This fun and delicious tour takes place in the heart of Manhattan's East Village and includes at least 7 different tasting stops. On this tour you will:
- Try some homemade Eastern European style delicacies like homemade pierogi and/or soup.
- Enjoy a juicy NY hot dog like a local.
- Have homemade kielbasi and great deli meats and rye bread!
- Savor some locally made ice cream and/or pastries.
- Taste a hot slice of NY style cheese pizza at an authentic neighborhood pizza joint.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with an old fashioned Egg Cream!
This is not only a tasting adventure, but enough food for a meal for most people!
What Is Not Included?
Bottled water is not included. Guests may fill their bottles at certain sites. However, other beverage samples will be offered on most tours.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance to guarantee your spots. Tours sell out quickly! Tickets can be purchased with a Visa or Mastercard.
- How much food will I eat on the tour?
- Plenty. While the order of the stops may not be the usual order you'd eat a meal, the AMOUNT of FOOD is the equivalent of a FULL MEAL for most people. You'll be tasting a variety of foods and beverages such as pizza, frankfurters, bagels, cold cuts, ice cream, cookies and other ethnic treats. If you're a vegetarian, we can serve you samples without animal protein.
- How long is the tour?
- This tour is approximately 2 1/2 hours in length.
- Will I learn about New York City on this tour?
- Yes. Our guides are all licensed New York City Sightseeing Guides, and they will incorporate important information about the neighborhood you are touring into the tour. This tour covers the East Village, a neighborhood filled with students, artists and a lot of immigrant history.
- What if I have food allergies or dietary restrictions?
- Please let the guide know what you cannot eat at the beginning of the tour. We'll do everything we can to arrange substitutes for you. If you need to skip the food at a particular stop, we'll make sure you get an extra sample at another stop. Please MAKE SURE NOT TO EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING BEFORE ASKING ABOUT ITS INGREDIENTS if you have concerns. If your guide doesn't know, she'll ask the vendor.
- Is this tour recommended for tourists?
- Yes. If this is your first time to NY or your twentieth, you'll enjoy this tour and promise that you'll visit places, hear stories and taste foods that you haven't experienced before.
- I'm from New York. Is the tour still good for me?
- Absolutely! On our tours you will explore hidden places that you probably do not know of, meet purveyors and learn many new things about foods. You will see some of the coolest spots in the city, and experience your hometown in a totally new way.
- Is there a lot of walking on the tour?
- The walking on the tour will cover approximately 3/4 - 1 mile. We will walk at a leisurely pace, so you should have no problem. During much of the tour, you'll be standing, so please wear comfortable shoes.
- How much should I tip the guide?
- The average tip per person on this tour is $5. If you thought the guide did an outstanding job, then please be a bit more generous, if you can.
- If this trip is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately there are no waiting lists for the tours. Please check another date/time for availability!
- Do you take cash?
- You can pay in cash at the start of the tour, but there is no way for us to guarantee that there will be room available if you purchase in this manner. We recommend that you book in advance to get the day and time you really want!
- Where will the tour end?
- The tour will end close to 14th St. and 3rd Ave., near Union Square.
- What places will we go on the tour?
- We will be visiting several restaurants and eateries. The variety of food on our tour will astound you! You will have the opportunity to purchase additional items, if you choose, at all of the stops.
- Will I be able to drink anything on the tour?
- Yes! You won't be able to taste beverages at every single stop, but at one or two stops along the tour we will be having coffee, tea, or water. Also, one of the tastings on the tour is a tasty egg cream drink. Please bring a water bottle if you need more beverages than that!
- What happens if it rains?
- We will still go in light rain and other moderate weather conditions. If in the event of severe weather the tour were canceled, you would be allowed to reschedule your tickets subject to availability or receive credit for a future event.
- Is there an age minimum for the tour?
- Yes. Our tours are designed for children 8 and up. We find that younger children, no matter how cute, don't have the stamina and attention spans required. Out of courtesy to the other guests and the vendors, if your children become excessively unruly and disrupt the tour, we may have to ask you to leave the tour.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Some of the stops on our tour are wheelchair accessible, and others are not. However, we encourage anyone in a wheelchair to come on the tour, and we will make any necessary accommodations. Please click “Contact CityFoods” to let us know your needs!
- Do you have private tours?
- Yes, we do offer private tours. Please click “Contact CityFoods” to the left of the page to request more information.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely! Please click “Contact CityFoods” to request more information.
City Food Tours & Events
Most of our tours focus on artisanal or handmade foods. Our guides are both food and city experts, with most being professionally trained chefs.
We specialize in doing private and corporate tours for groups of 2 - 90. We also do private seated guided tastings for our private clients -- including wine & chocolate, beer & cheese, aphrodisiacs and more.
City Food Tours founder, Joyce Weinberg, is a recognized authority on artisanal or handmade foods. She judges national chocolate contests, conducts programs for The Stone Barns Center, The American Museum of Natural History, Mohonk Mountain House, The National Association of Specialty Food Retailers, and countless other corporate, private, and non-profit organizations.
Joyce is regularly quoted in the media, heard on the radio, and seen on TV for her food expertise. She is a former restaurateur, Fortune 500 food brand manager, and teaches at NYU. Joyce is also a catering expert, and her book, "The Everything Guide to The Catering Business," is available at Amazon.com and other book retailers around the country.