Dating back to 1836, the neighborhood was originally incorporated as part of Ohio City before being annexed by Cleveland after the civil war. For generations, it was an enclave to immigrants from Eastern Europe; their influence can still be seen and felt to this day.
In recent years, the neighborhood has seen serious growth and development, as it has become a food lover destination. Its architecture and culture remain.
Our Tremont Food Tour will explore the progression of the neighborhood’s cuisine, from its ethnic working class roots to the high end gastronomic experiences available today.
Your food tour may include the following:
- Artisanal charcutterie, paired with local cheeses
- Authentic Thai cuisine
- Wood fired pizzas using locally sourced ingredients
- Upscale award winning soul food
- Local beer or wine
- Hand made desserts
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- We will stop at 4 sit down restaurants during the tour. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterwards is not necessary.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- We will stop at 4 sitdown restaurants that include the following types of food: Artisanal charcutterie, paired with local cheeses Authentic Thai cuisine, Wood fired pizzas using locally sourced ingrediants, Upscale award winning soul food, Local beer or wine and Hand made desserts.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Yes, we will provide water at all stops and one alcoholic beverage at one of the restaurants on the tour.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually not possible for us to appropriately adjust the food on the tour.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour. It should be noted, however, that the tour is 3.5 hours long. Some children have a limited attention span and therefore the tour may not be appropriate for some of them. Parents, who know their children best, should assess the situation on a case by case basis. Since there is some standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tour is appropriate for your child.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- If you are bringing children below the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings, you do not need to purchase tickets for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at all 4 of the restaurant stops.
- How much walking is involved?
- We are on our feet for approximately half of the tour. We cover a good deal of information yet walk at a comfortable pace. We sit at most restaurants for 15-20 minutes each. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
- Is the tour wheelchair and stroller accessible?
- While most of the terrain is flat surfaced, some of our restaurant stops have 1 or 2 steps. With enough notice we may be able to accommodate anyone with a wheelchair or stroller. If you or someone in your group will have a wheelchair or stroller, please click on the "Contact CleFoodTours" link to discuss your specific situation with us directly before booking.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Absolutely not! Aside from enjoyng the delicious food, you will also experience life as we traverse the streets of the Historic Tremont neighborhood. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss the history, culture, architecture and entertainment and ofcourse the cuisine that Tremont has to offer.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour will finish with in a short walking distance from the starting point.
- Can I shop on the tour?
- We reccommend not shopping during the tour as we do not have enough time to do so. We ask that you take time before or after the tour to purchase any items in and around Tremont.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos throughout the tour.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there is ample free street parking in the Tremont neighborhood. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
- Does the tour guide accept gratuities?
- Yes, it is customary to tip the tour guide at the end of the tour. Tour guide gratuities are not included in the ticket price. Industry standard is between $5-7 per person.
- Are there gift certificates available for the tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and make an ideal gift for birthdays, holidays, or any occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact CleFoodTours" link to make a request.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. To inquire about booking a private group tour, please click on the "Contact CleFoodTours" link.
Taste Cleveland Food Tours
Our food tours and events have been featured in numerous magazines and newspapers, including The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, The Indianapolis Star, Cleveland Magazine, The Baltimore Sun, and Bon Appetite Magazine.
Cleveland is undergoing a culinary awakening; indigenous cuisine is mixing with progressive, while authentic ethnic enclaves continue to grow in number. The heart of the city, fully rejuvenated, teams with excitement, nightlife, and fantastic dining options. We want to open your mind and your palette, show you the architectural highlights, and recount the rich history of the city of Cleveland. Taste Cleveland Food Tours is a proud part of Food Tour Corporation.