Since the lawless years of the Gold Rush, North Beach has consistently been at the epicenter of everything anti-establishment. From the 1950s to the 1970s, San Francisco’s “Little Italy” gave rise to three new American institutions that pushed the limits: beatniks, strippers, and socio-political comedians—a little something to entertain and offend everyone.
This tour includes the following highlights:
- See where LSD was manufactured (sorry, no free samples!)
- The bookstore where books were banned, igniting the Beat phenomenon
- The launch and demise of Lenny (“King of the Sick Comics”) Bruce's career...all on one block
- Café Trieste, where Francis Ford Coppola wrote "The Godfather"
- The Condor, birthplace of topless dancing (sorry, no free samples!)
What Is Not Included?
Gratuities are not included but are always appreciated.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express credit card. Cash is not accepted.
- What if it rains?
- The Nude, Lewd & Crude tour runs rain or shine! We have a bad-weather version for rainy days so you will still enjoy yourself just as much.
- What if I want to go on a day and time that isn’t offered?
- Additional dates and times of this tour that are not on our schedule may be available upon request, but keep in mind that there may be an additional fee per ticket charged in order to accommodate your special request. Please click on the “Contact FOOTtours” link to let us know what date and time you are interested in!
- Are there any hills on this tour?
- The only hill is a slight downhill for about one block.
- Do we walk the whole time?
- The tour is about half walking and half talking. We stop, discuss a building, person, or historical event, then move to the next stop. We will be making about 12 stops along the tour.
- Does the tour end where we start?
- No, it ends near the Comstock Saloon at 155 Columbus Avenue. We feel we can show more of the City by ending in a different area. Plus, we don't want you to have to walk up any hills more than once!
- Should we tip our guide?
- We encourage it. Like all service professions, if you enjoyed the tour, the guide appreciates a tip!
- Why can't we pay with cash?
- Because tours often sell out in advance, tickets must be purchased ahead of time by credit card. Also, some guides are uncomfortable carrying large amounts of cash through high-traffic areas. (But they do appreciate a tip at the end of the tour!)
- Should we drive to where the tour starts?
- We recommend NOT driving in San Francisco. It's noisy, confusing, and frustrating--then you have to park, which is more of the same (and expensive). We'll supply you with other options after you purchase your tickets.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- We have a few bathroom opportunities along the route, so if you need to stop, please let us know and we will accommodate you.
- Are children allowed on the tour?
- No, due to the content of this tour, only guests ages 18 and up will be allowed to attend the tour.
- What should we bring on the tour?
- Always be prepared for San Francisco's climate: dress in layers and check the forecast for tour day. Comfortable shoes, a bottle of water, and a camera are recommended. The city has a confusing pattern of streets, so a map can be handy, too. Bring extra cash if you might want to buy coffee or a snack along the way.
- Who will my tour guide be?
- No particular guide is guaranteed for this tour, but all of our guides are professional entertainers and will show you a good time! From comic actors to stand up comedians and improvisers, we have it all. All of our guides are history buffs as well, and will teach you more than you can imagine about the stops along the way.
- Is the tour strenuous?
- The tour is 10 blocks long, including one slight downhill, and lasts about two hours.
- Where should we park?
- We strongly recommend public transportation, but if you have to drive, avoid street parking. It's very limited and you may have to feed your meter. There are many garages and lots in the area. We'll supply other options after you purchase your tickets.
- Where can I get a map?
- San Francisco's streets were laid out by a drunk who received death threats for the poor job he did. A map is essential because streets can turn into paths or change names. Ask your hotel concierge for a map; they can also provide other helpful information.
- Are any meals included?
- No, there are no meals on this tour, but we often stop mid-way for a coffee break if our participants request it.
- Can I bring my own food and beverages?
- Sure! Feel free to pack a light knapsack with a snack and bottle of water. There are no meals included on the tour, but we may stop for a quick coffee break if the guests request it!
- Can we take pictures?
- Can I take a stroller on the tour?
- Yes, strollers are allowed on the tour, but we do go over many curbs, potholes, and doorways. It may be rather difficult to bring a stroller, but of course you are welcome to if you'd like.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Unfortunately this tour is not wheelchair accessible due to the various hills, curbs, and bumps involved. Please check out one of our other tours!
- Are dogs allowed on the tour?
- Dogs are allowed on the tour but may not be permitted in some of the buildings that we enter.
- Are gift certificates available for this tour?
- Yes! Gift certificates for FOOT! comedy walking tours are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact FOOTtours" link.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Certainly! We offer tours for private groups, family events, and corporate team building. We can accommodate a variety of special requests as well, including starting and finishing locations, topics, tour lengths, and just about anything. Please use the "Contact FOOTtours" link to inquire further about special group rates and customized tours.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 18 or older.
- Due to the nature and content of the Nude, Lewd, and Crude tour, participants must be age 18 or older to attend.
FOOT! fun walking tours
FOOT! comedy walking tours will show you the funniest routes through San Francisco’s quirky history and unique neighborhoods. Founded by America’s 67th funniest comedian, FOOT! tours are part history, part game show, and all fun.
“That was by far the most entertaining walking tour I have ever taken. You made learning the history of San Francisco so much fun."
--Concierge, Le Meridien Hotel
“Your tour was a memorable highlight of the weekend.”
--SF Convention and Visitors Bureau
“… these themed walks mix humor, facts, and fast-talk...These tours turn history into family fun.”
--Physicians’ Travel & Meeting Guide