The most personal and green tour in Town, no more than six adults to a carriage allowing for a unique experience! All Group Tours are giving in our beautiful Amish made wagonettes!
Enjoy a trip back in time during your carriage ride and learn about:
- Market Square and the Fredericksburg Area Museum/Cultural Center
- Dr. Hugh Mercer's apothecary shop
- Rising Sun Tavern - Fredericksburg's only proper tavern and the former home of Charles Washington
- Fielding Lewis and Betty Washington's Kenmore Plantation
- Living history museums that include the home of Mary Washington and law office of James Monroe
- The slave trade and the still standing auction block
- Timeless, gracious homes with lush gardens and picket fences
- The breathtaking churches that include the church George Washington attended as a child
Your tour guide will be a licensed professional with extensive knowledge of Fredericksburg's history and you'll enjoy stories from over 300 years of this city's amazing past. Beat the Heat! Check out our early bird and evening tours in July and August!
Tips are appreciated! Our drivers give 100%!
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|ulmschneider||Sat, Oct 11 3:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We took a carriage ride of old town Fredericksburg, VA. We both loved it and the Guide was awesome!
|DavidDague||Fri, Sep 5 4:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
My wife and I enjoyed the carriage ride and the historical area. The driver was very knowledgeable and informative. There were many small shops in the area but we expected the area to be more like Gettysburg. We didn't find much in the town to represent the Civil war era.
|sjdm2000||Thu, Aug 14 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Great way to start the day for my moms birthday
|sharpedent||Wed, Aug 6 10:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
I wanted to do something special for my mom's 70th birthday so I decided to take her and my family on a carriage tour downtown. This was the first time for everyone and we all had a great time. A lot of interesting facts were told and my 10 year got a history lesson as well. We would recommend taking this tour and I hope to take the ghost and Christmas tour when they are available.
Wonderfully relaxing & informative
|amahaffey||Tue, Aug 5 11:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Our driver and Tony were delightful. My guests from Charleston found it very enjoyable, allowing for a unique view of Old Towne Fredericksburg!
Good Tour, reservation was triple booked
|Backfinclump||Sat, Jul 26 3:00 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We had to wait until later time to take tour. Our 3:00 timeslot was triple booked and we missed another planned activity to reschedule the tour.
Fantastic ride where you learn a lot!
|cleo1787||Fri, Jul 11 10:00 AM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
My mom and I did this carriage tour because we wanted to see downtown Fredericksburg, but we were limited on time. This tour was perfect. The two guides were extremely knowledgeable and funny. We learned so much history about Fredericksburg while getting to see the main historical sites. It helped us decide which museums to visit due to our limited time. We highly suggest this!
Interesting, enjoyable trip
|elarbaiza||Fri, Jun 20 12:00 PM||Female||50-59||Combination||Other|
My friend from out of town and I took a carriage ride through Fredericksburg. The two gentlemen conducting the tour were friendly and very informative about the Washington family and others involved with Fredericksburg history, showing us the sites. We both also enjoyed Patricia the horse and were very glad that it was not too hot for her. I will probably do this event again when relatives are visiting later this summer. I'm sure they would enjoy it as well.
Very enjoyable, interesting. Historical info great
|Chamlett||Tue, Jun 3 11:00 AM||Male||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
This tour may also be considered romantic if you are in to the ambiance it brings as the city streets come to life. Much " forgotten" history has taken place here with our Founding Fathers and their families. Bring an apple along for Tony as he will be your most loyal Chauffeur. It is definitly worth the $15.00 per person.
|Louilli||Sun, Jun 1 12:00 PM||Male||70+||Combination||Family Without Children|
We all enjoy the Tour and sites,weather cooperating made it more fantastic. Great day had by all
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended as tours often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Any remaining tickets will be sold on the day of the tour and can be purchased at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center beginning at 11:45 am Monday - Sunday.
- What happens in bad weather?
- Tours will generally run in most weather conditions with the exception of snow and extreme humidity. In the rare case where we are forced to cancel a tour, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability). However, please note for the safety of the animals, tours may also be delayed during extremely hot temperatures or humidity to allow animals additional rest time or suspended if the temperature or heat index reaches an unsafe level.
- What happens if we are late?
- Our tours leave right on time so we ask that you please arrive at the Carriage Stand located directly in front of the Fredericksburg Visitor Center at least 10 minutes before your tour time. Please be on time as tickets are non-refundable.
- What type of carriage do we ride in?
- We use two different wagonettes, these are built by the Amish. They are very smooth riding and comfortable, they both have a top to keep the sun off. If you are looking for the white vis-a-via this is available when you book a private ride.
- How many people can fit on your carriages?
- We use Amish built wagonettes. They fit a maximum of 6 adults per carriage. So if you have children you can fit a combination of people 4 adults 2 children or 2 adults and 4 children.
