The Strip District Market tour is a late morning/early afternoon weekday tour featuring a behind the counter look at a variety of eateries in Pittsburgh's historic Strip District.
This tour links local history with the eating establishments peppered along Penn Avenue and tasting samples from around the world including:
- Italian pastries
- Mediterranean delicacies
- European cheeses
- Polish specialties
- Home-made Italian meats
- French bread and more
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours sell out ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting the day and number of tickets you prefer, please book well in advance.
- How much food is served on the food tour?
- Each tour offers at least five tastings with several tours offering six stops for tastings. Enough food is offered during the tour that, for most, a meal afterward is not needed.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if you (or anyone in your group) have a dietary restriction upon booking your tickets. We will do our best to accommodate your needs.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- A bottled water is provided at the beginning of the tour for each participant. You are welcome to bring additional water and/or beverages if you'd like.
- Can I purchase items during the tour?
- In order for us to stay on schedule, we ask that you please wait to shop until after the tour is completed.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour.
- Would this tour be of interest to a local Pittsburgher?
- Yes! Even locals can learn new things about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live.
- Do I need to purchase a ticket for young children or infants?
- If your child (or infant) is not participating in the tastings, you do not need to purchase a ticket for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child upon purchasing your tickets in a "message to the seller". Note that any children who will be participating in the tastings must have a full priced ticket in order to attend.
- How much walking is involved?
- We will be walking 5-6 blocks, and we will be standing for the majority of the tastings, so we recommend that you wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Due to small food establishments, some places are not conducive to strollers or wheelchairs. However, a tour can be customized to accommodate these requirements. Please contact us via the "Contact BurghFoods" link before booking so we can make arrangements for you!
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- Are tours available in other languages?
- Yes, we do have the ability to offer tours in either German or French. If you're interested, please click on the "Contact BurghFoods" link so we can coordinate a special tour for you.
- Do you offer private group tours?
- We welcome private group tours and can accommodate groups of six or more on private tours. Please click on the "Contact BurghFoods" link to request more information.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes. Please click on the "Contact BurghFoods" link to request a gift certificate.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All guests participating in tastings must have a standard ticket.
- Children or infants who will not be participating in tastings may attend without a ticket, but please do let us know how many you will be bringing in a "Message to the Seller" above. Note that the normal tour route is not wheelchair/stroller friendly - please contact us before booking if you'd like to request customizing the route to accommodate them.
'Burgh Bits and Bites Food Tours
In the early nineties she decided to explore her family’s European roots and headed for her father’s native country of Switzerland. Once there, what was meant to be just a few months' visit ended up becoming an eight year sojourn. During her time living and working in the "old country" Sylvia explored the myriad regions of Europe, from Alsacian vineyards to Greek beaches, Italian islands to French countrysides and everywhere in between - soaking up the unique sights, sounds and flavors along the way.
It seemed only natural then to combine a love of good food, an affection for the ‘Burgh and her skills as a tour guide into a specialized walking tour highlighting Pittsburgh’s Strip District’s best bits and tastiest bites. Sylvia currently resides west of Pittsburgh with her husband and their two children.