New York's Original Food and Culture Walking Tours
Chelsea Market & The Meatpacking District Food and Culture Tour
Explore two hip downtown industrial areas of NYC.
During this indoor market (2hrs), and outdoor Meatpacking District (1hr) tour you will discover how these off the beaten track areas evolved into the hottest destinations in New York City.
Discover specialty "mom and pop" food shops, Meatpacking District restaurants (1 Iron Chef), boutique shopping, and high energy nightlife. Taste delicious specialties from six food shops and one Meatpacking District restaurant during this tour. You will also take a stroll on The Highline, the only elevated park in NYC!
Enjoy delicious food tastings from:
- Lucy's Whey - Cheese Shop
- Ronny Brook Milk Bar - Hudson Valley dairy
- Sarabeth's Bakery - Gourmet American bakery
- Tuck Shop - Australian eatery
- Macelleria - Italian Restaurant
- Buon Italia - Italian specialty food shop
- Elenis - Cookies, Cupcakes and More!
- Chelsea Mkt Baskets - Gourmet Food Importers
• Food tastings subject to change without notice.
We look forward to hosting you on this exciting and tasty tour!
What Is Not Included?
Tour guide gratuities are not included in the cost of your ticket.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Well worth the time and money!
|pcshockey||Mon, Oct 27 2:30 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Cindy was very knowledgeable and keep the tour lively. The tastings were excellent as well.
AMAZING!!!!!! HIGHLY RECCOMENDED
|nikoldc5||Mon, Oct 27 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
This food tour was BEYOND my expectations, it was SO much fun and the food was absolutely fantastic. Even stuff i didn't think i would like, i LOVED. Kurt was our tour guide and he was hilarious and so knowledgeable about the food and the area. My boyfriend and I will never forget this experience and will definitely be going on another one in a different area.
Double Birthday Celebration for 15 year-old girls
|amyberkin||Sat, Oct 25 3:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Other|
Our first NY Food Tour was such a hit, that my daughter convinced her best friend that they should do a food tour as a birthday party. We were a group of 9 and it was another great experience. We learned a lot, ate delicious food, shopped (even though we were supposed to wait until after the tour), and had a super fun time! Our tour guide, Cindy, was fabulous! We'll definitely be signing up for another!
|Tuttle17||Sat, Oct 25 2:30 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
My friends and I had a blast! Curt made sure everyone had fun! He knew everyone by name and then made us into a crazy dysfunctional family. We were offered delicious and interesting foods! The tour was entertaining and would be informative if you weren't laughing so hard at the Curt's jokes. There was more food than you could eat but you quickly learned to pace yourself. My vegetarian friend was also treated well by being offered a veggie option when needed. I would go on this tour again, but I will not eat lunch before I go.
|staskely||Sat, Oct 25 2:30 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We had a fabulous tour with Kurt or the Chelsea Market Tour. The food was great. I definitely will go back to many of the places we sampled and will bring a cooler along with an empty belly for lunch and dinner. Kurt, our tour guide, was great. He was humerus and knowledgeable. I'd love to have him a again as a guide for other tours. This tour is a must.
would recommend to anyone!
|acj5975||Sat, Oct 25 2:30 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
This was so much fun and definitely a must do in New York City
|Staffie17||Sat, Oct 25 2:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
I was visiting NYC for the first time with my mom and sister. Chelsea Market was one of the "must see" places on our list, and I'm so glad we experienced it. As a first timer, I could not have navigated the Market without a tour guide, as it would have been overwhelming. Instead, our guide Darryl made it a fun, interesting and tasty experience! He had us laughing the whole time, while providing us with fun facts throughout the tour. What a bonus to get out beyond the market and visit the High Line Park and the Meat District. Amazing! I would recommend this tour for adults of all ages. However, I would not recommend for children.
Darrell was awesome, so funny and so knowledgable.
|mikenovak||Sat, Oct 25 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Be sure not to miss this tour it is well worth your while!
|anneconover||Sat, Oct 25 2:00 PM||Unspecified||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
HIGHLY recommend this tour. The only negative was that we did it on a Saturday and it was VERY crowded, other than that, it was worth every penny and better than we expected. Darrell was fantastic as our tour guide. We sampled a lot more than I thought we would and everything was fantastic. We are now looking at other food tours to do next time we are in the city.
One of my favorite ways to tour NYC
|suzannewm94||Fri, Oct 24 2:30 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This is my second time taking a Foods of New York tour, and the experience this time was just as fabulous as it was the first time when I took the original Greenwich Village tour. The food tastings were delicious, particularly the crostada, the meat pie, and the warm fresh doughnuts, and the tour guide Curt was both entertaining and very informative. I think the food tours are a great and inexpensive way to sample many of New York's culinary offerings. I'll definitely be back for another tour soon.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay with cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page to let us know what date you are interested in. Also, if this tour is sold out please check our tour calendar (link to the left) for available tickets on one of our other food and culture tours.
- What type of tickets are available for your tours and events?
- There are a few types of tickets available for our Chelsea Market/Meatpacking District Tour: Thurs: Standard Ticket: Ages 13 and up - $49.00 Child Ticket: Ages 12 and under - $35.00 Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday: Standard Tickets: Ages 13 and up - $52.00 Ages 12 and under - $35.00
- Are the Foods of New York tours appropriate for children?
