We'll have a well appointed gourmet buffet brunch set up by Charleston favorite, Duvall Catering and Event Design, to include local lowcountry favorites like spinach & gruyere baked egg casserole, fresh fruit salad, house made breads and muffins, crispy bacon, seasoned potatoes, classic shrimp salad, served with mixed greens and house made rolls, and delicious, fresh brewed, locally roasted coffee and fresh orange juice ! We'll have live entertainment on the second deck provided by The Rivercity Dixieland Jazz Band.
Formed in Charleston in 1997, The River City Dixieland Jazz Band is a dedicated group of professionals who specialize in the presentation of traditional American jazz, “N’Orleans style”. Historically, Charleston has always shared many characteristics with its Louisiana counterpart. But
now, the Holy City can also say it has that special spirited sound that’s rarely heard anywhere else,… real Dixieland jazz! iver City will provide a unique Charleston experience for all, even families with small children. Hearing and seeing the various instruments in the band always fascinate the kids, and to everyone’s delight, they’ll want to dance to this spirited music that people of all ages find so appealing. Dixieland jazz is a happy, toe-tappin’ kind of music that’s never too loud, fun to dance to and
entertaining even for those who just want to listen.
While aboard the Carolina Queen, you'll get close-up views of the Holy City's most famous and charming sights, including:
- Fort Sumter: One of Charleston's most popular landmarks, where the first shots of the Civil War were fired
- USS Yorktown: the famous World War II “Fighting Lady”
- St. Michael’s Episcopal Church: A surviver of both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, whose steeple was painted black so as not to be an easy target
- Stately homes on the Battery: Symbols of Southern elegance and perseverance
- the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge: A state of the art span that accommodates the largest ships in the world
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended and tours often sell out in advance. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- This event will be family friendly, just purchase a child ticket for children 11 and under.
- What happens if it rains?
- The cruises take place rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions. The Carolina Queen has a glassed-in, enclosed observatory and the second deck is also partially covered, so you'll be able to get great views of the Harbor's famous sights in any weather!
- Is the Carolina Queen covered?
- Yes, the Carolina Queen has 3 decks - A glassed-in “Main Salon”, which is climate controlled, a "Promenade Deck”, which is covered and open on the sides, and an Observation Deck which is open with fixed bench seating around the perimeter. Each provides spectacular views of Charleston harbor. The Observation Deck is open, however, it does have some roof-covered space.
- Can I bring my own food or drinks on board?
- No, we ask you not to bring any food or drinks on board. Our Mother's Day Cruise includes a buffet brunch spread, and we will have a fully stocked cash bar with alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages. We will also have additional snacks available for purchase as well.
- Can I buy food and drinks on board?
- The Mother's Day Riverboat Buffet Cruise includes a buffet brunch spread! However, there will also be a fully stocked cash bar on board with a variety of snacks, cocktails, beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages. We accept cash or charge for payment.
- What should I wear?
- Please dress appropriately for the weather conditions. Keep in mind that the temperature on the water is significantly cooler than on the land, so you may want to bring a sweater in the cooler months.
- Are there any stops along the way?
- No, there are no stops. We will be cruising for the entire tour.
- Is the Boat safe?
- The Carolina Queen is a safe vessel with a normal operating crew of four. She is certified to cruise the inland waterways by the USCG and meets all the US Coast Guard safety requirements.
- Will I get seasick?
- The Carolina Queen is a steady 105-foot vessel with classic lines. The Charleston Harbor has a mild atmosphere and it is unlikely that you will feel much movement aboard the boat. If you often feel seasick, you may want to consider some light medication before beginning the trip. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is the trip wheelchair accessible?
- The Carolina Queen is not ADA compliant, however, we are able to accommodate guests with wheelchairs for the most part. Entrance to the boat is via a 30-foot ramp, which varies in steepness depending on the tide. If you're able to enter using the ramp, you'll be able to participate in the tour.
- Is there any narration on the tour?
- There will be no narration, however, you will entertained by the Rivercity Dixieland Jazz Band This group provides high energy, n'awlins style classic dixieland jazz. Sure to keep your toes tapping and your group entertained!
- What exactly to we see on the cruise?
- Some of the sites you'll see include: the white steeple of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, the stately homes along the Battery, the three forts – Moultrie, Sumter, and Johnson, Patriot’s Point, the home of the Yorktown, the famous “Fighting Lady” of World War II, Charleston’s landmark Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge.
- Do we see dolphins and other sealife or birdlife?
- We often catch a glimpse of dolphins skimming the surface as they feed or a pelican as he nose dives into the water in search of a tasty tidbit.
- Is parking available near the departure point?
- Yes, parking is available at the City Marina parking lot for this cruise. Your ticket fee will include one parking voucher good for up to 4 hours. You will simply need to pick this up from our bar on board. Take a ticket upon entry into the lot and you will given a voucher on the boat to use upon your exit.
- Where does the cruise finish?
- The cruise finishes in the same place from which it departs, the Charleston City Marina, 17 Lockwood Drive, Charleston, SC 29401.
- Is there a restroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a clean restroom.
- Can I stow anything during the cruise?
- We do have limited closet space for wheelchairs and strollers on board. If you have a backpack or other item, we ask that you keep it under your seat. We are not responsible for lost or missing items.
- Are gift certificates available for the trip?
- Yes, gift certificates for Charleston Harbor Tours are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click “Contact HarborTours”.
- Can I book a private trip?
- Yes! We can accommodate a variety of special requests. Please use the "Contact HarborTours" link to inquire further about special group rates.
Charleston Harbor Tours
The company specializes in introducing its guests to the beauty and history of Charleston, the Holy City. Your captain and staff will be eager to make your experience aboard the Carolina Queen a pleasant and enjoyable one.
The Carolina Queen is Charleston Harbor Tours newest vessel featuring 3 decks for entertaining, a working paddewheel, smokestacks, 2 bars and spacious restrooms. The Main Salon is enclosed and climate controlled and the top deck is open to enjoy the lovely Charleston weather and breathtaking views!