What is included?
A guided tour through Brooklyn's most dynamic areas where you'll sample some of the local cuisines that make the city so unique.
It's been said that "A trip to Brooklyn is like a trip around the world." How true it is.
It's amazing how many people visit New York City and never see Brooklyn.
The neighborhoods on the tour may include among others:
- New Williamsburg, home to many ethnic groups and a thriving art community where you'll be enjoying a slice of delectable authentic Neapolitan brick oven thin crust pizza topped off with a freshly prepared cannoli for dessert.
- Old Williamsburg, a drive through the Ultra Orthodox Hasidic Jewish area where time seems to stand still.
- Greenpoint, featuring one of largest Polish populations in the United States for a sit down meal at neighborhood favorite eatery, featuring the best kielbasa sausage, pierogies and more.
- DUMBO, where we'll stop at the Jacques Torres chocolate factory, and visit Brooklyn Bridge Park for an excellent view of Manhattan's famous skyline including amazing views of the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Sunset Park, featuring a plethora of Latin American food establishments for a picnic style lunch in the park featuring the "Cuban" sandwich. (Indoors during the colder months or in the event of inclement weather)
Though we will drive to get from one neighborhood to the next, you'll have plenty of time to walk around and take pictures in each area where we stop.
What Is Not Included?
Additionally, gratuities for your tour guide and driver, although not required, are always appreciated.
- What's so special about Brooklyn?
- Travel guidebook publisher Lonely Planet named Brooklyn as one of the top destinations in its "Blue List," an annual worldwide best-of guide. Brooklyn (its name as borough of the city of New York; it is also Kings County, a county of the state of New York), the "Borough of Homes and Churches," is one of the five Boroughs of New York. It used to be and still feels much like a city in its own right, with approximately 2.5 million inhabitants. If separate from the rest of New York City, Brooklyn would be the 4th largest American city.
- What is the maximum number of people on each tour?
- The tour is typically limited to 24 people in order to keep it a somewhat intimate experience but on rare occasions may have more.
- How will we get to Brooklyn?
- Escorted transportation to Brooklyn via car or bus is included in the price of this tour. You'll be met by your guide in Greenwich Village and then will be escorted to Brooklyn. Along the way, you'll be passing through some historic areas of lower Manhattan which may include a surprise "bonus" food tasting.
- Is this also a walking tour?
- Yes, although we do spend some time traveling to Brooklyn by bus or car, you'll be walking through through some of the great areas described in the tour.
- Is there food and drink served on the tour?
- Yes. We'll be sampling delicious food from various establishments on the tour. A cold bottle of spring water is provided to every guest at the start of the tour.
- Is the price of all the food included in my ticket purchase.
- Yes. The price is all inclusive of all the delicious food tastings that you'll be eating on the tour.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There's plenty of stops for tastings on the tour. For most people there is enough food that lunch afterwards is not necessary.
- Are there vegetarian options on the tour?
- Yes, there are only a few tastings that involve meat on the tour. The vegetarian options are just as delicious.
- Is this also considered a sightseeing tour of Brooklyn?
- Without a doubt, Yes! We cover many different and unique areas that are off the beaten path and the photo opportunities will be priceless. Be sure to bring your camera!!
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Absolutely not! Aside from sampling delicious food, you will also experience life in the various neighborhoods that we visit. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss the history, culture, architecture, entertainment offerings, and of course off-the-beaten-path food establishments.
- Are there kosher options on the tour?
- Yes, there are a few establishments on the tour that feature kosher food.
- Are gift certificates available for the tour?
- Absolutely! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. There will many of great opportunities for taking memorable photos. Remember to bring your camera.
- What type of vehicle will be used on the tour?
- It could vary. It depends on the amount of people attending the tour on that day.
- Are your vehicles air-conditioned?
- Yes! All of the vehicles used for our tours have air-conditioning for the summer months and heating for the winter months.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native New Yorker?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in New York City. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhood and the city in which they live. We mainly stay off the beaten path, and thus avoid being consumed by crowds of tourists.
- Does the tour occur rain or shine?
- Yes, the tour runs regardless of weather. We spend a portion of our time in the tour vehicle, but do make several stops. Please dress appropriately for the weather so you are comfortable when we stop.
- Does the tour include stops or are we in the vehicle the whole tour?
- We'll be getting out and walking around at various locations on the tour. You have the option to get out at most locations to explore, take photos etc.
- Can I bring wine, beer or other alcoholic beverages on the bus?
- No. It is against New York State law to consume alcohol on a bus. Some of the restaurants we visit do have alcoholic beverages for sale, so please be sure to bring sufficient cash and a valid ID.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. However, since the tour is mostly visual, the tour can work wonderfully even if you have only a basic understanding of English.
- Is there assigned seating on the bus?
- There is no assigned seating on the bus - it's first come, first serve. If you have a number of people in your party who want to sit together, you should make sure to arrive 15-20 minutes early. Guests that arrive late or right at the starting time are much more likely to have to split up their group.
- Where does the tour begin?
- It starts in the Heart of Greenwich Village (aka The West Village) where you'll be met by your guide. Greenwich Village is easily reached by taxi or subway from anywhere in Manhattan. Exact meeting location details, including a map and subway directions, will be provided to you immediately upon purchasing your eticket.
- How long is the tour?
- The tour is about 4.5 hours long, but it can run a bit longer or shorter, depending on traffic.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour ends at the original meeting location, in Greenwich Village.
- Can I bring my pet?
- No. Sorry, pets are not allowed.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- New York Fun Tours does not include gratuities in the cost of our tours. A standard gratuity for a tour guide in New York City is 15% to 20% of the tour price. If you had a great time gratuities are accepted by our tour guides.
- Do you offer discounts for travel agents?
- The standard travel agent discount is 10%. This discount is valid for travel agents who will be attending the tour, and requires the agent to provide a business card at the start of the tour. To use this discount, please contact New York Fun Tours by clicking "Contact FunTours" and providing your travel agency's name and contact information.
New York Fun Tours ®
The goal of New York Fun Tours® is to provide both an interesting and unique way of learning about New York City, featuring both historically established neighborhoods as well as up-and-coming areas.
GIFT CERTIFICATES are now available for this and all our NY tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact FunTours" link on the left of the page.
Your satisfaction is our most important goal. We encourage you to check out the unedited reviews written by previous attendees by clicking the links at the top of this page.