New York's Original Food and Culture Walking Tours
Food and Culture Tour
NYC’s only walking tour + sit-down food tasting event!
During this tour you will taste a diverse selection from three acclaimed Chinatown restaurants and one of Chinatown's favorite bakeries. You will enjoy several varieties of Chinese cuisines while celebrating the tradition and etiquette of this rich culture. Your host will unveil the historical and cultural landmarks of the area while venturing into local establishments for unique tastings.
About the ticket price:
The ticket price for the Chinatown tour ($65) is slightly higher than those of our other tours ($52). This higher cost is reflected in the Chinatown tour's unique features: three sit down restaurant tastings, and larger portion sizes than you'll experience on our other walking tours.
Your Chinatown Food and Culture Tour will include:
- A selection of six different Hong Kong style dumplings
- A whole authentic Peking Duck with all the fixings
- Malaysian Roti Canai
- The best Egg Custard Tart in Chinatown
We look forward to hosting you on this fun and delectable tour.
Qing chi ba ! (Enjoy the feast!)
What Is Not Included?
Tour guide gratuities are not included in the cost of your ticket.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Third Foods of NY Tour we have taken.
|jhodouglas||Fri, Oct 17 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Bert our guide was interesting, informative and funny. These Foods of NY Tours are ALWAYS great. I highly recommend them.
EXCELLENT TOUR AGAIN!
|djeunette||Fri, Oct 10 10:30 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Bert was hilarious and informative and the food ROCKED!
good overview of Chinatown shops and food
|emilie33||Fri, Oct 10 10:30 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Bert was very knowledgeable, having lived in Chinatown for several yrs. He was enthusiastic and seemed to have good rapport with the shop owners. Food was very good and mire than enough.
|Marrero||Sat, Sep 27 10:30 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Couple on a Date|
Rahim was excellent. he knew how to make us laugh and made everyone feel comfortable. I would go on a tour by Rahim in a New York minute.
Delicious, fun and informative
|dickash||Fri, Sep 26 11:00 AM||Female||70+||Local||Group of Friends|
This was a fascinating adventure with our guide Burt. The high light of the excursion was authentic Peking Duck carved by a chef who has done this for 50 Years! What a master!! Loved the cultural stroll through Columbus Park with Oriental Singers and table after table of folks playing cards. Burt's historical narrative was interesting as well.
Great people & Great food
|benb183||Thu, Sep 25 6:00 PM||Male||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Very enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide with great food.
Excellent! Highly Recommended!
|jsloter||Sat, Sep 13 10:30 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The Chinatown tour was great. Plenty of delicious food and our tour guide was knowledgable, personable and entertaining. We are experienced explorers and found this to be much better than trying to do it on your own.
good tour of chinatown and good food
|FoodTour1||Thu, Sep 11 6:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
i thought as a whole the food was good. there were comments about the size of the pho or the order of eating the pho, but I thought the portion size and the order that we ate the pho was good. Pho is mostly broth in a big bowl so maybe the others thought that the portion size was big. but I think when you just look at the solid food in the bowl, the amount was just right. The tour guide was good. He talked a little to fast so I missed a word here or there but all in all he gave us interesting information. And i thought it was important that he spent a lot of time in Chinatown before he became a tour guide. This is my 3rd tour with your company, (a couple years ago I went on the Chelsa and Greenwich Village Food Tours) and I plan to come back. Thanks.
Phenominal. Educational. Delicious.
|Nora1964||Fri, Aug 29 10:30 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This was a very educational and delicious food tour. Bert, our tour guide was very informative and knowledgeable of the culture of Chinatown providing us with history and modern information on all the "stops" we made. What I liked about this tour was that we were able to sit for some of the tastings. The dim sum, Peking duck and Pho portions were perfect and filling. The tea shop and candy store were also great! Bert was patient with the group for potty breaks too! I would definitely recommend this tour for anyone interested in learning about Chinatowns culture and delicious foods!
|joanellen68||Fri, Aug 29 10:30 AM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
So well orchestrated! Bert, our tour guide, was fantastic..Fun..very knowledgeable and very in tune with our group. The restaurants on our tour served delicious food. They were punctual and prepared for our arrival. Don't miss this Chinatown adventure!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay with cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page to let us know what date you are interested in. Also, if this tour is sold out please check our tour calendar (link to the left) for available tickets on one of our other food and culture tours.
- What type of tickets are available for your tours and events?
- There is one ticket class for the Chinatown Tour: Thursdays at 6pm, Fridays & Saturdays at 10:30am: Standard Ticket Only: All ages - $65.00
- Are the Foods of New York tours appropriate for children?
- Our tours have been developed for food and history lovers. In our vast touring experience we have found that those under 17 might not fully appreciate our tours. Although, some children do enjoy our tours (the history, the food) and if you feel your children will enjoy it - please bring them along! Whether to bring your child is ultimately up to your discretion, but do note that ALL CHILDREN, ages 3+, need a paid ticket. We assume that if your child is below age 3 than they will not be participating in the food-tasting portion of the tour. Therefore, for children below age 3, no ticket is required and there will not be a food portion dedicated to this child. If you'd like food for your child under 3, then please do purchase a ticket. Either way, please INDICATE THAT YOU ARE BRINGING A CHILD, SO THAT YOUR TOUR GUIDE CAN BE PREPARED. Also, note that strollers are not advisable due to narrow sidewalks, uneven cobblestone streets and staircases. If you have further questions, contact us.
