On this 50-minute carriage ride through historic downtown Fredericksburg, you'll get to:
- Discover the beautiful holiday lights
- Learn some Christmas Trivia
- Listen to some holiday music
- Enjoy some yummy holiday popcorn
- And don't forget to bring some hot chocolate and warm blankets to round out your holiday experience.
Sharpen up on those Christmas Carols!
Please note that carriages are assigned by number of individuals riding! If you want a more romantic ride in our elegant carriage please book our Private Ride!
Tips are appreciated! Our drivers give 100%!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|BHMcCaul||Sun, Dec 29, 13 8:00 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
We picked the best night to go: A quiet Sunday night. Driver was experienced and handled the horse well, and was knowledgeable about historic Fredericksburg. Thanks so much. We had a great time!
Would do again!
|ChameleoN||Sun, Dec 29, 13 7:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
Had a great time with my hunny. We both really enjoyed it and the driver Diana was super awesome. Will do more in future seasons.
|Maryannpeter||Sat, Dec 28, 13 7:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
We did the holiday ride. Our driver was pleasant and informative. I wish there had been a few comments directed at children. Also,I had hoped to sing along, with my grandchildren, to Christmas carols; but the music was not working. The horses were a great hit and everyone enjoyed the mint popcorn. We had a good time.
Historical Jingle Bell Ride Trough Old Town
|fkeeler102||Thu, Dec 26, 13 8:00 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
On an evening where the air was cold and crisp and the shy was clear and full of stars we took to the streets of old town Fredericksburg taking in the ambiance of the Christmas spirit. Our guide had Christmas music plating softly in the background as she spoke of the history many of the pasting buildings held. It seemed the horse knew where... to pull the sleigh... through the paths of streets we'd go. Christmas lights, moon light, Christmas spirit.....a great time had by all.
was a great family time
|dhuston||Thu, Dec 26, 13 8:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Local||Family Without Children|
This was a great family night out. Everyone in the group really enjoyed the ride. The carriage driver was great and knew a lot about town. She gave us a bit of a history lesson which was really fun.
Highly recommend this activity!
|Pattianne||Thu, Dec 26, 13 7:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
I had a friend come in from Ohio and he and I and two other of my friends took the Jingle Bells carriage ride. It was evening and old town Fredericksburg was all decorated and lit up for the holidays which made it even more special. I asked our driver if we could have some history of the area we rode through since we were all interested in that. She was Fantastic! Informative but with a lot of humor thrown in. I learned so much about the area and it was lovely to travel at a pace where you could see the buildings being discussed and it was almost magical in that it seemed to take you right back in time with the sound of the horses moving and the bells and the old buildings. If you have out of town guests, if you want a romantic date, if you just want a unique experience this is it! I have been on other carriage rides, but they didn't last as long or have as much detail as this one does. I have nothing at all negative to say and if you're looking for value for the money, you won't go wrong here! :-) It's a memory maker!
|LynnetteRoss||Thu, Dec 26, 13 6:00 PM||Female||50-59||Combination||Family With Children|
Every one enjoyed the nostalgic Christmas carriage ride. It was our second year doing this and with a larger group going us this year.
Great time had by all
|lmcolizza||Thu, Dec 26, 13 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Family group of five, from 26 months to 63 years old. Great time was had by all. Patricia was our guide & driver and was both entertaining. And informative.
Awesome Family Event
|VickiThorpe||Thu, Dec 26, 13 5:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
We had 3 generations of family over the holidays and this was a highlight to the Christmas week. I recommend securing whether you are getting the pictured red velvet interior coach rides or the wooden seated one - - this doesn't look like an option at the time of paying and I paid the same regardless of the ride. I paid in advance for a large and small carriage but not until getting onto the carriages (too late) we were told 5 of us had to take the wooden carriage. I wish I had just known in advance...thank God for family with great attitudes!! It was all fun but..
Wonderful Christmas Eve Activity
|malenamalone||Tue, Dec 24, 13 6:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
Our family booked this tour for our annual Christmas Eve activity, but would be a great tour for any time of year. The Christmas lights in downtown do make it all the more magical. Our tour guide Patricia, has a great historical knowledge of Fredericksburg so as we traveled through town, she pointed out the historical landmarks and related local stories and lore. She was a funny and delightful driver for our ride! The carriage had blankets to help keep off the chill, the carriage was clean and they were on-time picking us up in front of the Visitors Center. I have a nine year old, and she loved it too! I didn't know what to expect when I booked the carriage ride and am happy to say that it exceeded my expectations and is well worth the price paid. Booking this carriage ride each year will be a new Christmas Eve tradition for our family!!! Thanks so much!!
- Is Santa Claus on this Ride?
- Santa Claus is not available on this ride, if you would like an experience with Santa Claus please reserve our Santa Experience!
- Is this a Historical Tour?
- No, this is time for you to spend with your family to get into the Christmas Spirit, however if something catches your attention please feel free to ask the driver questions, they will be more than happy to answer any questions.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended as rides often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance.
- How many people can fit on your carriages?
