Fredericksburg, "America's Most Historic City, is also considered to be one of the most haunted cities in the country. So join us to see if you can find any undead on one of our Ghost Tours through historic downtown Fredericksburg.
These 50-minute ghost tours run every evening in September, October and November. During this carriage tour, your guide will tell you all about the folklore of Fredericksburg including:
- The Woman in White
- The Ghost of Chatham
- The Ghost of Fielding Lewis
- The Witch of Pungo
- Ghosts in Dark Corners
All tours are group tours and you will ride in our wonderful Amish built wagonettes. White carriages are available for our private ride.
Tips are appreciated! Our tour guides give 100%!
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Fun for families
|diann73||Sat, Oct 18 9:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Enjoyed the ride and stories. Great time for families!
|RKolhagen||Sat, Oct 18 6:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
Mainly was for children's entertainment and knowledge of our local area and all the neat and interesting things that have happened and taken place in the city. Learned things I didn't know and feel it was a good way to show children around the city while learning about the history of the buildings and landmarks.
Guide was NOT a good storyteller
|PatHarris||Sun, Oct 12 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Couple on a Date|
Some interesting points made but you need a good storyteller to do this wel!
Fun spooky evening touring Old Towne
|JenNVB||Thu, Oct 9 7:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
Great stories and a fun ride. Guide was knowledgeable.
Ride was 20 minutes late!
|Robynpirog||Sat, Oct 4 8:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Ride was 20 minutes late because it. Had to compete with Octoberfest going on ! Streets closed drunk people .the driver needs to learn a lot more facts to captivate the passengers !
|caligus0423||Thu, Oct 2 7:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
scheduled a 6:00 tour at 6:30 had to call Zerve to ask where the tour was no one notified us it left an hour later guide had to refer to his Ghost Notes several times to tell a story. Tour guide's cell phone went off twice during the tour. very unhappy with tour. Carriage ride was beautiful through Fredricksberg.
It was nice
|mattament||Sat, Sep 27 7:00 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
More of a historical tour than a true ghost tour but entertaining nonetheless. Not the least bit scary/spooky - I wouldn't hesitate to bring children.
|Kelly131313||Sat, Sep 27 6:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
We went today on the tour and we ALL had a great time. Simply said, would recommend definitely. :)
Historical Architecture by Carriage and Ghosts!!!
|leah_eyerly||Fri, Sep 26 8:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
There is something special about touring old town Fredericksburg in a horse drawn carriage, it really takes you back in time and the oppritunity to view the amazing architecture. Many of the homes are well lit and it is kind of cool to beable to catch a glimpse of the interior architecture of such old homes. The tour is fun and informative sharing old tales of haunted locations, but nothing too scary or cheesy/ paranormal. Only complaints; the carriage was a bit crowded, there were 8 of us on there making it difficult to turn and look around, and the occasional vehicles who couldn't take a hint and go around...thanks for the blinding headlights. Other than that, it's was a nice pleasant ride narrated by an informative and fun hostess. Definitely would go again!
Good, fun tour
|lenzinij||Sat, Sep 20 9:00 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
We all enjoyed the ghost tour of Fredericksburg by horse drawn carriage. Tour guid was very friendly and informative; even horse had a personality of its own, which added to the experience. Learned about local dwellings and their haunted stories. I would go again!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended as tours often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance.
- What happens in bad weather?
- Tours will generally run in most weather conditions with the exception of snow and extreme humidity. In the rare case where we are forced to cancel a tour, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability). However, please note for the safety of the animals, tours may also be delayed during extremely hot temperatures or humidity to allow animals additional rest time or suspended if the temperature or heat index reaches an unsafe level.
- What happens if we are late?
- Our tours leave right on time so we ask that you please arrive at the Carriage Stand located directly in front of the Fredericksburg Visitor Center at least 10 minutes before your tour time. Please be on time as tickets are non-refundable.
- How many people can fit on your carriages?
- We have the Amish built wagonettes available for these rides. Each wagonette can hold 6 adults. If you have children you can fit 4 adults and 2 children or 2 adults and 4 children. On these ghost tours we will often run multiple carriages at the same time, so groups may have to split up.
- What about children, can they come?
- Yes, children of all ages may attend and we do offer reduced-price tickets for children ages 4-10. Kids under the age of 4 can come for free as long as they are sitting in an adult's lap, but must be accounted for when purchasing your tickets by selecting a "Lap Child Extra." Should you wish for children under the age of 4 to have their own seat, you may purchase a Child ticket for them.
