During this two-hour tour, your guide will lead you through the dark mysteries and spooky tales behind such haunted sites as:
- The Orpheum Theater, home of "Mary," who has haunted performances since 1921
- John Alexander Austin House, a Victorian era mansion haunted by lovers
- Potontoc Hotel, haunted by former caretaker Sidney; we see paranormal phenomena here on an almost weekly basis.
- The notorious Ernestine & Hazel's, a former brothel long recognized as one of the most haunted buildings in Memphis. It is home to several ghosts as well as a haunted jukebox.
The tour is appropriate for all ages. Join us today to experience the haunted side of Memphis.
Offered nightly, March through October; Saturdays only in November.
On Saturday, JULY 19, we are hosting the Ultimate Memphis Ghost Hunt, a special one-time-only tour. The tour features paranormal investigations of the city's most haunted places led by professional ghost hunters. For information and tickets, click on Ultimate Memphis Ghost Hunt.
What Is Not Included?
The tour offers an exploration of Ernestine & Hazel's. The rest of the tour is outside.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance in order to guarantee your spots on the tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, book well in advance!
- Can children go on the tour?
- We love children! Children between the ages of 7 and 12 have a reduced priced ticket. Children under 7 can come on the tour for free but must secure a ticket. The tour is appropriate for children, although keep in mind that there will be eerie tales told.
- What happens if it rains?
- The tour will run in most moderate weather conditions. In the event of unsafe or severe weather, we would have to cancel the tour, and you would be allowed to reschedule subject to availability or receive credit for a future event.
- If the tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately we do not have waiting lists for our tours. Check another date and time, or check out our other offered tours!
- Are there any stops during the tour?
- We will stop briefly at each site to hear detailed stories about the ghosts and spirits at that place. We may or may not enter a site or two depending on the tour.
- How much walking is involved?
- You will be on your feet for the duration of the two-hour tour, but we will be walking at a leisurely pace. The tour will cover just under 1 mile.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour will end exactly where it began!
- Who will my tour guide be?
- You will not be guaranteed to have any particular tour guide on the tour. All of our guides are certified professionals and will provide you with a fun, unforgettable experience!
- Should I tip my tour guide?
- If you enjoyed the trip, tips are highly appreciated!
- What is the difference between your tours?
- The Walking Ghost Tour and the Dark Side of Memphis tour both visit Memphis after-dark and explore its haunted history, but differ in the sites they see and the length of the tour. The Historic Memphis tour includes sites relating to the city's founding, early cotton trade, Civil War, and 19th and 20th century events. We also have several sightseeing bus tours: a general Memphis Mojo tour (that includes on Friday and Saturday mornings a guided tour of Sun Studio), an Elvis - based Hound Dog tour that includes a guided tour of Sun Studio, and a tour that visits Graceland with a Platinum Pass included!
- Are there any foods or beverages on the tour?
- There are no foods or beverages included on the tour; however, there are some beverages available at the meeting location. Water and sodas are $2, and beer is $4.50.
- Can I bring my own food and beverages on the tour?
- Yes! You can bring any foods, alcoholic, or nonalcoholic beverages you would like on the tour. Keep in mind that although you may have alcohol outside on Beale Street legally, elsewhere in the city you will be required to keep your drink in a paper bag.
- What should I bring with me on the tour?
- We recommend that you bring cash in case you decide to purchase drinks at the meeting location or tip your hard working guide! Other than that, bring any essentials you may need, and most of all - good spirits!
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Yes. Wheelchairs should be able to navigate the streets of the tour just as well as the rest of us! The terrain is relatively flat and if you're in a wheelchair you should have no problem. For more information, click on "Contact Backbeat".
- Do you offer private group tours?
- Yes! If you are interested in arranging a private group event or booking a private walking tour, please click on the "Contact Backbeat" link for more information.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
In addition to the walking ghost tour, Backbeat also offers a walking history tour of downtown Memphis, and several bus sightseeing tours. Check out all these one-of-a-kind tours today!