Each trip is led by an experienced marine biologist and educator. You'll have access to our touch tanks so everyone will experience marine life with hands-on learning. Along the way our guide will point out sea birds, sea turtles, and other wildlife as well as interesting and historic sights.
The Atlantic Star begins our journey in Sunset Lake traveling through the Intercoastal Waterway to Jarvis Sound and out to the Atlantic through the Cape May Inlet, where looking left you see the seven mile beaches of the Wildwoods. As you look to the right, we see the Historic Island of Cape May where you'll witness some of the most historical and spectacular sights including:
- Cape May Harbor - The second largest commercial fishing port on the East coast and home to the USCG's only training center.
- The Sea Mist- A Bed & Breakfast known for its historic "widow's walk."
- Congress Hall - It was once known as "The Summer White House."
- Cape May Point Light House - Newly built in 1859, more than 100 thousand visitors walk the 100 steps to the top of the lighthouse, participating in a century old rite of a visit to the Jersey Shore.
- Sunset Beach - Besides having unusually beautiful sunsets overlooking the water, Sunset Beach has the remains of the concrete ship "Atlantus", Cape May Diamonds, and the summer evening Flag Ceremony.
What Is Not Included?
- There will be a galley on board, so bring extra money with you if you'd like to purchase some snacks or drinks!
- You are not permitted to bring your own food, drink or coolers on board, but juice, coffee and donuts are complimentary.
- Souvenirs and various items will also be available for purchase, from teeshirts, jewelry, toys, hats and sweatshirts to disposable cameras, field guides, lip balm and sunblock.
- What wildlife have you been seeing?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- We recommend you purchase your tickets in advance in order to guarantee your spots on board because our trips do often sell out. Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone with either a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Book early to have the best shot at the day/time you prefer!
- What happens if it rains?
- We go rain or shine. In the event of severe weather that would result in the cancellation of the trip, you would be welcome to reschedule or receive a voucher for a future event.
- Do you guarantee dolphin sightings?
- Yes, we guarantee a marine mammal (dolphin or a whale) sighting on each trip. If you do not see a marine mammal, you get another trip for free!
- Is this trip appropriate for children under 6 years old?
- Yes, children of all ages enjoy our trips. Children have a reduced price, but all children must have a ticket in order to attend the cruise. Note that the first child under 6 with an accompanying adult is free, but all other children must purchase a reduced price ticket.
- Tell me more about the Atlantic Star.
- The 100 foot Atlantic Star holds up to 170 passengers and features state of the art technology, a large sun deck with seating on the upper deck, and amenities such as an enclosed cabin and separate restrooms for ladies and gentlemen.
- Do you have life jackets on board?
- Yes, we are US Coast Guard regulated. We have well over 200 life jackets on board. However, you are not required to wear one on our vessel due to its size.
- Can I bring a cooler on board?
- No, coolers are not permitted on the Atlantic Star. We do have a full galley with snacks, soda, bottled water, beer and wine on board, so bring extra money with you!
- Are there bathrooms on the boat?
- Yes, we have both a women's and men's bathroom on board for your convenience.
- What is the best time to see dolphins?
- We see dolphins from April to October daily about 98% of the time.
- Will the boat be stopping?
- The trip is continuous; however, we do pause to watch the dolphins and other marine life.
- Is the trip wheelchair accessible?
- Usually manual wheelchairs are no problem and can be lifted on board. Electric wheelchairs, on the other hand, may not be able to fit on board. If you need more information, please click “Contact JJCBoats” and let us know details about your particular situation.
- Can I take a stroller on board?
- Yes, strollers are welcome on board.
- Is the cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- Yes, the cruise is suitable for pregnant women. Our boat is large so movement is minimal!
- How far is Wildwood from Cape May?
- Wildwood is a 15-20 minute drive from Cape May. When coming from Cape May, you will need to allow a few extra minutes for occasional drawbridge openings.
- What else is there to do around the meeting spot?
- There is a fresh seafood market and take out called Little Kurtz located at the dock.
- Is there a better time of day to see the dolphins?
- No, we see them all day long.
- How close can we get to the dolphins? Can we swim with them?
- We get within 10 feet of the dolphins, and unfortunately you are not permitted to swim with the dolphins.
- How far from the coast will the boat go?
- You will see land the entire trip. This trip stays inshore.
- Is seasickness an issue? What do you recommend?
- Seasickness is only an issue if you are susceptible to motion sickness. We recommend using "seabands." We have seabands as well as dramamine at the dock for purchase if you are particularly prone to motion sickness.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes, we have an inside cabin that will protect you from the elements if need be.
- Can I smoke on the boats?
- No, we don't permit smoking.
- Can I bring my own food and drinks? What about alcohol?
- Unfortunately you are not permitted to bring your own food and drinks on board. However, we do have a full galley on board, and coffee, juice (apple), and donuts are included on this trip. Bring extra money with you if you want to purchase additional snacks/drinks at the galley (cash only). We do not allow alcohol of any kind on the boat.
- What kinds of food and drinks are available on board? Is anything included in the ticket price?
- The galley on board will offer candy, ice cream, chips, snacks, hot dogs, pizza, bottled water and soda, beer and wine (ranging from $2 - $5, cash only). Remember that this trip includes complimentary apple juice, coffee and assorted donuts!
- Will there be souvenirs available for purchase?
- Yes -- we sell teeshirts, jewelry, toys, hats, and sweatshirts on board. There will also be various items for sale including disposable cameras, field guides, lip balm and sunblock.
- How much should I tip the crew?
- They do work on tips, so feel free to tip the crew much like you would a server in a restaurant.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes. If you're interested in a gift certificate, please click “Contact JJCBoats” and let us know what you would like!
- Are there group rates available?
- Yes, groups of 15 or more will get an automatic discount of $5 per ticket. Just click to purchase tickets and receive your automatic price reduction!
- Do you offer group charters?
- Yes, we do offer private charters for all special occasions! If you're interested in a private group charter, please click “Contact JJCBoats” to let us know what you're interested in. Someone from our staff will contact you shortly.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must have a ticket in order to attend.
- All participants, regardless of age, must have a ticket in order to attend. Only one free child age 5 or under may attend per accompanying adult, and each additional child age 5 or under must have a reduced price ($10) ticket.
The Starlight Fleet has been offering South Jersey extraordinary dolphin and whale watching as well as the Sunset Buffet Dinner Cruise for 27 years. You can experience those tours on our 100 foot, air conditioned Atlantic Star!