** This is NOT A GHOST TOUR! **
>> This is an ADULTS ONLY tour. SCANDALS, MURDER & SIN! <<
Wicked Charleston is an irreverent look at the dirty secrets of Charleston's cloistered elite such as prostitutes, politicians, transvestites, serial killers, wayward ministers, and murderous gangsters.
See sights such as:
- Market Hall - a national landmark
- The Big Brick - Charleston's most notorious brothel, closed in the1950's and currently in use as an office building.
- Several historic churches and graveyards
- Stroll down a cobblestone street
There are other adult-oriented tours, but this is THE ONE that sets the standard. If you want to explore the dark side of the Holy City, who better to guide you than the man who wrote the books on the subject?
What Is Not Included?
Alcohol is NOT recommended. The city of Charleston has a strict open container policy for sidewalks. However, your guide Mark knows where all the good bars are. Just ask!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- We highly recommend it. Tour group size is limited to 12 people. Tours often sell out. They only way to guarantee a spot is through advance purchase.
- Is this tour suitable for children?
- NO! It is a frank discussion of crime, sex, serial killers and other entertaining, but unsavory topics. If you are easily offended, you will be. It you are not easily offended, we'll do our best. The tour is only appropriate for those 18 years of age or older.
- How does Black Cat Tours differ than the other walking tours in Charleston?
- We can guarantee quality. Mark and Rebel are published authors, historians and paranormal investigators. Both are full time guides who have given more than 10,000 tours. Any tour booked with Black Cat guarantees a professional full-time guide.
- What happens when it rains?
- We will get wet. Tours will go rain or shine unless there are severe conditions which include: lightning, hurricanes, plagues of locusts, and an invading Yankee Army. Your Black Cat guide will make the final decision. Vouchers will be issued.
- How long is the tour?
- The Wicked Charleston tour is a 90 minute leisurely stroll of the historic streets and back alleys of downtown Charleston; it covers less than 10 blocks. If that sounds strenuous then consider the tour as the beginning of your new exercise regime.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- These are walking tours, and we often stroll down narrow alleyways and uneven sidewalks that are not always handicap accessible. Handicap tours are always available with proper advance notice. Contact us by clicking on the "Contact BlackCatTour" link to tell us about your situation!
- Can I bring a stroller?
- Since this tour is only appropriate for those ages 18 and up, no strollers are allowed.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour ends in the same place it begins. Details on our meeting spot will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- Are there places to sit during the tour?
- Yes, of the 90 minutes that we'll be touring, about 30 minutes are walking and the rest of the time is spent at various sights where there are benches and places to rest!
- Is there anything to eat or drink?
- Although food and drink are not included on the tour, there are numerous cafes and other places to grab a bite near our meeting spot. Bring some extra money with you just in case!
- Can I bring a pet on the tour?
- Yes, pets are allowed as long as they are well behaved and you pick up after them. All pets must be leashed and kept quiet as to not disturb other customers.
- Are there bugs?
- We are in the South and we occasionally might have some mosquitoes or other pests out and about. If you're prone to bug bites, bring some bug spray with you!
- Will we go inside any of the sights?
- No, we will visit many historic and interesting landmarks, but we will not go inside any of the locations featured on the tour. However, graveyards in Charleston are FREE to tour during daylight hours.
- Are private tours available?
- Yes, private tours are available for your party or group. To inquire about a private tour, please click on the "Contact BlackCatTour" link and let us know what you're interested in.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Unfortunately, at this time gift certificates are not available.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Participants must be age 18 or above.
- Because of the mature content on the tour, all participants must be at least 18 years of age.
Black Cat Tours LLC
His first book Wicked Charleston: The Dark Side of the Holy City was published in 2005 and is in its fifth printing. In 2006, Jones released Wicked Charleston, Vol. II: Prostitutes, Politics and Prohibition. Together, the two Wicked Charleston books make up the most unusual and entertaining history ever written about the Holy City.
Mark has been featured on NPR, MSNBC, TNT and CMT discussing Charleston's wicked history.