provide an up-close and personal view of the city not possible on a bus. We have over a thousand 5-star reviews all over the web for a reason! And for those who want a rental, but don’t want to travel to our shop in the North End, the famous BioBus can deliver bikes right to your hotel.
Whether you take in one of our daily Boston tours, enjoy one of our quality bike rentals, or organize a company biking event with Urban AdvenTours, you are guaranteed to have a 'wheely' good time!