This full day trip includes fishing for striped bass, bluefish or one of the many other species that inhabit our local waters. Seasonal catches can include: striped bass, bluefish, albacore, benito and weakfish. Our largest catch of the year has been a 37 lb. striped bass!
Learn from our knowledgeable, family-friendly captain and crew, who have been in the business for over 50 years. On the Flamingo 3, we specialize in diamond jigging and our crew is more than happy to show you all the methods we've learned over the years and expertly guide you throughout this fun-filled excursion. Or just bask in the beautiful surroundings of New York on the spacious sundeck. The Flamingo 3 can comfortably carry up to 85 passengers.
Some of the features of the Flamingo 3 include:
- Fully equipped 65' sport fishing boat
- Spacious and roomy deck area
- Sundeck with seating
- State of the art electronics
- Covered cabin area with seating
- Men's and women's clean restrooms
Trips usually last between 6 and 8 hours. The length of each trip depends heavily on the "bite," meaning if everyone catches their limit early, we will return early.
What Is Not Included?
Food and Beverages: Sodas and water are available for purchase on board, but we do not serve food. It is highly recommended that you bring your own food. You may also bring your own beer, but limit yourself, as this is a family boat and we are here to fish.
- ---------------------------------FISHING DETAILS-----------------------------------------------
- What has the catch been like lately?
- the 2012 fishing season will begin on 4-15-2012. starting our season off with mainly striped bass fishing,until the bluefish come in and the striped bass leave. Bluefish limits are 15 fish per person (no size limit). Striped bass limits are 2 per person (minimum 28").
- I have never been fishing before. Is that okay?
- Oh sure, nothing like a new experience! Our crew will assist you and, often times, some of the "seasoned" veterans are even willing to offer advice.
- How many fish can I keep?
- Your captain and crew are up to date on the most recent limit details, and will update everyone with this information at the start of the trip. Regulations vary depending on the season and what we are fishing for on a particular day. In general for bluefish, you may keep 15 fish per person, with no size limit and for striped bass, you may keep 2 fish per person, but they must be a minimum of 28".
- What type of fish will we catch?
- It all depends on what type of fish are in season. The majority of the time we are fishing for Striped Bass and Bluefish, but when other fish are in season we will fish for them too. These include albacore, benito and weakfish.
- How far out do we go? How much time do we actually spend fishing?
- It depends on where the fish are biting on the day of the trip, but sometimes we are closer to Staten Island and other times we are closer to New Jersey. On average, it takes about an hour to get out to the fishing grounds and we'll spend the rest of the time fishing until it's time to head back.
- How long will the fishing trip last? What happens when everyone catches their limit?
- The duration all depends on how the fish are biting. Normally the trip lasts between 6-8 hours. If the fishing is great and everyone catches their limit, then we will return early. On the other hand, if the fishing is sub-par, then we will put all our effort and extra time into meeting our quota.
- Can I sell the fish I catch?
- NO! It is illegal to sell fish that are caught by way of "Recreational Sport Fishing." If you are caught violating this law, you (along with the Flamingo 3) will be ordered to appear in court, fined, and items can be confiscated.
- What can I do with the fish I have caught?
- We recommend having a deckhand clean and fillet them as this is so much easier than doing this messy job at home. The cost of fish cleaning is not included in the price of your ticket.
- Do you guarantee that fish will be caught?
- We can guarantee fishing but unfortunately, not catching. The captain will do everything in his power to put you where the fish are, but we cannot control what does or does not bite the hook.
- What is the difference between your trips?
- Our night trips are shorter in length and during those trips we will be doing bait fishing instead of fishing with a diamond jig.
- What is the difference between jig fishing and bait fishing?
- Jig fishing involves using a lure to attract fish and bait fishing involves using live bait (worms, small fish, etc.) to attract fish. We use diamond jigs, a metal lure, to fish during our daytime trips, as the jig will reflect the daylight. During our night trips when there is no daylight we use bait to fish.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended as trips can sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Do I have to sign a liability waiver?
- No, you are not required to sign a liability waiver.
- What happens if it rains?
- We still go out. The rain is of no consequence; we are concerned with wind and sea conditions and they are not necessarily bad during the rain. In fact, some of our best conditions can be on a rainy day, so dress appropriately. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in which case you will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Can I still go on the boat if I don't want to fish?
- Yes, you can, but there is no reduced price ticket for those that just want to ride along. If you don't want to fish, you'll still need to purchase a full-priced ticket.
- Are children allowed?
- Yes, children are allowed to join us. We think ages 5-6 may be a good age to get a child oriented with this traditional sport. However, please keep in mind that this trip is 6-8 hours long and parents know their children best and should determine whether it is appropriate for their child.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing young children?
