This is NOT a sightseeing tour. This is a shopping trip, the type usually reserved for stylists or the rich & famous. Whether you are 18 or 80, yoru can experience true bargainista bliss on this trek through New York City's exciting Garment District! A personal shopper will lead you behind the scenes for exclusive access to Private Wholesale Showrooms, not open to the public & available ONLY to Elegant Tightwad .. Buy current season designer clothes & accessories at wholesale prices & below.
Each highly trained personal shopper, is knowledgeable about cutting edge trends.giving guests a real behind the scenes look into everything the fast paced world of NYC fashion has to offer. Plus you'll ge tips & suggestions for choosing just the right items to fit your image!
Each Fabulous Shopping Excursion includes:
- Up to 4 hours of exclusive shopping led by a savvy NYC fashion guru
- Access to sizes 2-20
- The "Extra List"- a comprehensive list of sales happening within 5 days of your trek
- Wholesale prices, up to 75% off retail
- Cashmere coat featured in top magazine for $1100...$395 with us
- Tops retailing for $90 to $150...$10 to $35 with us
- Jackets retailing for $400...$75 with us
- Top designer (can't mention name) leather jacket retailing for $2300... $650 with us
- Pants retailing for $220...$80 with us
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours can sell out quickly. To maximize your chance of getting the date and time you prefer, please book well in advance. You can do this online or over the phone using only Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What age is this best for?
- Shopping is ageless! The Trek is best for ages 13 and older. We ask for shoppers's ages during the booking process to make sure that the showrooms we visit will feature clothing that is age appropriate for the shoppers on the Trek. Young teens should find adequate options on the Trek as long as they are wearing junior sizes but if a shopper is younger than 13 and wears children's sizes they should click “Contact ElegantTW” to the left of the page and speak with The Elegant Tightwad directly.
- Are infants or very small children allowed?
- Due to the fast paced nature of this Trek, bringing infants or very small children is not recommended. If you would like to bring an infant or very small child on the Trek, please contact The Elegant Tightwad directly by clicking “Contact ElegantTW” to the left of the page.
- Are men welcome on this Trek?
- Men can join the Trek and often do, however it is important to understand that most of the showrooms we visit have only women's clothing. There is one showroom featured as part of the regular Trek that has men's leathers & shearlings and there are at times men's sample sales happening that we visit. There is another showroom with men's fine Italian suits, outerwear, shirts, ties, etc., which is not visited on the regular Trek, but an appointment can be made to visit this showroom at the end of a Trek. If you would like to request a visit to this showroom, please let us know in a "message to the seller" upon purchasing your tickets - we cannot guarantee it, but we will try our best to schedule it! Note that men must have a normal priced ticket in order to attend.
- How long is the Trek?
- The Trek is normally 4 hours long, however if there are 4 or fewer shoppers, the Trek will be shortened to roughly 2-3 hours. Keep in mind that a shortened Trek for 4 or fewer guests will be complete and will feature all of the same stops as a regular-length Trek, it will just move at a faster pace as there will be fewer shoppers.
- Where do we go on this Trek?
- Shoppers will go mainly to Garment District showrooms that are not open to the public. Visits to sample sales are also possible.
- How often will we be visiting private showrooms versus stores or sample sales open to the public?
- 90-100% of the stops we make on our Garment District Diva Treks are showrooms that are not open to the public and accessible only to our participants. We may visit a sample sale, however this is an infrequent occurrence. We focus on taking you to places you cannot access without us. We do provide a list of Sample Sales and other types of sales that you can visit on your own after the tour. It includes sales from the day of your tour to 5 days out and is categorized by neighborhood.
- What is a "Garment District Showroom"?
- These showrooms house the offices and stockrooms that designers and manufacturers use to display their merchandise to retail buyers. They are not open to the general public.
- What is "Wholesale"?
- True wholesale is usually about 1/2 off the regular retail price, however many of the items available will be below wholesale.
- What is a "Sample Sale"?
- A Sample Sale features sample clothing items that are are used by designers to show buyers from department stores and boutiques a season's new line. Once a season starts, these samples are no longer needed and cannot be sold in stores so they're put on sale at reduced prices.
- What should I wear?
- Shoes that slip on and off without laces or buckles are best. Shoppers will be trying on clothes all day, so your outfit should be something that can be taken off and on quickly and easily. A body suit underneath your clothing or a dress that buttons down the front or wraps are recommended. Keep in mind that most showrooms feature group dressing rooms only.
- How much walking is involved?
- The tour stays within approximately 3-4 blocks. There is more than 1 building on each block and often times more than one showroom in each building. 90% of the time on the tour is spent shopping in the showrooms. 10% is spent walking.
- Is transportation included?
- Because this is mainly a walking tour, transportation is not included. Do remember to bring comfortable walking shoes!
- Will there be places to stop and rest during the Trek?
- Yes, a number of the showrooms will have seating, so you can take a break while the rest of the group shops.
- Are bathrooms available?
- Yes, bathrooms are accessible at each stop on the tour.
- Who will our tour guide be?
- Your leader will be either Pamela Parisi or one of her fearless personal shoppers.
