Discover some of the newest, best, and coolest eateries, shops & restaurants in Manhattan while eating and learning about some of the most delicious desserts and beers you've ever had!
Taste a wide variety of treats including :
- Chocolate truffles & bon bons
- Crunchy, gooey fresh baked cookies
- Decadent pastries & savory bites
- Varietal dark chocolate
- Creamy hazelnut gelato
- And a flight of 4 craft beers!
If you love eating, exploring & having fun then bring your friends and join us for this decadent experience on Manhattan's Upper West Side!
What Is Not Included?
Bottled water is not included. Guests may fill their bottles at certain sites. At least one stop will have water available even for those without bottles.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Tickets must be purchased in advance to guarantee your spots. Tours sell out quickly! Tickets can be purchased with a Visa or Mastercard.
- If this trip is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately there are no waiting lists for the tours. Please check another date/time for availability!
- How much food will I eat on the tour?
- Quite a bit! This is a chocolate, cheese and desserts tour, so there won't be much in the way of veggies or protein! Try to eat a light lunch before the tour -- otherwise you might get a bit of a sugar rush! The number of stops varies depending on the day of the tour, but generally speaking, each tour will have at least 6 stops with the last stop being a pretty comprehensive beer tasting. Please keep in mind that our tours are not designed to offer balanced meals, but to be tasting adventures!
- What happens if it rains?
- The tour will take place in all light rain and moderate weather conditions. In rare circumstances such as a heavy snow storm, a hurricane, or other extreme weather that prevents the tour venues from opening, the tour will be canceled. You will be allowed to reschedule subject to availability.
- How long is the tour?
- This tour is approximately 2 1/2 hours in length. Ask your tour guide if you have concerns about tour duration. Our guides will try to accommodate you if at all possible.
- Will I learn about New York City on this tour?
- Yes. Our guides are all licensed New York City Sight Seeing Guides, and they will incorporate important information about the neighborhood you are touring into their narrative. The focus of this tour, though, is to teach you a lot about chocolate, frozen desserts and baked treats.
- What if I have food allergies or dietary restrictions?
- Please let the guide know what you cannot eat at the beginning of the tour. We'll do everything we can to arrange substitutes for you. If you need to skip the food at a particular stop, we'll make sure you get an extra sample at another stop.
- Is there a lot of walking on the tour?
- The walking on this tour will cover about 1 mile total over a couple of hours. We will walk at a very leisurely pace, stopping often and eating, so you should have no problem. While during most of the tour we will be standing, there will be some opportunities to sit for a few minutes at a few of the places that we visit.
- What places will we go on the tour?
- We will be visiting the best chocolatiers, hidden gems, new hot spots and more. We'll also visit an innovative brewery and taste some delicious beer and chocolate pairings.
- Will I be able to drink anything on the tour?
- Yes! Our tour includes tasting four different and delicious craft beers. In addition, at one or two stops along the tour water will be available. Please bring a water bottle if you'd like. You'll be able to fill it up on the tour. Of course, a variety of beverages will be for sale along the way, so bring extra cash if you might want to pick something up.
- How much beer will I taste on this tour?
- In total, you'll have almost a pint. You'll experience a flight of 4 different beers, paired with artisanal cheeses and varietal chocolates.
- I'm from New York. Is the tour still good for me?
- Absolutely! On our tours you will explore hidden places that you probably do not know of, meet purveyors and learn many new things about foods. You will see some of the coolest spots in the city, and experience your hometown in a totally new way.
- Is there an age minimum for the tour?
- Yes. Since there is beer served on the tour, all participants must be at least 21 years of age. Sorry, no children on this tour.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Some of the stops on our tour are wheelchair accessible, and others are not. However, we encourage anyone in a wheelchair to come on the tour, and we will make any necessary accommodations. Please let us know when you book your tickets if anyone in your party will be in a wheelchair.
- What is the Upper West Side like?
- The Upper West Side is one of the most charming neighborhoods in Manhattan. It's home to The American Museum of Natural History, The Dakota Apartments, Lincoln Center and many great shops and restaurants. It's a popular residential area with many great new eateries. The area is very family friendly.
- Should I give the guide a tip?
- Yes. If you enjoyed the tour, we recommend that you give the guide (and assistant if it's a larger tour) a gratuity. They take pride in what they do and appreciate positive feedback and receiving a tip. What you tip is up to you. If you want a rule of thumb, $5 per person is an average tip.
- Are their restrooms on the tour?
- Yes. Some of the stops on the tour will have a restroom that you may use. Ask your guide which venues have such facilities.
- Where will the tour end?
- The tour will end about a half mile north of the starting point -- possibly a bit farther depending on the day. Ask you guide for the closest subway or bus stop.
- Will I be able to shop at all on the tour?
- Yes. There will be some time on the tour for you to buy chocolates, beer and other goodies. If you want to make purchases, please do so as soon as possible. Please let your guide know if you need a couple of extra minutes.
- Do you take cash?
- You can pay in cash at the start of the tour, but there is no way for us to guarantee that there will be room available if you purchase in this manner. We recommend that you book in advance to get the day and time you really want!
- Do you have private tours?
- Yes, we do offer private tours. Please click “Contact CityFoods” to the left of the page for more information.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely! Please purchase from our Gift Certificate Store on our site, http://www.cityfoodtours.com. Look for the tab on the upper right.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 21 or over with valid ID.
- Each attendee must be age 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID (US or International drivers' licenses, passports, or other government issued ID). Refunds will not be provided for those under age 21 or without sufficient ID.
City Food Tours & Events
Owner Joyce Weinberg is regularly quoted in the media, heard on the radio, and seen on TV for her food expertise. She is a former restaurateur, Fortune 500 food brand manager, and teaches at NYU. Joyce is also a catering expert, and her book, "The Everything Guide to The Catering Business," is available at book retailers around the country.