- Our tours have been developed for food and history lovers. In our vast touring experience we have found that those under 17 might not fully appreciate our tours. Although, some children do enjoy our tours (the history, the food) and if you feel your children will enjoy it - please bring them along! Whether to bring your child is ultimately up to your discretion, but do note that ALL CHILDREN, ages 3+, need a paid ticket. We assume that if your child is below age 3 than they will not be participating in the food-tasting portion of the tour. Therefore, for children below age 3, no ticket is required and there will not be a food portion dedicated to this child. If you'd like food for your child under 3, then please do purchase a ticket. Either way, please INDICATE THAT YOU ARE BRINGING A CHILD, SO THAT YOUR TOUR GUIDE CAN BE PREPARED. Also, note that strollers are not advisable due to narrow sidewalks, uneven cobblestone streets and staircases. If you have further questions, contact us.
- Are the walking tours given in bad weather?
- All of our tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire 3 hours. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. It is impossible to cancel a tour at the very last minute due to many circumstances beyond our control. Before purchasing tickets please be aware of the possible weather conditions for that time of year.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- Please dress casual, comfortable, and appropriate for the different seasons in New York. General Weather Conditions in New York City: January 1st - April 15th - Usually cold and windy (tapering off in April) April 16th - June 15th - Mild temperatures (becoming warmer in June) June 16th - September 15th - Mild to Hot temperatures (usually hot in July and August) Sept 16th - December 31st - Starts off mild and then gets cold during the end of October.
- What if I’ve heard great things about a particular tour guide?
- Foods of New York Tours has been in business since 1999, and we’re proud to say we receive excellent feedback on all of our guides! They are all friendly and love to share their knowledge about food, the neighborhood, and more. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a particular tour guide on a specific tour.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- Foods of New York does not include gratuities in the cost of our tours. A standard gratuity for a tour guide in New York City is 15% to 20% of the tour price. If you had a great time gratuities are accepted by our tour guides.
- What should I expect if I take a Foods of New York 3 hour Walking Tour?
- Our walking and tasting tours are led by experienced Foods of New York tour guides. During our tours you will learn about the history and culture of a neighborhood while tasting delicious food specialties from Mom and Pop food shops, eateries, and restaurants. Most of the food tastings are served while standing in or outside of the food establishment. There is one sit down tasting that takes place in a restaurant on each of our tours. This sit down tasting takes around 20-25 minutes and will allow everyone to enjoy themselves in a relaxed manner. While on the tour we go in and out of food establishments, walk down interesting streets, and learn about the fascinating history and culture of a neighborhood.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a very casual pace.
- How many people can attend a tour?
- The maximum number of people per tour guide is 16. If one tour is sold out there is a very good chance we will offer another that same day. Tours run 30 minutes apart.
- How much food is served on the tours?
- There are 7 stops for food tastings on our tours. For most people there is enough food that lunch afterwards is not necessary.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We visit various restaurants per neighborhood and sample food from one selected restaurant per tour. This is also a sit down tasting.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We supply everyone with a bottle of water at the start of the tour.
- Is there a wine tasting included on the tour?
- The tour itself does not serve wine, but The Original Greenwich Village Tour and The Central Village / SoHo Tour does include one stop that provides a nice environment for you to purchase wine on your own. Your tour guide will let you know when it is a good time to enjoy a drink.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- At this time we CAN provide food substitutions for Vegetarians on most tours (except Explore Chinatown) but we CANNOT make food substitutions for any other food allergies (such as gluten free or dairy free). We are sorry for the inconvenience. Our Food Tours are set up based on our selection of a food item that is special and unique and that highlights each establishment. When food substitutions are made and tastings are altered it does not allow us to achieve our culinary goals. We appreciate your understanding.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair-and/or stroller-accessible?
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs are not recommended on our tours, and strollers are not permitted, due to the many narrow sidewalks that we walk on, the uneven cobble stone streets that we cross, certain staircases that we use when entering establishments, and the very small shops that we visit. If you have further questions, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native New Yorker?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in New York City. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhood and the city in which they live. We mainly stay off the beaten path, and thus avoid being consumed by crowds of tourists.
- I took this tour a year ago. Has anything changed?
- We change the tour slightly every six to eight months. Many parts of the tour remain the same, but we do our best to improve upon and enhance the tour.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all Foods of NY tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link on our web page.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available for groups of up to 48 people. To inquire about a private tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page. A Foods of New York Tours representative will contact you within 24 hours to inform you if the date and time requested is available.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tickets only valid for date and time selected.
- Tickets can only be used for the exact date and time for which they have been purchased. Once purchased, tickets may not be used or exchanged for any other date or time. During purchase, you must review all booking details carefully to ensure that all are correct and that there are no errors.
Foods of New York Tours
Foods of New York Tours was established in 1999 to help visitors and local residents find the ultimate food and cultural experience "off the beaten path,"but the adventure truly began over 25 years ago when we started exploring the delicious ethnic foods and diverse musical venues within Greenwich Village and SoHo.
Foods of New York Tours has been featured in Gourmet Magazine, The New York Times, USA Today, and many more publications.
Foods of New York Tours proudly offers our award winning food tasting and cultural walking tours through 5 amazing neighborhoods; Greenwich Village, Central Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market and Meatpacking district, Chinatown, and Nolita and Noho.
The staff at Foods of New York Tours is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Your satisfaction is our most important goal. We encourage you to check out the thousands of unedited reviews written by previous customers by clicking the links at the top of this page.
Foods of New York Tours