If you love people watching, eating, and learning about New York's history, then join us for this fun and decadent experience that is suitable for kids and kids at heart!
Children are free with a paying adult on this special discounted tour! (Tickets are normally $43.50 for adults and $29 for children.) Please let us know the name and age of each child coming in the NOTES section when booking.
On this tour, you will taste:
- Old fashioned candy
- Kid friendly cookies or donuts
- Hand cut french fries
Come in costume and feel right at home on the colorful Lower East Side. We can't think of a better way to celebrate Halloween.
Our tours are small and personal with no more than 16 people going out at a time. Please note that stops vary by day due to changing operating hours.
What Is Not Included?
Bottled water is not included. Guests may fill their bottles at certain sites. However, other beverage samples will be offered on most tours.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance to guarantee your spots. Tours sell out quickly! Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- What if I have food allergies or dietary restrictions?
- Please let the guide know what you cannot eat at the beginning of the tour. We'll do everything we can to arrange substitutes for you. If you need to skip the food at a particular stop, we'll make sure you get an extra sample at another stop.
- Are children allowed on the tour?
- We love kids (our owner has a 6 year-old), so this tour is great for kids 6 and up. Please note that EVERY CHILD must be accompanied by an adult.
- Will we be “Trick or Treating” on this tour?
- We will be enjoying treats during the tour courtesy of City Food Tours. We'll also ask local merchants for treats. Bring a bag for treats.
- Will this tour be scary?
- If this trip is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately there are no waiting lists for the tours. Please check another date/time for availability! We have Halloween tours running on Saturday and Sunday.
- What happens if it rains?
- The tour will take place in all light weather conditions. In rare circumstances such as a heavy snow storm, a hurricane, or other extreme weather and the tour venues can't open, the tour will be canceled, and you will be allowed to reschedule subject to availability.
- What places will we visit on the tour?
- We will visit several popular places on the Lower East Side and taste candy, cupcakes, cookies, pizza, etc.. The variety of food on our tour will astound you!
- How much food will I eat on the tour?
- We'll be eating as much as we can in an hour! Not enough to get a bellyache but enough so that you're certainly not starving! Please keep in mind that our tours are not designed to be a balanced meal, but a tasting adventure! So, you may not taste things in the same order you would for a proper meal.
- Will I be able to drink anything on the tour?
- Yes! You won't be able to taste beverages at every single stop, but at one or two stops along the tour we will be having coffee, tea, or water. Please bring a water bottle if you need more beverages than that!
- Is there a lot of walking on the tour?
- The walking on the tour will cover less than half a mile. It is designed for kids to be able to do easily. Please leave the strollers at home.
- Will I learn about New York City on this tour?
- Yes. Our guides are all licensed New York City Sight Seeing Guides, and they will incorporate important information about the neighborhood you are touring into their narrative.
- I'm from New York. Is the tour still good for me?
- Absolutely! On our tours you will explore hidden places that you probably do not know of, meet purveyors and learn many new things about foods. You will see some of the coolest spots in the city, and experience your hometown in a totally new way.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Some of the stops on our tour are wheelchair accessible, and others are not. However, we encourage anyone in a wheelchair to come on the tour, and we will make any necessary accommodations. Please click “Contact CityFoods” to let us know your needs!
- Do you have private tours?
- Yes, we do offer private tours. Please click “Contact CityFoods” to the left of the page for more information.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely! Please click “Contact CityFoods” to request more information.
- Will people at the restaurants we visit be in costume?
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Each Standard ticket is good for one adult and one child (ages 5-12).
- This tour is intended for children and families. One child per paying adult. Sorry, but children under 5 are not allowed.
City Food Tours & Events
Joyce Weinberg, founder and highly regarded food expert and author, has been in the food business for more than 20 years. She is a recognized authority on artisanal, or handmade foods. She judges national chocolate contests, conducts programs for The Stone Barns Center, The American Museum of Natural History, The Junior League, The National Association of Specialty Food Retailers, and countless other corporate, private, and non-profit organizations.
Joyce is regularly quoted in the media, heard on the radio, and seen on TV for her food expertise. She is a former restaurateur, Fortune 500 food brand manager, and teaches at NYU. Joyce is also a catering expert, and her book, "The Everything Guide to The Catering Business," is available at book retailers around the country.