The briefcase that is … handcuffed to the wrist of a mysterious stranger as he climbs aboard the Carolina Queen Riverboat. What’s in da case? Nobody’s talking, see. But it must be a treasure of immense worth, unspeakable beauty or awesome power, because everybody seems to want it: The Sheik. The Con Man. The Dame. You! And someone wants it bad enough to … murder.
The cast of clueless comedy actors from The Black Fedora Theatre set sail with you aboard the beautiful Carolina Queen paddleboat for an evening of mystery and laughter as she cruises the historic and peaceful Charleston Harbor. But beware for there are eyes and ears on every deck! No guest is above suspicion, so after you purchase your ticket feel free to dress the part by donning your zoot suit and fedora, swing dress, 1940’s accessories or secret spy garb (from any era).
Then climb aboard for an evening of murder mystery entertainment and close-up views of the Holy City's most famous and charming sights:
While aboard the Carolina Queen being entertained by some of Charleston's finest actors, you'll get close-up views of:
- Fort Sumter: One of Charleston's most popular landmarks, where the first shots of the Civil War were fired
- USS Yorktown: the famous World War II “Fighting Lady”
- St. Michael’s Episcopal Church: A survivor of both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, whose steeple was painted black so as not to be an easy target
- Stately homes on the Battery: Symbols of Southern elegance and perseverance
- The Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge: A state of the art span that accommodates the largest ships in the world
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended and tours often sell out in advance. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- This event will be family friendly, just purchase a child ticket for children 11 and under.
- What happens if it rains?
- The cruises take place rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions. The Carolina Queen has a glassed-in, enclosed observatory and the second deck is also partially covered, so you'll be able to get great views of the Harbor's famous sights in any weather!
- Is the Carolina Queen covered?
- Yes, the Carolina Queen has 3 decks - A glassed-in “Main Salon”, which is climate controlled, a "Promenade Deck”, which is covered and open on the sides, and an Observation Deck which is open with fixed bench seating around the perimeter. Each provides spectacular views of Charleston harbor. The Observation Deck is open, however, it does have some roof-covered space.
- Can I bring my own food or drinks on board?
- No, we ask you not to bring any food or drinks on board. We will have a fully stocked cash bar with alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages. We will have snacks available for purchase as well.
- Can I buy food and drinks on board?
- Yes, there will also be a fully stocked cash bar on board with a variety of snacks, cocktails, beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages. We accept cash or charge for payment.
- What should I wear?
- Please dress appropriately for the weather conditions. Keep in mind that the temperature on the water is significantly cooler than on the land, so you may want to bring a sweater in the cooler months.
- What exactly do we see on the cruise?
- Some of the sites you'll see include: the white steeple of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, the stately homes along the Battery, the three forts – Moultrie, Sumter, and Johnson, Patriot’s Point, the home of the Yorktown, the famous “Fighting Lady” of World War II, Charleston’s landmark Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge.
- Are there any stops along the way?
- No, there are no stops. We will be cruising for the entire tour.
- Is the Boat safe?
- The Carolina Queen is a safe vessel with a normal operating crew of four. She is certified to cruise the inland waterways by the USCG and meets all the US Coast Guard safety requirements.
- Will I get seasick?
- The Carolina Queen is a steady 105-foot vessel with classic lines. The Charleston Harbor has a mild atmosphere and it is unlikely that you will feel much movement aboard the boat. If you often feel seasick, you may want to consider some light medication before beginning the trip. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is the trip wheelchair accessible?
- The Carolina Queen is not ADA compliant, however, we are able to accommodate guests with wheelchairs for the most part. Entrance to the boat is via a 30-foot ramp, which varies in steepness depending on the tide. If you're able to enter using the ramp, you'll be able to participate in the tour.
- Is there any narration on the tour?
- There will be no narration, however, you will entertained by a group of actors as a Murder Mystery scenario unfolds aboard the Cruise.
- Do we see dolphins and other sealife or birdlife?
- We often catch a glimpse of dolphins skimming the surface as they feed or a pelican as he nose dives into the water in search of a tasty tidbit.
- Is parking available near the departure point?
- Yes, parking is available at the Charleston City Marina. If you're parking at City Marina, you must purchase one voucher per car for $7. If you did not purchase a voucher when purchasing your tickets, you can buy one from the bar on board.
- Where does the cruise finish?
- The cruise finishes in the same place from which it departs, Charleston City Marina at 17 Lockwood Drive, Charleston,SC 29401.
- Is there a restroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a clean restroom.
- Can I stow anything during the cruise?
- We do have limited closet space for wheelchairs and strollers on board. If you have a backpack or other item, we ask that you keep it under your seat. We are not responsible for lost or missing items.
- Are gift certificates available for the trip?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Can I book a private trip?
- Yes! We can accommodate a variety of special requests. Please use the "Contact HarborTours" link to inquire further about special group rates.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tobacco Free Event
- Charleston Harbor Tours is proud to be a smoke free / tobacco free environment. Smoking is not permitted on our vessels.
Charleston Harbor Tours
The company specializes in introducing its guests to the beauty and history of Charleston, the Holy City. Your captain and staff will be eager to make your experience aboard the Carolina Queen a pleasant and enjoyable one.
The Carolina Queen is Charleston Harbor Tours newest vessel featuring 3 decks for entertaining, a working paddewheel, smokestacks, 2 bars and spacious restrooms. The Main Salon is enclosed and climate controlled and the top deck is open to enjoy the lovely Charleston weather and breathtaking views!