- We offer a reduced price ticket for children ages 12 and under.
- Is this trip suitable for pregnant women?
- We do not put any limitations on who may or may not attend, however pregnant women may want to consult with their doctors before participating to make sure this activity is appropriate for them.
- What time should I arrive?
- Feel free to arrive up to an hour before the trip is due to depart. The earlier the better if you want to select your fishing spot before the boat fills up. This will also give you some time to grab some breakfast and/or lunch before boarding the boat as there are a couple of places nearby.
- -------------------------------WHAT SHOULD I BRING-----------------------------------------
- Can I bring a cooler?
- Yes, you can bring a cooler for your food and drinks if you wish, however, there is a limited amount of space on the boat. Out of respect for your fellow passengers, please keep your personal items to a minimum.
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- Yes, it is highly recommended to bring your own food and drinks. Sodas and water are available for purchase on board, but we do not serve food. You may bring your own beer, but limit yourself, as this is a family boat and we are here to fish. There is a deli and a Dunkin Donuts around the corner if you want to pick up something before the boat leaves.
- ----------------------------FISHING EQUIPMENT/LICENSES---------------------------------
- Do I need a fishing license?
- No, a fishing license is not needed at this time. The state of New York does not require fishermen to have one.
- Can you provide me with fishing gear, bait, and tackle?
- Yes, the rod and reel rentals are free of charge. Tackle is $5 per jig.
- What type of gear do I need?
- We will provide you with all the gear you'll need except for the jig, which can be purchased for $5 each. If you already have gear, feel free to bring your own.
- -----------------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOAT----------------------------------
- Is there a bathroom on board?
- Yes, of course. We have two restrooms on board the boat. Both men's and ladies' rooms are available.
- Is smoking allowed on the boat?
- Yes, smoking is allowed.
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is a limited amount of space on the boat for your personal belongings. Out of respect for your fellow passengers, please keep your personal items to a minimum.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- Unfortunately, the boat is not wheelchair accessible. However, we will do everything we can to accommodate customers with disabilities. There are stairs leading to the entrance of the boat, so if you're willing to allow our crew to help you up the stairs, we'll gladly do so. If anyone in your group has limited mobility, please feel free to contact us prior to purchasing your tickets by clicking on the "Contact Flamingo3" link to discuss their specific needs.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) our vessels are constantly maintained and inspected twice a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Are there life jackets on the boat?
- Yes, there are life jackets available for every adult and child on board. The location of the jackets is clearly posted and verbally announced by the skipper.
- Do I have to wear the life jacket?
- No. You are not required to wear a life jacket, but you may choose to wear one if you feel you need one.
- Will I get seasick?
- We sure hope not. Unfortunately, this is not something we can predict. While we can't recommend you take any medications, prevention might be a good idea if you are susceptible to motion sickness.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes, there is indoor seating available on the boat.
- Are pets allowed on the boat?
- Unfortunately, pets are not allowed on board during our fishing trips.
- Will we see whales or dolphins while we are fishing?
- Maybe. We do see some whales and dolphins at times during the season, but it is not an everyday occurrence.
- Where does the boat depart from?
- The trip departs from Parkway Fishing Center Marina in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. The exact address and directions will be provided on purchasing your tickets.
- Is there parking available nearby?
- Yes, there is ample free parking available nearby at the United Artists movie theater parking lot which is located right across the street.
- The crew was awesome! Can I leave a gratuity?
- Tipping the crew members is optional but greatly appreciated, as they work very hard to make your trip as enjoyable as possible. Typical tips are $5-10 per adult passenger and can be given to the crew at the end of the trip.
- ----------------------PRIVATE CHARTERS & GIFT CERTIFICATES-----------------------
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, if you are interested in purchasing a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact Flamingo3" link for more information.
- Can I book a private charter?
- Yes, private charters are available. Please contact us in advance by clicking on the "Contact Flamingo3" link on the left to discuss plans for your group including the size of the group.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must have the appropriate tackle to fish on the trip.
- We specialize in diamond jigging on this trip, so all participants fishing on the trip must have a diamond jig, which is not included in the regular price of the trip. If you do not have your own, you can purchase one along with your tickets or at the boat at check-in.
The Captain and crew’s efforts and years of experience make for a fun, exciting and fulfilling fishing trip for all. Whether young or old, novice or seasoned veteran, everyone can enjoy this wholesome fishing experience. The boat is well kept, clean and comfortable. The crew is extremely helpful, courteous and attentive to the customers needs. They are more than willing to explain fishing techniques, give instructions, and properly rig everyone to maximize everyone's chances of catching fish.