Blue Planet specializes in private excursions into the Great White Heron National Wildlife Refuge. Our guides have been exploring these haunts for more than 20 years.
This tour is for more adventurous and experienced paddlers looking for unmatched scenery. The pristine, crystal-clear waters of the backcountry, truly stunning for its landscape and a feeling of remoteness, offer you an escape to a quiet world of uninhabited mangrove islands and aquamarine passages.
We can take you to the best spots for photography, snorkeling or tidal walks. If you wish to snorkel, please provide your own gear. Stay out a couple hours or most of the day …It’s all up to you!
Frequently seen wildlife and marine life include:
- Stingrays and small bonnet-head sharks
- Lemon and nurse sharks
- Heron and egret species
- Bald eagles, osprey, ibis, plovers and snipes
Pricing is dependent on duration of tour and distance paddled. This tour is available by request only - let us know if you are interested by clicking on the "Contact Blue Planet" link, at least two weeks before you are interested in going.
Blue Planet also offers a variety of other specialty tours for school groups, company outings, photography tours, and birding excursions! If you are interested in arranging a custom specialty tour for your group, please click on the "Contact Blue Planet" link to let us know what you'd like to do!
- How do I get information about or make arrangements for a specialty tour?
- The wildlife refuge kayak tour and Blue Planet Kayak's other specialty tours can be arranged by request only. Please click on the "Contact BluePlanet" link and let us know what kind of a tour you have in mind, and we'll help you make all the necessary arrangements! Please try to notify us of your request at least two weeks before you're interested in taking the tour.
- Why are there no prices listed for this tour?
- Private tours vary greatly in distance paddled, time on the water and numerous other factors. We are happy to discuss this with you in deciding the price.
- Do I really need to be an experienced paddler for this tour area?
- Yes. Much of the refuge is open to wind and occasionally a light chop. Distances paddled do not require great stamina. However, people tire more often from poor paddling technique than physical limitations. Thus some experience is required.
- Are there gift certificates available for this activity?
- No, gift certificates are not available for the specialty tours, but they are available for many of our regularly operating tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click “List of all activities” to the left of the page, scroll down to the bottom of the next page, and click “Buy a Gift Certificate”!
Blue Planet Kayak Tours
His formal background includes biology, marine science/oceanography, and botany and bird research.
All Blue Planet guides have experience leading eco-tours and are trained in marine or related studies, rescue and first aid. We enjoy sharing our appreciation and knowledge of this very special ecosystem. Blue Planet has been in business since 2001.