The story features Yaa Asantewa, Buena Batiste, Lauren Davis, Kaci M. Fannin, D.C. Lewis, Cameron Miller, and Jahi-Kassa Taquara.
Sassy Mamas is premiering worldwide at the Billie Holiday Theatre, so you'll be the first to see the newest work by renown playwright Celeste Bedford Walker under the direction of Billie Holiday's producer and director, Marjorie Moon.
Sassy Mamas will take place in the elegant 200- seat Billie Holiday Theatre, named after the legendary singer Billie Holiday, which has served as the training ground of notable, aspiring theater professionals.
Described as a theatre with a "soul and a mission," this intimate performance space has produced special programs that address social issues of concern and interest to the African-American and Caribbean-American communities.
"A gem in the Brooklyn community."
—Our Time Press, December, 2003
"A true Brooklyn landmark."
—Marty Markowitz, Brooklyn Borough President
GO Brooklyn, October 29, 2005
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and shows often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Why are show dates only up for a few weeks in advance?
- The Billie Holiday Theatre hosts one production at a time. All the dates for the entire running time of the current production are available for advance purchase. If you are looking for dates that are not scheduled, we will most likely be working on a new production. Please keep in mind that we do not run shows for a few weeks in between productions for rehearsals. All the most up-to-date information on our shows and running times is available on our website.
- How do I find out which productions you’ll have running for the rest of the year?
- Whenever we decide on a new production and the running time, we'll post it on our website. Check back closer to the date you're interested in. You can also click on the "Contact this seller" link for more information.
- What ethnic, gender and/or age audience is Billie Holiday Theatre for?
- Billie Holiday Theatre is truly family friendly and great for any group with an appreciation of theatrical productions. Age appropriateness depends on the specific production.
- Does this show have an age minimum?
- SASSY MAMAS is recommended for teens and up.
- What type of ticket should I purchase if I am bringing a very young child?
- Children ages 2 and younger may attend the show for free as long as they sit on someone's lap. Children who will be needing their own seat can purchase the reduced-price child ticket.
- Is there assigned seating in the show?
- Seats are not assigned for the show, and are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please arrive no later than 30 minutes prior to your scheduled show time to ensure seating with your party.
- Is there parking nearby?
- Yes. Theater Patron Parking is available at 1360 Fulton St. for $7.00, for all of of our guests. Just let the attendant know that you will be attending the show. There is limited street parking at meters.
- Is any food or beverage served at the show?
- No food or drinks will be served at the show, however there are restaurants nearby and there is a 10% theater patron dining discount at Applebee's in Restoration Plaza. In order to receive the discount, you must present your ticket stub at Applebee's. After purchasing your tickets online or by phone, you will receive an e-ticket, which you will then exchange for a show ticket at the box office. You must present this show ticket at Applebee's, so please visit the box office to exchange your e-ticket before dining.
- Are food or drinks allowed in the theater?
- No food or drinks are allowed inside the theater.
- What should I wear?
- Most of our guests wear relaxed, casual, and comfortable clothing, but feel free to get dressed up!
- Can I take photos or video during the show?
- You may take still photos during the show, but video cameras are not allowed.
- Is there a bathroom available in the theatre?
- Yes, we have restrooms for your convenience.
- Are gift certificates available for this show?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available for purchase and are good for any production being offered at the theater. Please click on the "Contact this seller" link for more information.
- Can I book a private show?
- Yes, private shows are available. Most groups, however, decide to attend the public show because you would need a party of at least 130 for a special event. Please use the "Contact this seller" link to inquire further about private group rates.
Billie Holiday Theatre, Inc.
The theatre has been the original New York producer of many hit shows, including Lotto; Inacent Black And The Five Brothers, One Monkey Don't Stop No Show, and the musical, Over Forty.
The theatre has also nurtured the careers of many talented professionals, including the likes of Oscar-nominated actor Samuel L. Jackson .
Critically acclaimed by Daily News, Our Time Press, GO Brooklyn, and The Amsterdam News, the theater has been described as "...both a neighborhood jewel and one of the nation's premier black playhouses."
Please note: The below photos are from past productions.