The Haight Ashbury Flower Power Walking Tour is 60% hippy history, 40% architecture/general local history, and always 100% ‘far-out’ fun!
Saunter along the same paths travelled by Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead and countless others who etched their marks into the collective creativity of the 20th century! We cover 12 blocks (mostly flat), ending 2 blocks from the start. You'll visit The Psychedelic History Museum, open only in conjunction with the tour, inside a restored Victorian B&B, home of your seasoned hosts!
Other tour highlights include:
- The Grateful Dead House
- The Love Pageant Rally
- The Straight Theater
- The California Baseball League
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to pay in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended, as tours often sell out. You can purchase tickets in advance using a Visa or Mastercard. Walkups are a gamble!
- Do you offer discounts for groups?
- Yes, groups of 20 or more receive a 20% discount. Please click on the "Contact HaightTour" link to email us if you are planning to take the tour with a large group so that we can offer you this discount.
- Do I have to buy a ticket for my child?
- Kids age 9 and under may go on the tour free. You will need to buy a regular ticket for kids age 10 and up.
- Is this tour appropriate for children?
- This is actually a very popular tour for families with middle-school-aged boys who don't find a lot of other things they think sound "cool" to do! It's up to you to determine what you think is appropriate for your kids. We talk about the Sixties- and you know what that era was all about. The tour content is not offensive, unless you found the Sixties offensive!
- Can I bring my dog?
- Sorry, we go into one pet-free house. If you don't mind missing that then feel free to bring your well-behaved dog on a leash. We will have to ask you to leave the tour if your dog causes any problems, however.
- Are there many hills?
- No, we stick to basically flat terrain with the exception of one half-a-block-up hill. We also go up 11 steps to enter the Psychedelic History Museum.
- Is this tour wheelchair- and stroller-accessible?
- 97% of the tour is accessible, but there is one 10-minute stop (at the Psychedelic History Museum) that involves 11 steps. We'll provide you with interesting materials to peruse while you wait.
- Can I cut out a little early due to a scheduling conflict?
- No problem. Since we're on foot and are along a major bus route it is easy to get elsewhere in a hurry . Cabs are usually easy to flag down should you need one.
- Are any snacks or beverages included in the price of the tour?
- No, but there will be ample opportunities to purchase food and beverages after the tour. Feel free to bring a bottle of water or other beverage along with you.
- Are there any vegetarian restaurants in the vicinity?
- There is The Ganges (Indian vegetarian), and several of the restaurants have wide choices for vegetarians and vegans.
- Where can I buy you know what?
- Sorry. We can't hook you up, but under California's Prop. 215 there are plenty of legal (on a State level) clubs in the San Francisco Bay Area for those who have obtained a letter from their doctor and the proper I.D. to make their medicinal purchases with dignity over the counter with quality and quantity verifiable. How times have changed, huh !?!
- Do we visit the Fillmore Auditorium?
- The Fillmore is not actually located in the Haight Ashbury, so it is beyond the scope of the tour. It is not very far away, however, and is a relatively easy bus ride: Take the #43 bus to Geary and walk about 10 blocks east, or transfer on Geary to the #38 to Fillmore St. Your guide can give you directions if you'd like to visit it after the tour.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour ends about two blocks away from where we started, in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood. (Exact meeting location will be provided upon purchase of tickets.)
- Does the tour go rain or shine?
- Yes, we go out rain or shine (or fog), so please dress appropriately for the weather. In San Francisco, regardless of season, it's usually a good idea to dress in layers.
- Is this a good sightseeing tour of San Francisco?
- Yes! The tour is about 60% hippy history and 40% general neighborhood/local history and architecture. You'll get a good feel for a big part of the spirit of San Francisco and some great insights into local culture.
- Are tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, the tours are conducted in English. However, since plenty of the tour is visual, those with limited English can still have a good time.
- Are there bathrooms available along the tour route?
- We stop for a rest and restroom break about two-thirds of the way through the tour (after about an hour and a half or so). Along the route there are plenty of cafes where you can use the bathroom if you need to - perhaps in exchange for buying a drink or snack.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately 2 1/2 hours, with a rest and restroom break about two-thirds of the way through the tour. We move at a leisurely pace, covering about 12 blocks.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a resident San Franciscan?
- Absolutely! Come see the Haight through the eyes of those who knew it in the Sixties. Our guides are sure to regale you with things you never knew, for your own enjoyment or to pass on to your visiting guests.
- Can I arrange a private tour?
- Private tours are available at any time for groups of 4 or more. Click on the "Contact HaightTour" link to email us to arrange one! Bear in mind, many groups prefer to join the public tour, since much of the fun is mixing and mingling with other great people.
- Do you offer any special discounts for media?
- If you are in the media and would like to attend our tour, please email us by clicking the "Contact HaightTour" link. We welcome the great publicity!
- What do I do if I don't own a credit card?
- We can't guarantee your place on the tour unless you purchase a ticket in advance using a Visa or Mastercard. If you don't own a credit card, you may try walking up the day of the tour, but it's a gamble.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine
- In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time.
Haight Ashbury Flower Power Walking Tour
We have been a member of the San Francisco Visitor and Convention Bureau for 10 years and are all licensed San Francisco tour guides. We've been featured on Bay Area Backroads and in Frommer's, as well as in dozens of other travel guidebooks and newspaper and magazine articles.
Owner Pam Brennan is also the co-producer of The Hippy Gourmet TV show as seen on PBS.