One discounted ticket will guarantee you a spot on the Charleston Harbor Tour AND entitle you to a voucher for admission to Boone Hall Plantation that can be used for any date and time!
This combo package includes:
1) A ticket for a Charleston Harbor Tour
Aboard the classic, 85-foot Carolina Belle, cruise the scenic Charleston Harbor while hearing fascinating local stories and seeing more than 75 landmarks, some critical to our nation’s history, including:
- Fort Sumter - Charleston's premiere historic attraction
- Civil War Forts Moultrie and Johnson
- USS Yorktown: the famous World War II “Fighting Lady”
- St. Michael’s Episcopal Church
- Stately homes on the Battery
- Cooper River Bridges, including the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge
Boone Hall Plantation is touted as “America’s Most Photographed Plantation” and “a must see stop on any trip to Charleston.” Explore the mansion and surrounding property, including:
- Historic brick slave cabins, a smoke house, and a cotton gin
- A butterfly garden featuring antique roses, camellias, and other native South Carolina plants
- Enjoy the setting in which many TV shows and movies have been filmed
What Is Not Included?
The Carolina Belle has a snack bar on board, and food and beverages are also available for sale in the Butterfly Cafe at Boone Hall Plantation, so you may want to bring extra cash with you.
Transportation from Charleston Harbor Tours to Boone Hall Plantation is not provided. If you do not have a car, this should be pre -arranged with a cab company or rental car company .
- ------------QUESTIONS ABOUT THE COMBO OF THESE TWO TOURS------------
- How does Combo work?
- When you purchase your tickets for the Combo Tour, your space will be guaranteed on the Harbor Tour for the date and time for which you buy tickets, and your purchase will also entitle you to a voucher good for admission to Boone Hall Plantation. You'll need to pick up a voucher before you attend the Plantation, but you can do that either when you attend your Harbor Tour or with a quick stop at the Harbor Tours office or the Maritime Center any day of the week, regardless of when you go on the Harbor Tour. Once you have the voucher, you can attend the Plantation any day you want, subject to availability. Both the Harbor Tours office and the Maritime Center are in downtown Charleston. All of the exact locations will be provided upon purchase of your tickets.
- Where is the best place to get my Plantation voucher if I plan to visit the Plantation BEFORE my Harbor Tour?
- If you plan to go to the Plantation first (on the same day or any day prior to your Harbor Tour), then you should plan to pick up your voucher either at the Harbor Tours ticket booth at the Charleston Maritime Center. The Maritime Center is located on Wharfside Street (exact location details will be on your e-ticket) and is open from 10am-3:30pm every day.
- What is the difference between the Combo Tour and the regular Charleston Harbor Tour?
- The Plantation Combo Tour includes a ticket for the Charleston Harbor Tour AND also entitles you to admission at Boone Hall Plantation, all for one reduced package price (savings of 15%). After you purchase these combo tickets, you will be guaranteed on the Harbor Tour for the date and time for which you bought tickets. You will also be able to attend the Plantation at any time, subject to availability. Upon arriving at Boone Hall Plantation, guests are admitted on a first-come, first-served basis. (If you decide that the stand alone Harbor Tour is a better fit for you, you can get information and purchase tickets by clicking the "List of All Activities" link on the left side of the page.)
- Do I have to do both tours the same day?
- No, there are no restrictions as to when you take the tour. You can do one tour one day and the other the next, leave several days in between, or when you next return to the Charleston area.
- How far apart are the two meeting locations?
- The two meeting locations are about 10 miles (20 minutes) apart, making it easy to attend both on the same day if you’d like to.
- Do I have to purchase my tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended and tours often sell out in advance. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What type of ticket should I buy for a young child?
- For children ages 4 to 11, you should purchase a reduced price Child ticket. Children ages 3 years and under may attend for free, but you’ll still need to enter the appropriate number of Wee One tickets labeled “Free” when purchasing. All guests, regardless of age, must have a ticket, so please make sure your entire party is accounted for in this way.
- What happens if it rains?