- What about children, can they come?
- Yes, children of all ages may attend and we do offer reduced-price tickets for children ages 4-10. Kids under the age of 4 can come for free as long as they are sitting in an adult's lap, but must be accounted for when purchasing your tickets by selecting a "Lap Child Extra." Should you wish for children under the age of 4 to have their own seat, you may purchase a Child ticket for them.
- Can we sit together?
- Seating on our group tours is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Where is the best place to sit?
- Many times the carriage has the top down and all monuments, markers and attractions are easily seen. If it's hot the top goes up but all seats still have a clear view of all attractions.
- Does the carriage stop and let individuals off to tour different sights?
- In an effort to keep the tour on schedule and minimize safety concerns, we do not let passengers on and off the carriage except at the designated carriage stand located at the beginning of the tour. We do, however, offer other step-on and step-off tours, so please check out our private tour options by clicking on the "List of All Activities" link to the left.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour concludes back at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center right where it began.
- Do you offer AAA, AARP, or senior discounts?
- Our goal is to make the price of the tours affordable for everyone by keeping the ticket cost as low as possible. Therefore, at the present time we do not offer any discounts on our tickets.
- Should we tip our guide?
- Yes, this is a personal service and 15% to 20% is exceptable!
- How long does the tour last?
- These narrated group tours of the downtown historic district last 45 minutes. If you are looking for a longer tour of Frederickburg, please click on the "List of All Activities" link to the left to check out our full and half day tours.
- Does the horse like his job?
- Carriage and draft horses are bred to work in harness. In fact, the exercise keeps them healthy. Horses even recognize, respond to and develop affection for their drivers.
- Does the pavement hurt his hooves?
- No, because he wears protective shoes and his hooves are made of the same substance as fingernails. The hooves are hard and they have no feeling on the outside.
- May I pet the horse?
- Each horse is different. Always ask the driver if it is safe to touch the horse.
- Can we feed the horses?
- We prefer that individuals do not feed the horses.
- How much weight can a horse pull?
- A horse can easily pull a wheeled vehicle that is six (6) times his own weight; however most carriage horses are used at only 25% of that capacity. But we limit the weight in the carriages to 800 lbs.
- Is it normal for a horse to sweat?
- Yes. It is a natural cooling process, just as it is with people. We do not take the horses out on very humid days because it is hard for the horses to cool down, their sweat does not evaporate and their bodies don't effectively cool. On days over 92 degrees and high humidity it is best to call ahead to make sure rides are not delayed.
- Can I bring food or drinks on board the carriage?
- Guests are welcome to bring a bottle of water with them, but we don't allow any other food or drinks on board the carriages.
- Are the carriages equipped for the handicapped? How do you board the carriage?
- Due to the age, size and authenticity of our carriages they are not currently ADA equipped. There is one step up into the carriage from the street which can be about 7-8 inches off the ground. It's up to the individual to determine whether they feel comfortable in boarding the carriage, but our staff is happy to assist individuals if needed.
- Can I store a stroller or wheelchair on the carriage?
- Unfortunately, we do not have room for you to store your stroller or wheelchair. Most of our guests choose to store their larger belongings in their cars during the tour.
- Can I bring a pet with me on the carriage?
- No, unfortunately due to insurance regulations, we are not allowed to have pets on board the carriages.
- Is there a bathroom available?
- There isn't time for a bathroom stop during the tour, but there are public restroom facilities available at the departure point. We suggest using those before or after your tour.
- Is there parking nearby the departure point?
- Yes, there are both public parking and city parking garages available near the departure point. Please be aware that street parking in the area is limited to 2 hours with the exception of Sundays.
- Can I do a private carriage tour?
- Yes, we do offer other tour options if you are interested in taking a tour with just a private group. Please click on the "List of All Activities" link to the left to check out our other tour options.
- Can I book a carriage as part of my wedding?
- Sure! There's nothing more romantic than including a carriage in your wedding plans. To inquire about using a private carriage as part of your wedding transportation, please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link and let us know what you have in mind.
- Can I do a custom tour for a group?
- Yes, custom tours within the historic district are available for groups as well. Please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link to inquire further.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tours may be cancelled due to severe weather or delayed in extreme heat or humidity.
- These tours run in most weather conditions except for severe weather. For the safety of the horses, tours may be delayed during extremely hot temperatures to allow animals additional rest time or suspended if it's unsafe for the horses. In the case we are forced to cancel, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg
Even though we are small we are experts in our field with more than 40 years of horse experience and a total of 25 years of carriage driving experience.
We have several services to offer the public including historical tours of downtown Fredericksburg, carriage services for weddings, private rides and events. Our tours are very personal with one tour guide for every four to six people. We provide the most comfortable and relaxing tours in town.