- Is this appropriate for younger children? Is it too scary?
- Yes, it is appropriate. None of the ghost stories are very scary and although we have a lot of them, they are more mysterious than spooky.
- Can we sit together?
- Seating on our group tours is on a first-come, first-served basis. However, please note that we often run multiple carriages at a time and it's possible that groups may need to be split up.
- Where is the best place to sit?
- Most times the carriage has the top down and all monuments, markers and attractions are easily seen. However, if the top is up, all seats still have a clear view of all attractions.
- Does the carriage stop and let individuals off to tour different sights?
- In an effort to keep the tour on schedule and minimize safety concerns, we do not let passengers on and off the carriage except at the designated carriage stand located at the beginning of the tour. We do, however, offer other step-on and step-off tours, so please check out our private tour options by clicking on the "List of All Activities" link to the left.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour concludes back at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center right where it began.
- Should we tip our guide?
- Yes, this is a personal service and 15% to 20% is exceptable!
- Do you offer AAA, AARP, or senior discounts?
- Our goal is to make the price of the tours affordable for everyone by keeping the ticket cost as low as possible. Therefore, at the present time we do not offer any discounts on our tickets.
- How long does the tour last?
- These narrated group tours of the downtown historic district last 50 minutes. If you are looking for a longer tour of Frederickburg, please click on the "List of All Activities" link to the left to check out our full and half day tours.
- Does the horse like his job?
- Carriage and draft horses are bred to work in harness. In fact, the exercise keeps them healthy. Horses even recognize, respond to and develop affection for their drivers.
- Does the pavement hurt his hooves?
- No, because he wears protective shoes and his hooves are made of the same substance as fingernails. The hooves are hard and they have no feeling on the outside.
- May I pet the horse?
- Each horse is different. Always ask the driver if it is safe to touch the horse.
- Can we feed the horses?
- We prefer that individuals do not feed the horses.
- How much weight can a horse pull?
- A horse can easily pull a wheeled vehicle that is six (6) times his own weight; however most carriage horses are used at only 25% of that capacity. But we limit the weight in the carriages to 800 lbs.
- Can I bring food or drinks on board the carriage?
- Guests are welcome to bring a bottle of water with them, but we don't allow any other food or drinks on board the carriages.
- Are the carriages equipped for the handicapped? How do you board the carriage?
- Due to the age, size and authenticity of our carriages they are not currently ADA equipped. There is one step up into the carriage from the street which can be about 7-8 inches off the ground. It's up to the individual to determine whether they feel comfortable in boarding the carriage, but our staff is happy to assist individuals if needed.
- Can I store a stroller or wheelchair on the carriage?
- Unfortunately, we do not have room for you to store your stroller or wheelchair. Most of our guests choose to store their larger belongings in their cars during the tour.
- Can I bring a pet with me on the carriage?
- No, unfortunately due to insurance regulations, we are not allowed to have pets on board the carriages.
- Is there a bathroom available?
- There isn't time for a bathroom stop during the tour, but there are public restroom facilities available at the departure point. We suggest using those before or after your tour. Please keep in mind the public restrooms close at 7pm.
- Is there parking nearby the departure point?
- Yes, there are both public parking and city parking garages available near the departure point. Please be aware that street parking in the area is limited to 2 hours with the exception of Sundays.
- Can I do a private carriage tour?
- Yes, we do offer other tour options if you are interested in taking a tour with just a private group. Please click on the "List of All Activities" link to the left to check out our other tour options.
- Can I book a carriage as part of my wedding?
- Sure! There's nothing more romantic than including a carriage in your wedding plans. To inquire about using a private carriage as part of your wedding transportation, please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link and let us know what you have in mind.
- Can I do a custom tour for a group?
- Yes, custom tours within the historic district are available for groups as well. Please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link to inquire further.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for purchase and are the perfect present for friends or family. Please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link for more details.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tours may be cancelled due to severe weather or delayed in extreme heat or humidity.
- These tours run in most weather conditions except for severe weather. For the safety of the horses, tours may be delayed during extremely hot temperatures to allow animals additional rest time or suspended if it's unsafe for the horses. In the case we are forced to cancel, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg
Even though we are small we are experts in our field with more than 40 years of horse experience and a total of 25 years of carriage driving experience.
We have several services to offer the public including historical tours of downtown Fredericksburg, carriage services for weddings, private rides and events. Our tours are very personal with one tour guide for every four to six people. We provide the most comfortable and relaxing tours in town.