- The Harbor Tours take place rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions. The Carolina Belle has a glassed-in, enclosed observatory and the upper deck is also partially covered, so you'll be able to get great views of the Harbor's famous sights in any weather. The Plantation Tour also operates rain or shine. If the weather is completely unacceptable then a ticket for a different day may be requested. All tickets are nonrefundable.
- Who operates each of the two components of this Combo Tour package?
- The two components are operated by different companies. The Harbor Tour is run by Charleston Harbor Tours, which is the oldest harbor tour company in Charleston, tracing its roots to 1908. Boone Hall Plantation is one of America's oldest working plantations, having been established over 300 years ago. The McRae Family purchased the plantation in 1955 and it was Mrs. McRae who furnished the house with antiques and began giving tours. Tours now include plantation house tours, Slave Street history tour, explanation of the Gullah culture , Plantation Nature Tram Tour, Garden Tour and Butterfly Pavillion tour. (After purchase, you’ll receive the contact information for both companies.)
- Is Boone Hall Plantation handicapped and wheelchair accessible?
- Wheelchair access is very limited due to the nature of the facilities and period architecture.
- Is the Harbor Tour portion of the Combo handicapped and wheelchair accessible?
- The Carolina Belle is Wheelchair friendly, we are able to accommodate guests with wheelchairs for the most part. Entrance to the boat is via a 30-foot ramp, which varies in steepness depending on the tide. If you're able to enter using the ramp, you'll be able to participate in the tour.
- If I am handicapped, should I notify the Charleston Harbor Tour crew before I board the boat?
- Yes. Please ask about the tide and how you will be boarding and disembarking on the day of your tour if you are concerned about this. Our crew will be able to tell you what the tides are like that day, as well as whether or not you will be able to board on and disembark from the same level. They will assist you as much as they can, but if the tides are uncooperative and you feel unable to attend or uncomfortable doing so, then we will gladly reschedule your tour to a different time. Refunds, however, will still not be granted in this situation.
- How do you normally board the vessel? Will we have to use the stairs?
- Normally stairs are not required for boarding or disembarking from the Carolina Belle, we use a ramp to load passengers directly on to the upper deck, where the boat's restrooms are located. Stairs are required to get to the lower level which is enclosed and climate controlled. Please make sure you consult with our staff before boarding if having to use the staircase will pose problems for you.
- Are gift certificates available for the Combo Package?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes! We can accommodate a variety of special requests. For inquiries into private tours, please click “Contact HarborTours”.
- -----QUESTIONS ABOUT THE HARBOR TOUR PORTION OF THE COMBO-----
- Is the Harbor Tour portion of the Combo Package the same as the regular Historic Charleston Harbor Tour?
- Yes! The first part of your Combo Package is the popular Charleston Harbor Tour. This tour is identical to the Harbor Tour that you can also book as a standalone tour.
- Is the viewing equally good on both levels of the vessel?
- Yes, you will have a panoramic view from either level.
- What exactly do we see on the Harbor Tour?
- Some of the sites you'll see and hear about on the Harbor Tour include: the white steeple of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church which was saved from destruction during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars because it was painted black so as not to be an easy target; the stately homes along the Battery - a symbol of Southern elegance and perseverance; the three forts – Moultrie, Sumter, and Johnson that have played a significant role in our history from the Revolution through World War II; Patriot’s Point, the home of the Yorktown, the famous “Fighting Lady” of World War II; and Charleston’s landmark Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge, a new state of the art span that accommodates the largest ships in the world. You can also catch a glimpse of dolphins skimming the surface as they feed or a pelican as he nose dives into the water in search of a tasty tidbit.
- Is the Carolina Belle covered?
- Yes, the Carolina Belle has two decks - A glassed-in “Main Salon,” which is climate-controlled and an “Observation Deck,” each providing spectacular views of Charleston harbor. The Observation Deck is open, however, it does have some roof-covered space.
- Can I buy food or drinks on board?
- There is a snack bar aboard the Carolina Belle that has soda, bottled water, wine, beer, mixed cocktails, chips, hot dogs, burgers, candy bars, cookies, etc. The snack bar excepts cash or charge on board.
