This 90-minute tour also offers an optional guided tour of the world-famous Sun Studio where Elvis launched his career and recorded the music the changed the world. (If you choose to visit Sun Studio the tour will last about 2.5 hours.)
See exciting Elvis sites such as:
- Sun Studio
- The Lauderdale Courts apartment
- Elvis’ high school
- The Overton Park Shell, the amphitheater where he performed his first big show in 1954
- The original Lansky Bros. clothing store
- The former Memphian Theater
- Chisca Hotel, home of WHBQ radio station
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance in order to guarantee your spots on the tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, book well in advance!
- Can children go on the tour?
- We love children! Children between the ages of 7 and 12 have a reduced priced ticket. Children under 7 can come on the tour for free and must also secure a ticket. Due to the policies of Sun Studio, children ages 3 and younger will not be admitted to the optional one hour guided tour of Sun Studio. If you choose to visit Sun Studio and have a child age 3 or younger with you, you will be asked to wait outside with your child for the duration of the Sun Studio tour.
- What happens if it rains?
- The tour will run rain or shine. As we are usually in the bus or inside, rain should not be a problem. In the event of unsafe or severe weather that would force us to cancel the tour, you would be able to reschedule subject to availability or receive credit for a future event.
- If the tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately we do not have waiting lists for our tours. Check another date and time, or check out our other offered tours!
- Can you pick me up at my hotel?
- Almost all tour attendees meet us at our standard starting location, which is at a convenient corner in downtown Memphis. In certain situations and from certain hotels, we may be able to pick you up at your hotel if you are unable to meet us at the usual location. This would need to be arranged prior to ticket purchase, however, so if you're interested in finding out whether a hotel pick-up is possible for your group, please use the "Contact Backbeat" link to inquire.
- Are there any stops during the tour?
- There is an optional stop at the end of the tour to tour Sun Studio. The tour of the studio will be about an hour long if you choose to participate.
- Will we go into any of the stops on the tour?
- There will be an optional tour of Sun Studio at the end of the 90 minute tour. If you choose to visit Sun Studio, note that the tour will then be about 2.5 hours long. Please keep in mind that children under 3 are not allowed on the tour of Sun Studio.
- How much walking is involved?
- Our 90 minute tour involves no walking. If you choose to visit Sun Studio, you will be on your feet for the duration of the Sun Studio tour (approximately 1 hour), but walking is limited.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour will end exactly where it began!
- Who will my tour guide be?
- You will not be guaranteed to have any particular tour guide on the tour. All of our guides are certified, professional, Memphis musicians and will provide you with a fun, unforgettable experience!
- Should I tip my tour guide?
- If you enjoyed the trip, tips are highly appreciated!
- What is the difference between your tours?
- Our Hound Dog tour is very focused on Elvis, his life, the secrets behind the King's persona, and includes a one hour guided tour of Sun Studio. The Mojo tour is a more general overview of Memphis; we visit all the major areas (including a brief stop at Sun Studio), learn all about the different genres of music so famous in Memphis, and more. The Extended Mojo tour includes a one-hour guided tour of Sun Studio or the Stax Museum. The Graceland tour takes you up to Graceland and provides you with a platinum pass so you can see all it has to offer! We also offer a daytime walking tour of Historic Memphis, and an evening walking tour of Haunted Memphis.
- Are there any foods or beverages on the bus?
- There are no foods or beverages served on the bus; however, there are some beverages available at the meeting location. Water and sodas are $2, and beer is $4.50.
- Can I bring my own food and beverages on board?
- Yes! You can bring any foods, alcoholic, or nonalcoholic beverages you would like on the bus. Keep in mind that you will be asked to keep your alcoholic beverages on the bus during the Sun Studio portion of the tour if you choose to participate.
- What should I bring with me on the tour?
- We recommend that you bring cash in case you'd like to purchase souvenirs at the Sun Studio gift shop. Bring your camera as well, but most of all, bring good spirits!
- Can I bring an instrument or sing along?
- Yes! Feel free to bring an instrument with you if you feel so inclined. The more music the merrier!
- Which bus will we be going on?
- We have two vintage style buses at Backbeat - "Miss Clawdy", and the newest addition to our fleet, "Sweet Caroline." Both are styled in the classic red and yellow color scheme typical of 1950s transit buses. On rare occasions, we may have to substitute a regular tour bus for one of our vintage style buses.
- Are there restrooms on the bus?
- No, there aren't restrooms on either of our buses. However, you will have access to the restrooms at Sun Studio.
- Is there assigned seating on the bus?
- Nope! Seating is first come first served.
- Is the bus heated or air conditioned?
- Both of our buses are heated on cold days and air conditioned on hot days. You will be comfortable for the duration of the tour!
- Do you offer private group tours?
- Yes! If you are interested in chartering our bus for a private group event, please click on the "Contact Backbeat" link for more information.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Children 3 years of age and younger will not be admitted into Sun Studio.
- Due to the policies of Sun Studio, children 3 years of age and younger will not be allowed to attend the Sun Studio tour. If you choose to visit Sun Studio on the 2.5 hour tour and have a child 3 years old or younger, you will be asked to wait outside with your child for the duration of the Sun Studio tour.
In addition to the Elvis based Hound Dog Tour, Backbeat Tours also offers an entertaining city tour called the Memphis Mojo Tour, a Graceland Tour, a walking tour of Historic Memphis, and a Memphis ghost tour. Check out all these one-of-a-kind tours today!