By touring the city on foot, locals and tourists alike uncover the hidden gem restaurants and establishments that you just don’t see driving by. On this tour, we’ll sample the best offerings from:
- Two of Lexington’s finest, upscale restaurants
- An eclectic casual/comfort food restaurant that incorporates vegetarian/vegan options
- The city's first downtown urban market
- A Lexingtonian favored ‘watering hole’
- The Lexington Farmer's Market
- A casual favorite and popular gathering spot before University of Kentucky Wildcat basketball games
- Main Street
- Gratz Park
- Victorian Square
- Cheapside District
All Tastings Are Included In The Price
Enough food is served that for most participants, lunch afterward is not needed. A bottle of water will be provided at the start of the tour. Tasting locations subject to change.
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance to guarantee your spot. To maximize your chances of getting the tour you want, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- Can children attend this tour?
- While children are absolutely welcome with adult supervision, it is requested that parents consider the tour length (2.75-3 hours and 1.3 miles) and the amount of walking and standing. We request that parents assess the situation individually and use discretion to determine if the tour is appropriate for their children and as a courtesy to other tour participants. We want parents and children alike to have a great time! Infants or children under the age of 7 do not need tickets if they will not be participating in the tastings. If they are participating in the tastings, a ticket is required. Please let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets. While strollers are acceptable to use on the walk, it is not feasible to take them into many of the tasting stops.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there may be a possibility that we can either add another tour or include a few more people to the scheduled tour. Please contact us directly by clicking on the "Contact BleuPlate" link to let us know which date you are interested in.
- Is time allotted for shopping during the tour?
- Since the tour restaurant stops prepare for our arrival based on a designated time and we have so much to cover during the tour, we do not allow time at any stops for shopping. You will be provided a printed guide at the beginning of the tour, so you can easily return to your favorite stores to shop at the end of the tour. The purchase of additional beverages (alcohol and soft drinks) is feasible and permitted.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are 6 stops for food tastings and 1 stop for a local soft beverage on the tour. For most people, there is enough food that lunch afterwards is not necessary.
- What types of food are served on the tour?
- Tastes are both savory and sweet from a variety of establishments.
- What if I have dietary restrictions, require vegetarian/vegan or have food allergies?
- Unfortunately, at this time the tour offerings are standard and cannot be deviated. It is our goal to be able to offer our guests pre-arrangement options to accommodate various needs in the near future. Guests are certainly welcome to participate in the tour and simply refrain from the particular tastings that they identify as a restricted food item.
- Should I give the guide a tip?
- Tipping tour guides is customary in the industry, especially if you had a great time and wish to recognize the guide for a job well done. A tip is greatly appreciated.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We do have one stop where a locally produced, popular soft beverage is provided. Additionally, one stop will provide coffee and another water. We will also be providing each participant with a bottle of water at the start of the tour.
- Is there any alcohol served on the tour?
- There are no wine tastings or other alcoholic beverages served on this tour. However, numerous opportunities to purchase alcoholic beverages will be available.
- Are there restrooms on the tour?
- Yes, there are bathrooms available at designated stops along the way. In an effort to maintain scheduled arrival times at each location, we will specifically encourage restroom stops at two locations (where there are more facilities and restroom stops will be quicker).
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- All of the establishments we visit are wheelchair accessible. Sidewalk ramps are present throughout the walking tour. A small amount of cobblestone sidewalks are present, however they are navigable by wheelchair (maybe just a bit of a bumpy ride).
- Why would a Lexington or Central Kentucky local take this tour?
- Unless you live in the immediate neighborhood of this tour, chances are good that you may not be familiar with what's there or new and different. And if you do not frequently walk the downtown area, you will be amazed at what you see on foot that you had no idea was there. What we see driving by is a fraction of what we discover on foot. For instance – if you do not know where Sunrise Bakery is located, then you will DEFINITELY see lots of new things. It’s on Main Street next to Bellini’s yet tucked away with a small sign on the door that’s not very visible when driving by. But it’s certainly visible when you walk by! We think locals will find a food tasting tour to be a fun and novel alternative to the usual leisurely lunch, and locals just might find a few new favorite haunts along the way. It’s a great day trip, girls’ day out or fun activity you want to enjoy with friends.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes. At this time we are only offering tours in English. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact us by clicking on the "Contact BleuPlate" link.
- How far do we walk? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We walk approximately 1.3 miles on flat ground (no hills or inclines). It is strongly encouraged that all tour participants wear comfortable walking shoes. We walk at a comfortable, leisurely to moderate pace with frequent stops most of the way except for a 4-5 block stretch through a historic district following the third stop. The tour ends only one block from the starting location.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Not at all! Aside from sampling delicious food from a variety of food establishments along the way, you will also get an insider's look at what life in downtown Lexington is like. The tour is fully narrated by your guide who will fill you in on interesting tidbits and historic anecdotes about the neighborhoods, from its history to its residential character and more. The tour guide will also point out and discuss noteworthy restaurants, bars, clubs and theaters in the neighborhood which participants may choose to explore on their own at a later time.
- How should I dress?
- Tour participants are encouraged to dress comfortably and according to weather conditions. Casual attire is acceptable and encouraged as are comfortable shoes. In the event of forecasted weather conditions, accessories such as umbrellas, rain coats, gloves, hats or coats are encouraged.
- What if I don’t want to carry anything on the tour?
- All tour participants are provided with a complimentary cloth backpack should you desire to carry your belongings and leave your hands free. Items such as water bottles, cameras, purses and umbrellas can easily be carried leaving your hands free to sample the delicious food! You can get your backpack at the beginning to use it during the tour. Or, should you not desire to use it and don’t want to carry it on the tour, you can wait to pick yours up until after the tour. Either way, you get a nice, new, cool backpack!
- What happens in the event of inclement weather?
- The tour is held rain or shine. If the weather is extremely inclement, (e.g. tornado warnings, heavy snow or highly severe thunder storms), the tour may be cancelled. Refunds or reschedules will be offered in the extremely rare event that we have to cancel the tour.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located right across from the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
- Are tours pet friendly?
- Although our four-legged friends would love to taste, too, pets are prohibited since we enter various food establishments.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours can be arranged for up to 20 people. Please click on the "Contact BleuPlate" link and let us know what you're interested in!
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, indeed. Please click on the "Contact BleuPlate" link to make a request for more information.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. Very rarely there may be storm events that pose safety hazards and warrant tour cancellation (tornado, blizzard, etc). In this event, you can either reschedule or get a refund.
Bleu Plate Tours
From innovative, upscale spins on regional comfort foods to the favorite late night bites of local watering holes, the focus is tasting foods that best represent the culinary trends and restaurants and to discover the hidden gems.
The result is a walking food tasting tour that offers a side dish of history, a dash of culture and a taste of the Bluegrass.