- Can I bring my own food or drinks on board the Harbor Tour?
- No, we ask you not to bring any food or drinks on board. You will be able to purchase food and drinks at our snack bar.
- Does the Harbor Tour run year-round?
- No, the public Harbor Tour runs from mid-February through Thanksgiving, with weekend cruises in December. Please check the calendar for the most up-to-date schedule information!
- What should I wear?
- Please dress appropriately for the weather conditions. For the Harbor Tour, please keep in mind that the temperature on the water is significantly lower than on the land, so you may want to bring a sweater in the cooler months.
- Are there any stops along the way on the Harbor Tour?
- No, there are no stops. We will be cruising for the entire tour.
- Is the Harbor Boat Tour safe?
- The Carolina Belle is a safe vessel with a normal operating crew of three or four depending on the number of passengers. She is certified for 300 hundred passengers to cruise the inland waterways, harbors and tributaries by the USCG and meets all the US Coast Guard safety requirements.
- Will I get seasick?
- The Carolina Belle is a steady 85-foot vessel with classic lines. The Charleston Harbor has a mild atmosphere and it is unlikely that you will feel much movement aboard the boat. If you often feel seasick, you may want to consider some light medication before beginning the trip. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is there any narration on the tour?
- Yes, the Harbor Tour is fully narrated.
- Do we see dolphins and other sealife or birdlife?
- During the Harbor Tour we often catch a glimpse of dolphins skimming the surface as they feed or a pelican as he nose dives into the water in search of a tasty tidbit.
- Is parking available near the departure point of the Harbor Tour?
- Yes, a limited amount of free parking is available at the Charleston Maritime Center for Harbor Tour guests. If the lot is full, you may also park at meters or in a City Parking lot nearby, however you must pay for those parking spaces.
- Is there a restroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with clean restrooms.
- Can I stow anything during the cruise?
- We do have limited closet space for wheelchairs and strollers on board. If you have a backpack or other item, we ask that you keep it under your seat. We are not responsible for lost or missing items.
- Where does the Harbor Tour finish?
- The tour finishes in the same place that it departs from, the Charleston Maritime Center, near Calhoun and Concord Streets.
- Is smoking allowed on board the Carolina Belle?
- Smoking is not allowed on the Carolina Belle per the City of Charleston ordinance against smoking in restaurants, bars, and other public areas.
- Are dogs allowed on board the Carolina Belle?
- No, Department of Health regulations prohibit animals on board with the exception of service animals.
- -------QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PLANTATION PORTION OF THE COMBO-----
- What does my voucher for admission to Boone Hall Plantation include?
- Admission includes entry to the live theatrical presentation in the Gullah Theater, Plantation Tram Tour, Slave Street & History Tour, Plantation House tour, self guided Garden Tour and the Butterfly Pavilion ( in-season).
- How do I reserve my spot for the Boone Hall Plantation portion of the combo?
- Your Combo ticket provides you with admission to the Plantation. All guests are admitted to the Plantation on a first-come, first-served basis. Groups of 10 or more need to schedule in advance so that guides are arranged in the proper ratio for the size group. Contact Jennifer at ext. 221. (you will be provided with the contact information for the Plantation after purchasing tickets).
- What are the Plantation’s operating hours?
- The Plantation is open all year round. From Labor Day (the first Monday in September) to March 31, the Plantation is open Monday-Saturday, from 9am-5pm, and on Sundays, from 1pm-4pm. From April 1 to Labor Day, the Plantation is open Monday-Saturday, 8:30am-6:30pm, and on Sundays, from 1pm-5pm. The Plantation is closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- How much time should I allow to tour Boone Hall?
- We suggest that you allow about 2-3 hours. However, it is a large property and to get the most benefit you may wish to spend more time.
- Where is Boone Hall Plantation located?
- Boone Hall is located on Long Point Road in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, about 8 miles from downtown Charleston. The Plantation is about 11 miles (20 minutes) from the Charleston Maritime Center, the meeting location for the Harbor Tour portion of the Combo package. Exact meeting location details will be provided after you purchase tickets.
