- Corporate Events / Outings
- Friend / Family Reunions
- Wedding Parties
- Team Building Events
- Special Occasions
- Foodie Groups
- Professional / Client Meetings
- Spouse / Dating Programs
- Travel / Adventure Clubs
On our narrated, walking Private Group Tours, you will learn about Chicago's rich history and treasured architecture while sampling authentic flavors from ethnic eateries and food shops. After the tour, explore Chicago with confidence and take advantage of our full spectrum of cuisine, entertainment, and cultural offerings on and off-the-beaten-path.
Experience Life and Diversity in Chicago
Join us on a Private Group Tour as we offer a unique glimpse into offbeat venues, hidden parks, historic mansions, and majestic row houses while sharing insight on local entertainment and restaurants. As we traverse Chicago's tree-lined streets, we'll prove to you why journalists across the world deem Chicago "America's secret garden."
Learn More About Our Private Group Tours
Private group tours are handled directly with the Seller. Please click “Contact ChicagoFoods” to find out more about reservations, payment, logistics, and availability. Due to the popularity of our tours, we strongly suggest that you book Private Group Tours well in advance.
- How do I book a Private Group Tour?
- Private Group Tours are available only for groups of 12 persons or more. All Private Group Tours are handled and paid in advance of your event. Discount pricing is available for groups who contact and pay 1 month in advance of their Private Group Tour. Please click “Contact ChicagoFoods” to the left of the page to learn more.
- What is the difference between your Public Tours and Private Group Tours?
- Our Public Tours, and their schedules, are made available to any persons wishing to participate in a Food Tour of Chicago. Currently, our Public Tour includes our "Near North Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tour". A Private Group Tour is handled internally with Chicago Food Planet, Inc. between the tour party leader and the seller (ChicagoFoods; or Chicago Food Planet, Inc.). To contact us and learn more about Private Group Tours, please click “Contact ChicagoFoods”.
- What size private groups can you handle?
- Currently, we allow 16 persons per tour guide, up to 3 tour guides total for one Private Group Tour. Tours are staggered by 30 minutes between each group to allow our food tasting locations ample time to prepare and serve the food tastings.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are about 6-7 stops for tastings on the tour. Enough food is served that, for most people, lunch is not necessary afterwards.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please be sure and let us know if you (or anyone in your group) has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually impossible for us to adjust in time to accommodate and we ask you refrain from those particular tastings.
- Can I shop on the tour?
- We ask that you wait to shop until after the tour so that we can stay on schedule and continue with the informative tour and food tastings in a timely manner. Hopefully, you will allow time at the end of the tour to return to your favorite locations and/or stores.
- Are there kosher options on the tour?
- No, a majority of the food tastings are not guaranteed kosher.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for any of Chicago Food Planet's Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tours. To learn more about purchasing a gift certificate, please click on the "List of All Activities" link on the left of the page and then click on the "Buy a Gift Certificate" button. Chicago Food Planet by clicking on the "Contact ChicagoFoods" link.
- Are there vegetarian options on the tour?
- Our tours do not participate in any meat tastings.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We do participate in a tea tasting, but neither water nor other beverages are otherwise provided during the tour. You can, however, purchase water at the beginning of the tour at the specified meeting place.
- Where does the tour finish?
- Generally, our food tours do not finish at the same starting point, but there are plenty of transit options made available to you at the end point to get you back.
- Is wine tasting included on the tour?
- Currently, we do not participate in wine tasting during the tour.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- Depending on which tour you book as a Private Group Tour, your food tastings will vary. Currently, we offer the "Near North Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tour" route for Private Group Tours.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available for groups of up to 16 people per tour guide. To inquire about a private tour, please contact us by clicking the "Contact ChicagoFoods" link, and a Chicago Food Planet representative will follow-up with you.
- Do we only walk around and sample food?
- Absolutely not! Aside from sampling delicious food, you will also experience life in Chicago's various neighborhoods. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss the history, culture, architecture, entertainment offerings, and both on and off-course off-the-beaten-path establishments.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We do not sample food from any sit-down restaurants during the tour. All of the tastings are done on the go, and the food is provided by ethnic eateries and specialty food shops. However, insights to restaurants are shared.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- Our tours generally last approximately 3.5 hours. We are on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We cover a lot of information and ground, so we walk at a moderate pace.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact Chicago Food Planet by clicking on the "Contact ChicagoFoods" link.
- What happens if it rains?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native Chicagoan?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in Chicago. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos during the tour.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
Chicago Food Planet Food Tours
Our adventure truly began 8 years ago when we started exploring Chicago's neighborhoods, investigating alleyways, engaging with residents, sampling cuisine, and shopping local merchants in search of the true Chicago pulse.
Our goal is to tease your taste buds and entice your mind with the sights, flavors, and way of life in Chicago. Our friendly and passionate tour leaders are proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. We recommend taking our tour at the beginning of your stay so you can return and enjoy these wonderful neighborhoods at your leisure.