- Should we tip our guide?
- Although tipping is not mandatory, a gratuity of 20% is recommended. Some factors to consider when determining the amount of a tip on a tour like this are how happy you are with your service, if the leader goes overtime and the amount of savings accumulated on your purchases.
- What types of clothes can we expect to see on this Trek?
- Shoppers will see every category of clothing from business to casual to evening to outerwear to sportswear. They are all current season designer clothing & accessories.
- Will I recognize the brands I see on a Trek?
- Some of the labels you will recognize, some you will not. They are all high quality brands that are sold in department stores like Macy's, Bloomingdales, Nordstroms and upscale boutiques.
- What sizes will be available?
- All sizes from a US size 0 - size 22 will be available on this trek, however not every showroom will carry every size. If you are size 2-12 you will find the most choices available. We also visit a couple of showrooms which will make your garment to order. In general, participants in all size categories are successful at finding clothing.
- Will we be able to purchase clothes?
- Yes, of course! Shoppers will have ample opportunity to purchase clothing as that is the main objective of the Trek!
- What are the typical prices of the clothes on this Trek?
- All prices will be at wholesale and below . This means that for example, if a pair of pants retails for $100, you will pay $50 or less. The actual prices we pay for the garments generally range between $25-$150 on average for items that retail from $50-$600. There are also higher priced items available.
- What types of payment are accepted at the locations we'll be visiting?
- The majority of the showrooms accept cash only, however a few do accept credit cards or checks. It is advised to bring enough cash for all of your purchases, just in case! Keep in mind that there are many ATMs along the route.
- What are the names of the showrooms we will visit?
- Because the itinerary is subject to change at a moment's notice depending on showroom availability, we don't mention the locations beforehand. Also, due to the exclusive nature of the Trek, many of the showrooms we visit do not want us to advertise that we go there. So shhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone!
- How many people are on the Trek?
- Each Trek accommodates 6-12 shoppers. By keeping the group small, Trek Leaders are able to give more personalized attention to each shopper. If more than 12 sign up, we add another Trek Leader to maximize your shopping experience.
- Is lunch included?
- Lunch is not included in the Trek but there are many grocers and delis in the area in case you need to grab a snack.
- Is the Trek wheelchair-accessible?
- Some of the showrooms are accessible to individuals in a wheelchair, however please click the 'Contact this seller' link in order to speak with the Elegant Tightwad directly regarding wheelchair accommodation as it will require advanced planning.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available! If you would like to purchase a gift certificate, please contact The Elegant Tightwad by clicking “Contact ElegantTW” to the left of the page.
- Is it possible to arrange a private Trek?
- If you are interested in arranging a private Trek, you can contact The Elegant Tightwad by clicking “Contact ElegantTW” to the left of the page.
- Can I buy Pamela Parisi's book?
- Yes - you can buy a copy of Pamela Parisi's book, "Dress Like a Million Bucks... While Spending Only Pennies; An insider's guide to finding designer bargains at drop-dead prices in New York" at half price (normally $17.95, on sale for trek guests for $8.98) upon purchasing tickets for the trek.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Participants must be ages 13 and up.
- Most of the showrooms that are visited on the tour are only appropriate for those ages 13 and older and carry only junior sizes and up. If you would like to bring a child who is under 13 years old or who wears children's sizes, you must get permission from the seller before purchasing tickets.
- Tour duration may be shortened.
- In the event that there are fewer than 4 participants scheduled on the tour, the duration of the tour may be shortened from 4 hours to 2 to 3 hours in length since we will need less time at each location.
- About the questions we ask you
- Size 4-12 will have most clothing choices available; size 14-16 choices are a bit more limited. Above size 16 choices are more limited, however enough is available, that most in this range do find things they love. We ask for labels to get an idea of the your clothing style and price range.This is not meant to imply these are the showrooms that we will necessarily visit, We will if we can though!
Elegant Tightwad Shopping Excursions
With more than 20 years experience in the garment industry, Pamela Parisi, owner & founder, a.k.a. The Elegant Tightwad, has worked in the famous New York City Garment Center, as a showroom model, manufacturer, designer and retailer.
After being sidelined by illness for many months, Pamela turned her passion for designer clothing and bargain hunting into a new career: Shopping Excursions for fashionistas on a budget!
Author of the book, Dress Like a Million Bucks, While Spending Only Pennies, Pamela is an expert on shopping and fashion and has been called on by the likes of CNN and CBS News to comment on current trends and money saving tips.
Every stop on each Shopping Excursion is personally handpicked by Pamela, so join a fabulous Tightwad Trek and build a gorgeous wardrobe for pennies on the dollar of regular retail.
In addition to CNN & CBS, Elegant Tightwad Shopping has been featured on NBC, WBNetwork, Expose Ireland and in Elle Magazine, London Times, NY Daily News, NY Newsday, London, Sunday Express, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Miami Herald, Philadephia Inquirer, Le Figaro(FR), McCleans(CA), Bild AM Sontag(Ger), OK, MoneySense(CA) and more.
Dress Like a Diva... Shop Like a Tightwad!