- Are the walking tours given in bad weather?
- All of our tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire 3 hours. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. It is impossible to cancel a tour at the very last minute due to many circumstances beyond our control. Before purchasing tickets please be aware of the possible weather conditions for that time of year.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- Please dress casual, comfortable, and appropriate for the different seasons in New York. General Weather Conditions in New York City: January 1st - April 15th - Usually cold and windy (tapering off in April) April 16th - June 15th - Mild temperatures (becoming warmer in June) June 16th - September 15th - Mild to Hot temperatures (usually hot in July and August) Sept 16th - December 31st - Starts off mild and then gets cold during the end of October.
- What if I’ve heard great things about a particular tour guide?
- Foods of New York Tours has been in business since 1999, and we’re proud to say we receive excellent feedback on all of our guides! They are all friendly and love to share their knowledge about food, the neighborhood, and more. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a particular tour guide on a specific tour.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- Foods of New York does not include gratuities in the cost of our tours. A standard gratuity for a tour guide in New York City is 15% to 20% of the tour price. If you had a great time gratuities are accepted by our tour guides.
- What should I expect if I take a Foods of New York 3 hour Walking Tour?
- Our walking and tasting tours are led by experienced Foods of New York tour guides. During our tours you will learn about the history and culture of Chinatown while tasting delicious food specialties from restaurants, food shops, and bakeries. Most of the food tastings are served while siting inside of a restaurant. There is one outdoor tasting that takes place ouside a bakery. While on the tour we go in and out of food establishments, walk down interesting streets, and learn about the fascinating history and culture of Chinatown.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately 1 and a half hours of a 3 hour tour . We walk at a very casual pace.
- How many people can attend a tour?
- The maximum number of people per tour guide is 16. If one tour is sold out there is a very good chance we will offer another that same day. Tours run 30 minutes apart.
- Why is the Chinatown tour more expensive then other Foods of New York tours?
- The Chinatown tour is more expensive than other tours because more food is served, and most tastings are served in an upscale restaurant environment. The tour customers sit down at 3 separate restaurants, and sample large portions of sophisticated cuisine, paired with tea and water. This style of tasting is more expensive then other "Street Tastings" due to the quality of food and experience. The ticket price includes all of the food and tips for waitstaff at three fantastic restaurants.
- How much food is served on the tours?
- There are 5 stops for food tastings on our Chinatown tours. Many of the samples are multi-course tastings. Lunch afterwards is not necessary.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We visit various restaurants per neighborhood and sample food from many of them
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We supply everyone with glasses of water at all restaurants and tea at 2 seperate restaurants.
- Is there a wine tasting included on the tour?
- There is not a wine tasting on this tour.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, gluten, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually impossible for us to adjust in time to accommodate. Additionally, there are some tastings on the tour that are very difficult to replace depending on what each food shop offers (i.e., finding a substitution for a diabetic in a pastry shop can be challenging). We will always do our best to accommodate each person's needs. Please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page before booking if you would like to confirm ahead of time that your dietary restriction can be accommodated.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair-and/or stroller-accessible?
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs are not recommended on our tours, and strollers are not permitted, due to the many narrow sidewalks that we walk on, the uneven cobble stone streets that we cross, certain staircases that we use when entering establishments, and the very small shops that we visit. If you have further questions, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native New Yorker?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in New York City. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhood and the city in which they live. We mainly stay off the beaten path, and thus avoid being consumed by crowds of tourists.
- I took this tour a year ago. Has anything changed?
- We change the tour slightly every six to eight months. Many parts of the tour remain the same, but we do our best to improve upon and enhance the tour.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all Foods of NY tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link on our web page.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available for groups of up to 48 people. To inquire about a private tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page. A Foods of New York Tours representative will contact you within 24 hours to inform you if the date and time requested is available.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tickets only valid for date and time selected.
- Tickets can only be used for the exact date and time for which they have been purchased. Once purchased, tickets may not be used or exchanged for any other date or time. During purchase, you must review all booking details carefully to ensure that all are correct and that there are no errors.
Foods of New York Tours
Foods of New York Tours was established in 1999 to help visitors and local residents find the ultimate food and cultural experience "off the beaten path,"but the adventure truly began over 25 years ago when we started exploring the delicious ethnic foods and diverse musical venues within Greenwich Village and SoHo.
Foods of New York Tours has been featured in Gourmet Magazine, The New York Times, USA Today, and many more publications.
Foods of New York Tours proudly offers our award winning food tasting and cultural walking tours through 5 amazing neighborhoods; Greenwich Village, Central Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market and Meatpacking district, Chinatown, and Nolita and Noho.
The staff at Foods of New York Tours is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Your satisfaction is our most important goal. We encourage you to check out the thousands of unedited reviews written by previous customers by clicking the links at the top of this page.
Foods of New York Tours