"We hold the 18th ammendment to be Unconstitutional"
We'll educate you not only about Prohibition and it's consequence in Chicago, but also how Prohibition affected the nation as a whole. You'll learn what led to the 18th amendment's ratification into the constitution, enforcement under the Volstead Act, and ultimately its repeal. The history of Prohibition is rich. From fathering the "Jazz Age", to influencing a sexual revolution to the famous/notorious characters that lived it, you'll hear the stories on a 3.5 - hour speakeasy crawl.
“A Sip Of History on our bus driven tour will be unlike any other Chicago experience. It will be fun, educational, and thought provoking.”
Jonathan Porter, owner
Each former speakeasy we visit will have a different feel to it. Stops include:
- A downtown tavern built in 1872
- A lounge in Wicker Park
- A neighborhood bar in Old Town
- A restaurant in the downtown Loop.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages - Your ticket provides you the opportunity to take a tour, but you are on your own for whatever libations you'd like to indulge in.
- Commemorative photos - please be sure to bring your cameras and take lots of pictures. If you email them to us, we'll load them to our gallery!
- Parking at the starting location - We recommend public transportation. If you have to drive, please plan your route and parking.
- Do I need proof of age?
- Absolutely, Chicago is very strict about checking identification for people consuming alcoholic beverages. The minimum age for this event is 21 years old.
- Will beverages be provided?
- You are responsible for all beverages on this tour. We will have recommendations for you to order with the bartenders.
- How many speakeasies do we visit?
- The tour features 4 speakeasies.
- Can children come?
- No, this is a 21 and over tour and IDs will be checked by every speakeasy.
- What if I’m late?
- You might miss the tour! We leave right on time, and to be fair to the whole group, we cannot wait for late arrivals. If you are not familiar with the meeting location area, please make sure to leave plenty of time to find it. Refunds cannot be provided.
- How long is the tour?
- The tour is approximately 3.5 hours.
- What if the weather is bad?
- Weather won't stop our tour, it goes on rain or shine! You'll be comfortable on our bus year round!
- Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour starts at the Green Door Tavern in River North and ends about 1.5 miles away at Exchequer Restaurant in the loop. Transportation back the starting point will not be provided. Further directions will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What should I bring?
- We recommend bringing a camera, and cash to pay the bartenders for any drinks you would like while on the tour. Please remember to bring your valid, government-issued ID.
- How did you select the locations?
- Just trust me on this one ;-)
- Who is this tour appropriate for?
- Anyone over the age of 21 who enjoys cocktails and Prohibition history.
- What if I need to use the restroom?
- You may use the restroom at any of the speakeasies.
- How large is a tour group?
- Tours take out a maximum of 20 people.
- Can I leave my belongings on the bus?
- The bus driver will stay on board the bus while we are visiting different speakeasies, but we ask that you please do not leave any valuables on the bus.
- May I tip?
- Tour guides, bartenders, and drivers welcome tips at your discretion.
- Is parking available?
- We do not offer parking, please check for street parking but remember to read signs for any restrictions.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Not at this time
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 21 or over with valid ID.
- Each attendee must be age 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID. Each establishment will be asking for ID from tour participants, and refunds will not be provided for those under age 21 or without sufficient ID.
Chicago Pizza Tours
During the winter season of the pizza tour, Jonathan & Jonathan spent enormous amounts of time researching and cross referencing information to piece together the story of prohibition in the U.S. with a focus on Chicago. "We were floored at the reception we received from current establishments that operated as speakeasies during the period." Wanting to tell their story as a way to showcase people's Chicago experience was a natural fit.
After months of planning and replanning, the very first version of the Original Chicago Prohibition Tour was developed and ready to showcase. Our patrons could see Chicago the way it operated nearly one hundred years ago in a time when the Wets and the Drys fought for control of the United States.