- We have multiple carriages with different capacities, so when purchasing your ticket, please select the carriage that is appropriate for your group. Our Vis-a-vis carriage can hold a total of 6 individuals with a maximum of 4 adults. Our Limo and our Wagonette carriages can hold a total of 8 individuals with a maximum of 6 adults. Please note for determining capacity, an adult would be considered anyone age 11 and up.
- Is my group alone on the carriage?
- Yes, these rides are for private groups. When you buy your ticket you are purchasing use of the entire carriage for your group.
- What happens in bad weather?
- These rides will generally run in most weather conditions including light snow, but cannot run in icy conditions. In the rare case where we are forced to cancel a ride, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- What happens if we are late?
- Our tours leave right on time so we ask that you please arrive at the Carriage Stand located directly in front of the Fredericksburg Visitor Center at least 10 minutes before your tour time. Please be on time as tickets are non-refundable.
- What about children, can they come?
- Yes, children of all ages may attend. Since you are purchasing the entire carriage for your group please remember to count the total number of passengers in your group, including children.
- Where is the best place to sit?
- Many times the carriage has the top down and all monuments, markers and attractions are easily seen. If it's hot the top goes up but all seats still have a clear view of all attractions.
- Does the carriage stop and let individuals off to tour different sights?
- In an effort to keep the ride on schedule and minimize safety concerns, we do not let passengers on and off the carriage except at the designated carriage stand located at the beginning of the tour. We do, however, offer other step-on and step-off tours, so please check out our private tour options by clicking on the "List of All Activities" link to the left.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour concludes back at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center right where it began.
- Should we tip the driver?
- Yes, this is considered a personal service so it is appropriate to tip 15% to 20%.
- Do you offer AAA, AARP, or senior discounts?
- Yes we do offer a senior and military discount please ask about the discount when reserving your ride.
- How long does the ride last?
- These group rides of the downtown historic district last 50 minutes, but please allow another 10 minutes to load and unload carriage. If you are looking for a tour of Fredericksburg, please click on the "List of All Activities" link to the left to check out our other activities.
- Does the horse like his job?
- Carriage and draft horses are bred to work in harness. In fact, the exercise keeps them healthy. Horses even recognize, respond to and develop affection for their drivers.
- Does the pavement hurt his hooves?
- No, because he wears protective shoes and his hooves are made of the same substance as fingernails. The hooves are hard and they have no feeling on the outside.
- May I pet the horse?
- Each horse is different. Always ask the driver if it is safe to touch the horse.
- Can we feed the horses?
- We prefer that individuals do not feed the horses.
- How much weight can a horse pull?
- A horse can easily pull a wheeled vehicle that is six (6) times his own weight; however most carriage horses are used at only 25% of that capacity. But we limit the weight in the carriages to 800 lbs.
- Can I bring food or drinks on board the carriage?
- Normally we only allow guests to bring a bottle of water with them, but because of the special occasion and holiday spirit we give out holiday cookies and allow hot drinks as long as they have lids on the container.
- Are the carriages equipped for the handicapped? How do you board the carriage?
- Due to the age, size and authenticity of our carriages they are not currently ADA equipped. There is one step up into the carriage from the street which can be about 7-8 inches off the ground. It's up to the individual to determine whether they feel comfortable in boarding the carriage, but our staff is happy to assist individuals if needed.
- Can I store a stroller or wheelchair on the carriage?
- Unfortunately, we do not have room for you to store your stroller or wheelchair. Most of our guests choose to store their larger belongings in their cars during the tour.
- Can I bring a pet with me on the carriage?
- No, unfortunately due to insurance regulations, we are not allowed to have pets on board the carriages.
- Is there a bathroom available?
- There isn't time for a bathroom stop during the tour, but there are public restroom facilities available at the departure point. We suggest using those before or after your tour. Please keep in mind the public restrooms close at 7pm.
- Is there parking nearby the departure point?
- Yes, there are both public parking and city parking garages available near the departure point. Please be aware that street parking in the area is limited to 2 hours with the exception of Sundays.
- Can I book a carriage as part of my wedding?
- Sure! There's nothing more romantic than including a carriage in your wedding plans. To inquire about using a private carriage as part of your wedding transportation, please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link and let us know what you have in mind.
- Can I do a custom tour for a group?
- Yes, custom tours within the historic district are available for groups as well. Please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link to inquire further.
- What is the difference between a Wagonette and a Limo?
- A Limo is a classic Victorian carriage with two seats that face each other and a seat on the back that faces backwards. A Wagonette is a more traditional fringe top surrey with two bench seats on the side that face each other.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tours may be cancelled due to severe or icy weather.
- These events run in most weather conditions, except for severe weather or icy conditions. In the rare case where we are forced to cancel an event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg
Even though we are small we are experts in our field with more than 40 years of horse experience and a total of 25 years of carriage driving experience.
We have several services to offer the public including historical tours of downtown Fredericksburg, carriage services for weddings, private rides and events. Our tours are very personal with one tour guide for every four to six people. We provide the most comfortable and relaxing tours in town.