- What exactly do we do and see at the Plantation?
- You will see multiple sites that will help you understand the day to day activities of those who lived on the plantation as well as the history of the people who lived at Boone Hall. You will have the option to join various Plantation tours that run throughout the day, or you can explore the property on your own.
- What are some of the different tours that are available at the Plantation?
- The Plantation House Tour, the Slave Street & History Tour, Plantation Nature Tram Tour and the self guided Garden Tour run multiple times per day.
- What is the House Tour?
- The House Tour is a 30 minute tour that begins on the front porch and continues through the main floor of the elegant Plantation Home that was built in 1936. It is given by a well informed guide in historical dress. This tour will introduce you to the history of Boone Hall Plantation and its evolution through several owners since 1681.
- What is the Slave Street and History Tour?
- This tour begins at the tip of Slave Street located out in the front of the Plantation Home and is a historical look at the living quarters, historic relics, and lifestyle of the slaves that lived here at Boone Hall.
- What is the Garden Tour?
- This self guided tour informs you about the many various plants, flowers, and trees that are currently growing in the beautiful gardens on the front lawn. One of the main features of the garden are antique roses that are over 100 years old.
- What are the theatrical presentations at Boone Hall?
- Boone Hall Plantation offers live presentations that cannot be found on any other plantations and are part of what helps make Boone Hall unique. These shows are seasonal.
- What is the Plantation Tram Tour?
- This 40 minute tour takes you across the historical grounds, nature trails and agricultural operations of the plantation.
- Can I bring food and drinks to the Plantation?
- Yes, you can also purchase snacks, salads, sandwiches and soft drinks at the cafe.
- Can I store anything at the Plantation?
- No there is no temporary storage lockers or area.
- Are there restrooms at Boone Hall?
- Yes, the bathrooms are well marked and at various locations.
- Is parking available at Boone Hall?
- Yes, there is free parking at the plantation.
- Can I buy food or drinks at the Plantation?
- Yes. Refreshments and a variety of foods are available for sale in the Butterfly Cafe on the property.
- What should I wear to the Plantation?
- Comfortable walking shoes and appropriate clothing for the weather conditions are recommended.
- Is there transportation available to Boone Hall from downtown Charleston?
- Van transportation to Boone Hall, with pickup from a prearranged central Charleston location, IS AVAILABLE FOR AN EXTRA CHARGE. Please click “Contact HarborTours” to inquire further.
- What will I see at Boone Hall?
- You will have several tours available and you do one or all for the all inclusive price. The different tours include; plantation house, Slave Street history , explanation of the Gullah culture, plantation tram tour of the grounds, and a self guided tour of the gardens and entry to the Butterfly Pavilion.
- How long do the individual tours last and at what times?
- * Plantation House tour - every 1/2 hour until 6pm, duration is approximately 30 minutes. * Slave Street history tour - every hour until 4:45pm, duration is 20 minutes. * Explaining the Gullah culture - 11:30 am, 1:30pm, and 3:30 pm duration is 45 minutes. *Plantation coach tour - every 45 minutes until 4;45pm. duration is 45 minutes * Garden and butterfly pavilion - self guided- anytime during the day until 6 pm.
- Is there transportation available to Boone Hall Plantation?
- No, neither Boone Hall nor Charleston Harbor provides transportation from one location to the other. We suggest using Charleston Green Taxi for your transportation needs. They can be reached at 843-819-0846 or online at www.charlestongreentaxi.com.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tobacco Free Event
- Charleston Harbor Tours is proud to be a smoke free / tobacco free environment. Smoking is not permitted on our vessels.
Charleston Harbor Tours
The Carolina Belle is Charleston Harbor Tours’ newest vessel. Featuring graceful, classic lines, the boat is 85 feet long. It can accommodate up to 300 passengers and has a standard operating crew of four.
Boone Hall Plantation has been operating for 320 years and presents a unique insight into historic, "low country" plantation life. Open to the public since 1956, it is one of America's oldest working, living plantations.