The Sushi and Japanese Tapas Food Tasting Event explores Japan’s diverse and elegant culinary traditions.
Your host will meet you inside one of New York’s most sensational Japanese restaurants. Take a seat at our private table and enjoy course after course of an incredibly diverse selection of small Japanese dishes and traditional style sushi. The nosh is paired with knowledge throughout the evening, providing historic and culinary insight into these amazing delicacies.
Every dish on the menu has been carefully selected to tell the complex story of Japan’s culinary history. Eighteen separate menu items have been prepared to demonstrate Japan's rich and diverse culinary influences.
- Japanese Tapas - Seven small plates ranging from seared rare beef to warm and delicate tofu drizzled with sweet miso
- Sashimi (3 types of sliced raw fish)
- Nigiri (3 types of sliced raw fish pressed on seasoned rice)
- Maki (raw fish, seasoned rice, rolled in nori seaweed)
- REAL fresh ground Wasabi
- A contemporary Japanese dessert
All tastings are included in your ticket purchase.
This is a large meal so come hungry.
Due to the nature of the event, only limited substitutions can be made. Please make all substitution requests in advance and we will try to accommodate.
We look forward to hosting you on this fun and delectable experience.
Irrasshaimase (we welcome you)!
What Is Not Included?
Extra with your tickets for an additional $15.00 per person.
Additional beverages can be purchased from the wait staff during the event and are not included in the price of the ticket.
Tour guide gratuities are not included in the cost of your ticket.
- What is the difference between this "Food Tasting event" and the other Foods of New York events?
- This event takes place at only one location. Unlike our other Food and Cultural Walking Tours, this activity provides a more in-depth understanding of Japanese cuisine, through a multiple course tutorial. This event is not focused on history or culture of New York. It is an educational celebration of some of the world's most unique food.
- Is there any walking involved?
- No. You will meet your host at one of New York most exciting Japanese restaurants and your entire experience takes place in the restaurant. There you will be served six courses and learn about the history and culture of the Japanese cuisine.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and events often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- How far in advance should I buy my tickets?
- As soon as you're sure of the date and time when you would like to attend! Because of the advance preparation required for the experience, you will not be able to purchase tickets up until the start time of the tour, as with other Foods of New York events. We may cut off ticket sales up to 18 hours before the scheduled tour time to prepare for the group. After the tickets sales for a particular event have stopped, we will not be able to accommodate last minute purchases, so please choose another date and time when you would like to attend.
- If an event is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add an additional event. Please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page to let us know what date you are interested in.
- How much food is served on the event?
- There are about 6 courses, each with a substantial amount of food. This is a full dinner.
- What types of foods are served on the event?
- We taste several dishes from various regions of Japan. Each course is significantly different the next.
- What is the name of the restaurant that we are visiting?
- The name and exact location of the restaurant is kept a secret until after you purchase tickets. However, we will be visiting a classic, highly-rated Japanese restaurant near Union Square. The atmosphere is somewhat casual, but the food offerings are unique and sophisticated.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The event is held inside an exciting NYC restaurant, where you meet your host. It is quite comfortable, rain or shine.
- Is the event appropriate for children?
- Although there are no official age restrictions for the event, we ask that you use your discretion when bringing children to the event. This Tasting Event is geared towards adults with palates more accustomed to enjoying unique cuisines. The event is meant to provide you with an in-depth look at many Japanese dishes and may not be very interesting to children.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Unlike our Food and Cultural Tours we cannot make any substitutions to accommodate special dietary conditions.
- Are there kosher options on the event?
- Unfortunately, we do not serve kosher substitutions during the event.
- Are there vegetarian options on the event?
- Unfortunately, we do not serve vegetarian substitutions during the event.
- Are there food options for diabetics?
- Unfortunately, we cannot serve any food substitutions for diabetics during the event.
- Are there any beverages served on the event?
- We supply water and green tea. Any other beverages may be purchased from the wait staff.
- Are alcoholic beverages served on the event?
- Although alcoholic beverages are not included in the price of your ticket, you may purchase Japanese Sake and Beer as an Extra for $10 when you buy your tickets.
- Do we just sit around and sample food?
- Absolutely not! Aside from sampling delicious food, you will also learn about the culture and history behind them. The Event is fully narrated by your Host, who will discuss the exciting and vibrant attributes of this cuisine.
- Are restrooms available during the event?
- Yes, you will will be able to use the restrooms at the restaurant.
- Are events offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer events in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the event, please contact Foods of New York by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- Is this event wheelchair/stroller accessible?
- The restaurant is wheelchair accessible, however, we are sitting at the Sushi bar, which is 2 1/2 feet higher up. Please let us know before purchasing tickets that you, or someone in your party, are attending in a wheelchair by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page. Although you are able to enter the restaurant with strollers, we ask that you refrain from bringing very young children as the experience is more geared towards adults.
- May I bring my dog to the event?
- Due to restrictions in the location we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this event.
- Are gift certificates available for The Sushi and Japanese Tapas Event
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all Foods of NY tours and experiences and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this activity, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the yellow box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Can I book a private event?
- Yes, private events are available for groups of up to 48 people. To inquire about a private event, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page. A Foods of New York Tours representative will contact you within 24 hours to inform you if the date and time requested is available.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tickets only valid for date and time selected.
- Tickets can only be used for the exact date and time for which they have been purchased. Once purchased, tickets may not be used or exchanged for any other date or time. During purchase, you must review all booking details carefully to ensure that all are correct and that there are no errors.
Foods of New York Tours
Foods of New York's unique tours have been featured in Gourmet Magazine, The New York TImes, USA Today, and many more publications.
Foods of New York proudly offers our award winning walking tours through three amazing neighborhoods; Greenwich Village, the Central Village and Soho, and the Chelsea Market and Meatpacking district.
Foods of New York also features Food Tasting Events. These unique events offer an in depth knowledge of culinary history paired with sophisticated food, in a comfortable sit down environment. Our premier event is Sushi and Japanese Tapas Food Tasting Event.
The staff at Foods of New York is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Your satisfaction is our most important goal. We encourage you to check out the hundreds of unedited reviews written by previous attendees by clicking the links at the top of this page.