This 2 1/2 hour tour will immerse you in the history and culture of the Lowcountry. You will discover how our unique cuisine has evolved over the past 300+ years while sampling delicious specialties from local eateries, markets, bakeries, restaurants, and culinary landmarks.
Typical tastings include:
* Stone Ground Grits
* Charleston Benne Wafers
* Locally made gourmet chocolates
* Southern Pralines
* Sweet Tea
* Collard Greens
* Lowcountry Barbeque
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- How much food is served on the tour? What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour includes four to five stops where tastings are offered, but they are not enough to serve as a full meal. Typical tastings include Stone Ground Grits, Benne Wafers, Sweet Tea, pastries, chocolate, Southern Pralines, Collard Greens, and Lowcountry Barbeque.
- How many stops are included on the tour?
- The tour includes four to five stops.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- For the culinary tours, there is only one standard ticket price. Any child 1 year old or above must have a full-priced ticket purchased for them in order to attend. The tour is not recommended for children under 12, but you can bring any children with you, at your discretion, as long as they have a ticket! Infants less than one year old do not need a paid ticket, and you should please just indicate that you’ll be bringing an non-paying infant with you at the time of purchase.
- Will I need to buy lunch after the tour?
- Although we provide a variety of samples for you to try, please keep in mind that this tour will only include a few tastings. You will still want to buy lunch after the tour, as the tour usually does not include enough food for most people to serve as a meal.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Yes! All participants are provided with a bottle of water.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- The tour covers approximately 1 mile. We walk at a very casual pace
- Where does the tour end?
- The tours end about 10 blocks from the original starting point, downtown near Market Street.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- The tour includes a variety of foods at the different locations, so you can choose which foods you are able to sample. Please indicate any allergies or dietary restrictions you have when you are purchasing tickets, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate you.
- What happens if it rains?
- Tours run rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions, so be prepared for the day! We will be stepping inside of buildings during some portions of the tour, but be sure to bring an umbrella or poncho, depending on the forecasted weather conditions.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- Yes. There are bathrooms available at several locations throughout the tour.
- Is the tour wheelchair- and/or stroller-accessible?
- We have had participants with wheelchairs attend the tour in the past. Please keep in mind however, that many of the streets are not very accessible and some places have stairs, so additional maneuvering and planning may be required. You are welcome to bring strollers and they may be left outside the establishments we visit with stairs.
- Who will be leading the tour?
- All of our tour guides a licensed by the City of Charleston and have various culinary qualifications and interests.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, tours are only offered in English. However, our non-English speaking guests always enjoy the experience of visiting Charleston's lovely historic buildings and sampling delicious food tastings along the way.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various shops and historical buildings we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, we can accommodate a variety of special requests! Please click “Contact Bulldog” to the left of the page to inquire further.
- Are gift certificates available for this tour?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Culinary Tours of Charleston are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click “Contact Bulldog”.
More than just the usual Charleston tours, we offer a variety of tours during the day, evening and late-night. Whether it is strolling down the streets, hearing about people from days past in the morning during our Charleston Stroll or taking you on an EXCLUSIVE behind-the-scenes look at the Holy City's graveyards, back alleyways, Provost Dungeon, Old City Jail and deep into Charleston's Haunted Historic District. We now proudly offer the Culinary Tours of Charleston, giving people even more of a look into the unique chemistry that makes up Charleston. Our exclusive food tours highlight our mission to promote South Carolina local artisan growers, and to help preserve South Carolina's rich culinary heritage.
Bulldog Tours is the ONLY walking tour company in Charleston that can take you off and beyond the sidewalks!!!
As seen in USA Today, Southern Living Magazine, The New York Times, and on Country Music Television, Bon Appetit, The Columbus Dispatch, National Public Radio (NPR). , and SCETV, Bulldog's fully licensed, experienced tour guides are sure to entertain, inform, intrigue and delight all those who choose to take a stroll into the city's past.