Discover the best deep dish while taking in amazing sights
On this guided walking tour, you'll learn about the history of deep dish pizza all while taking in amazing sights from interesting architectural gems, to parks, and libraries.† Trace the lines of 19th century Italian immigration to learn how they survived and thrived in this great city.† This tour is suitable for all age groups and fitness levels.†
†Your culinary journey includes:
- Award winning deep dish from the man whose father helped create the original deep dish pizza in 1943
- The history of the Gold Coast development
- All natural stuffed pizza from an enoteca est 1978
- Trompe l'oeil architecture that deceives the eye
- Churches, parks, and a library built 125 years ago
- 19th century Italian immigration
- Deep dish mecca established in 1966
- River North dining & entertainment district
"What's not to love!" - ABC 7
"One of the best unique tours in Chicago" - CBS
"Chicago Pizza Tours kicks its own pizza butt!" - NBC
All Tastings Are Included In The Price
This tour serves as a meal replacement, you receive a full slice at each restaurant.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages other than water - feel free to purchase anything else you would like to drink from the restaurants.
- Commemorative photos - please be sure to bring your cameras and take lots of pictures.† If you email them to us, we'll load them to our gallery!
- Parking at the starting location - street parking is very difficult to find, please plan ahead if driving.
- Will beverages be provided?
- Water will be provided at each restaurant. If you'd like any additional beverages, feel free to purchase them from the restaurants. Remember to bring extra money with you! Please note that you are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages out of the restaurants.
- How many pizzerias do we visit and how much pizza do we get?
- The tour features 3 deep dish pizzerias and you will have a full slice at each pizzeria, so bring your appetite.
- Can children come?
- Of course! Children are welcome to attend as this is a family friendly tour. Please remember that we will walk approximately 3 miles. Kids ages 4-12 can purchase a child ticket price. If you plan to bring children under the age of 4 who will not be participating in the tastings, please let us know when purchasing your tickets.
- What if Iím late?
- You might miss the tour! We leave right on time, and to be fair to the whole group, we cannot wait for late arrivals. If you are not familiar with the meeting location area, please make sure to leave plenty of time to find it. Refunds cannot be provided.
- How long is the tour?
- The tour is approximately 3 hours but could go for up to 3.5 hours - please factor this into your schedule!
- How far will we walk?
- The walk is approximately 3 miles. We will be stopping a few times to sit down for 30 minutes at the restaurants and enjoy our pizza.
- What if the weather is bad?
- Weather won't stop our tour, it goes on rain or shine! Please dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
- Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour starts in the Gold Coast and ends about a 1/4 mile away in the River North neighborhood. Further directions will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What toppings are on the pizzas?
- We plan to provide the signature style of each location, but when ordering your tickets, be sure to tell us your favorite topping!
- What if I have food allergies or dietary restrictions?
- We ask that you please let us know about any dietary restrictions you have upon purchasing your tickets. If you are worried that your restrictions might result in you not being able to participate in any tastings, please do contact us before purchasing by clicking on the "Contact ChicagoPizza" link so we can discuss your options. We will do our best to accommodate any restrictions you have.
- What should I bring?
- We recommend bringing a camera, maybe a bottle of water and definitely your appetite. Water will be served at each restaurant but you are welcome to purchase additional beverages if you'd like - remember to bring extra money with you if you'd like to do so.
- How did you select the locations?
- Just trust me on this one ;-)
- Will we only be eating deep dish?
- Yes, all pizza served on this tour is deep dish
- Who is this tour appropriate for?
- Anyone who wants to taste a variety of Chicago's best deep dish pizzas while seeing some of Chicago's neighborhoods & learning amazing history.
- What if I need to use the restroom?
- You may use the restroom at any of the pizzerias.
- How large is a tour group?
- Tours take out a maximum of 16 people.
- Is the tour stroller or wheelchair accessible?
- How long are we at each pizzeria?
- Approximately 30 minutes.
- May I tip?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory. Your guide will tip the restaurant servers.
- Is parking available?
- This is a tough one... we strongly recommend public transportation, as parking is difficult to find. We start off near the Mag Mile in Chicago. Parking near the Hancock & Water Tower garages are your best bet when driving. Pricing fluctuates and garages may be full, please allow ample time in order to join the tour on time.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Email Chicago Pizza Tours directly by clicking the "Contact ChicagoPizza" link to the left of the page.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for our tours. Please click on the "Contact ChicagoPizza" link to request a gift certificate.
Chicago Pizza Tours
Growing up, Jon and his closest friends were fortunate to have parents that were passionate about pizza.† They were allowed to take the train downtown as long as they promised to head right to the pizzerias and bring home a few slices!† After college, Jon and those same friends moved downtown and lived in several different neighborhoods, tasting several different pizzerias. Sure they hit up the usuals but they found the hidden gems as well.† It got to the point where they became obsessed with finding the best pizza in Chicago! (hint: it is a journey that never ends...)
In 2008 while living in Printer's Row, Jon got to work selecting what he felt would give an amazing culinary experience tasting all types of pizza in Chicago.† After much behind the scenes work & marketing Chicago Pizza Tours was ready to ride on Dough Force One in May 2010.
"One of my favorite things is when friends come to visit Chicago & I bring them out to a joint that I know will knock their socks off.† Just seeing their reaction when they dig on a slice of pizza from a pizzeria I brought them to brings a rush of pride & puts a smile on my face!† I truly feel blessed that now I can do this as a career and I always promise to provide the best tour experience to my patrons."
- Jon, Owner of Chicago Pizza Tours