Experience the last Italian strangle-hold of Brooklyn...where little old Italian ladies sit outside their houses after dinner. Your guide, Big Rick has lived in the area for 50 yrs and his family is on the same block for 120 yrs!
- Explore an area that dates back to Prohibition
- Visit Al Capone's childhood home
- See the Glory Social Club...one of the few still existing and active social clubs, Big Rick is a member.
- Stop in for a drink at the Canal Bar...once a candy store called Benny's, this was the drop spot for all the number runners in the neighborhood and where Benny himself sat and collected numbers
- See the site of Otto's Club where bodies were found in the basement in 1974.
- See Monte's Venetian Room...Brooklyn's oldest Italian restaurant, once a speak easy during Prohibition, and where Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack hung out after performing in Manhattan
- Walk across the Carroll Street Bridge...the oldest retractable bridge in America, and 1 of only 4 remaining in the U.S.
- Cross the Gowanus Canal which used to be a dumping ground for bodies
- Stop for a drink at Brooklyn Social...once an active social club, its interior was kept intact and it's now one of downtown Brooklyn's coolest bars!
- Hear what it was like growing up in a tough neighborhood
- Visit the oldest bar in Brooklyn, which opened in 1874. Were Al Capone used the basement to still beer.
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- To guarantee your spot on the tour, tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- What happens if it rains?
- The pub crawl takes place rain or shine.
- How much walking will we be doing on the tour?
- We will be walking for about 90 minutes of the tour and will cover about 1 mile on foot. We walk at a very leisurely pace.
- How many stops will we make on the tour?
- We will stop for drinks at 3 bars and we will stay at each bar for about 30 minutes.
- How many drinks are included in the ticket price?
- The price of your ticket includes 1 drink at each of the bars, for a total of 3 drinks throughout the tour.
- How much do drinks cost at the bars that we visit?
- Drink prices range from about $6-$10. Bring extra cash or credit cards if you plan on purchasing additional drinks.
- Can I bring my own drinks on the tour?
- No, you cannot bring your own drinks.
- Will there be any food served on the tour?
- There will not be any food served on the tour. However, the tour will end on Smith St., which is also known as Restaurant Row. You can stop for a bite at any of the restaurants here after the tour.
- Will there be restroom stops along the way?
- There will be restrooms available at the bars where we stop for drinks.
- Is there an age limit for the tour?
- All participants must be at least 21 years old and have a valid ID with them on the tour.
- How long is the tour?
- The tour lasts for about 3 hours.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour will end at the intersection of Smith St. and Carroll St. From here you can enjoy a meal on Restaurant Row or just hop on the Express F train back to Manhattan.
- How far from Manhattan is the tour?
- The meeting spot for the tour is either 2 or 4 train stops into Brooklyn depending on which subway train you take.
- Is the tour only for tourists?
- Not at all! The tour is very informative and can teach just as much to a native New Yorker as to a tourist who has never been to New York before.
- What is the maximum number of people on each tour?
- The tour is limited to 20 people in order to keep it an intimate experience.
- Should I tip the guide?
- Tips are not required, but if you had a great time on the tour, they are much appreciated!
- If the tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately there is no waiting list for our tours. Check out another available time!
- Are tours only given in English?
- Tours will only be offered in English, with a fun twist of Brooklynese!
- Are gift certificates available?
- Gift certificates may be coming soon. Please use the "Contact BrooklynTour" link to request more information.
- Can I schedule a private tour?
- Please use the "Contact BrooklynTour" link to request more information on private tours.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 21 or over with valid ID.
- Each attendee must be age 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID (US or International drivers' licenses, passports, or other government issued ID). Refunds will not be provided for those under age 21 or without sufficient ID.
A Tour Grows in Brooklyn
He started the South Brooklyn Bar Crawl to show people the old Italian neighborhood and a dying culture. People now call the area Gowanus but to those who really know it's South Brooklyn !
So join this ambassador of Brooklyn as he will take you on a personalized journey through time that you won't soon forget.
So if you to see and hear about a bygone era you go with Big Rick!