Join KC Barbecue Tours on this guided bus tour as we travel through the city sampling barbecue from well known barbecue establishments and "hidden gem" barbecue joints.
On our 4-hour food tour we will visit 4 different barbecue restaurants. From brisket to burnt ends, every guest will enjoy a portion of each restaurants best smoked meats and side dishes.
Not only will every guest have the opportunity to taste some of the world's best barbecue, but they will also be given a behind-the-scenes look at how barbecue is prepped, smoked and served.
What's Included in the price?
- All tastings - Each restauarant will offer a meat and side dish to every guest.
- Transportation - We will provide transportation from restaurant to restaurant.
- Gratuities - We will be responsible for all restaurant gratuities.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages other than water - you are welcome to purchase anything you prefer to drink other than water.
- Tour guide tips - we work to the bones so you can enjoy the meat on the bones. A little tip is always nice.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Great History and amazing barbique.
|Amandahoegh||Sat, Oct 25 11:00 AM||Male||30-39||Combination||Couple on a Date|
We really enjoyed how many different BBQ favors we got to try. We did get to try ribs everywhere, but everyone was different from taste to texture. We really liked how they BBQ sauage to turkey to chicken to beef. We are now fans of different favors of BBQ sauces. We really enjoyed the different BBQ atmospheres and how different each place is. We had a great and filling time. thank you.
Best way to eat BBQ in Kansas City
|victoria03||Sat, Oct 25 11:00 AM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Travelled from Canada to Kansas City for the weekend. Went on the BBQ tour which was awesome. Little bit of history throughout the trip made it a great way to see the city and we got to eat at places that were we'll known to the locals or places that had international recognition. If your looking to do sonethig different and memorable I suggest doing this tour!
The tour was great.
|Jgamroth||Sat, Oct 25 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The food was great. The tour guide was great. The history of Kansas City and how BBQ was started was very interesting.
|Kathiclaire||Sat, Oct 18 11:00 AM||Female||60-69||Unspecified||Unspecified|
This was a fun tour of Kansas City barbecue! First, you get an amazing amount of good food! There is always a competition between Gates and Arthur Bryant's, but my favorite was LC's...and I would never have known about it without this tour. Our guide shared lots of info about the history of barbecue in KC as well as other information about the city. All in all, I highly recommend this tour!
Best BBQ Tour!!
|sgables||Fri, Oct 17 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
This tour is great, I would recommend going on the first days of of your trip to Kansas City. In case you want to go back for more before leaving town. Going to some of these BBQ places can be a little intimidating, the tour eliminates all concern. We really enjoyed the whole experience and learning about the history of BBQ as well. You get a good variety of BBQ and different sides, it's a good amount of food. Well worth the money!
A great activity!
|mellamellow||Fri, Oct 17 11:00 AM||Female||Unspecified||Combination||Other|
Enjoyed every bit of this tour. All the food was excellent and a great chance to try specialties from several different restaurants. Also liked that other history of the Kansas City area was highlighted.
|bradenkeith||Fri, Oct 17 11:00 AM||Male||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
It's like the entire history of Kansas City, seen through the eyes of the barbecue. It's not just about the barbecue, it's about HOW the barbecue scene wound up where it's at. I won't ruin the surprises, but the complexity of the story is just incredible. And, I mean, the barbecue was fantastic, as one would expect. I would take this tour again. You get full, but not as overwhelmingly, gut-burstingly full as you might expect. Just perfectly full. The whole tour is so well-conceived and well-planned, it's unbelievable.
fun and well organized
|Bruce666||Sat, Oct 11 11:00 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
great way to experience some neighborhoods, some history, and of course barbeque. we had a great timeriding around the barbeque van (named riblet) listening to great, the jazz. wouldn't hesitate to do this again... Highly recommended
|allenstanley||Sat, Oct 11 11:00 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Had a great time, lots of fun. Great Variety of BBO's and learned history of each location.
|Tim4511||Sat, Oct 4 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||Combination||Group of Friends|
Great way to taste and see different BBQ places in KC. Bethanie was very knowledgeable and fun! I highly recommend this for anyone who likes BBQ!
- Do tickets have to be purchased in advance?
- Yes. Tours often fill up quickly, so it would be in your best interest to purchase tickets in advance to guarantee your desired tour date. You can buy tickets through Zerve with a Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- What if it rains?
- You're in luck! Our tours will run rain or shine. We'll be indoors, on the bus or in restaurant tasting locations, during most of the tour, so rain should not be an issue. However, if rain is expected in the forecast, please bring an umbrella.
- Is this tour family friendly? Can I bring my child?
- Of course! KC Barbecue Tours is family owned and definitely family friendly. Please keep in mind, all tour attendees must have a full-priced ticket, regardless of age, because they will be taking up a seat on the bus.
- Can I bring an infant on the tour?
- If a child is age 3 or younger and will be sitting on your lap during the entire tour, you do not need to purchase a ticket for them. Storage for strollers will be available on the bus. If they will be requiring a seat, however, you will need to purchase a full price ticket.
- How much food is provided on the tour?
- Each restaurant will provide a generous sample of their best barbecue meat and side dish. Most guests will leave full.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a tour is sold out, please check our calendar for availability of other dates.
- How many barbecue restaurants will we visit?
- While we are partnered with various restaurants, each tour will visit 4 barbecue restaurants.
- Will I know in advance which restaurants we will be visiting?
- While the barbecue restaurants we’ll be visiting is determined in advance, what would be the fun in knowing all the barbecue secrets ahead of time. We will be visiting 4 restaurants that range from well-known establishments to hidden gems. Please note that restaurants are subject to change from time to time.
- What if I'm a vegetarian?
- Please keep in mind that our barbecue tour is geared for people who love BBQ dishes and most of our tastings will contain a meat ingredient. We will try our best to accommodate with alternative side dishes, however, there will be limited vegetarian options to choose from and we will need to know ahead of time. If you would still like to purchase a ticket, please email us by clicking on "Contact KCBBQTours" to the left of the page with details about your restrictions and the date you were interested in attending the tour.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- If you have dietary restrictions or a food allergy, we ask that you please notify us when purchasing your tickets. We want everyone to be able to enjoy this tour and are willing to work with each customer. Please understand though that this tour does involve the option to sample meat and various side dishes. We are not in control of how food is prepared and cooked at each restaurant, but are willing to help find options for any guest with dietary restrictions.
- Are drinks provided?
- Water will be provided at each restaurant. You are free to purchase other beverages at any restaurant, if you prefer.
- What do I need to bring?
- We recommend bringing your appetite and a camera to catch a few memories! You are also more than welcome to bring your own bottle of water for the ride and extra money should you wish to purchase a beverage (other than water) or any merchandise.
- I'm from Kansas City, does this tour have anything to offer me?
- Definitely, you'll be able to learn more about the local establishments, the food you are eating, meet tourists and locals and eat delicious food!
- How long is the tour?
- The tour will be approximately 3.5-4 hours depending on the size of the group.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at select food-tasting locations.
- How big is a tour group?
- Each tour can accommodate a maximum of 16 guests.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Unfortunately, we are currently not wheelchair accessible. However, we are more than happy to assist any person aboard the bus.
- Does the tour begin and end at the same location?
- Yes, the bus will drop you back off at the meeting location.
- What should I wear?
- Please wear weather appropriate clothing and comfortable shoes for getting on and off the bus.
- Is there parking available near the meeting location?
- Yes, there is a parking lot located next to our meeting location. Exact meeting location and parking details will be provided immediately upon purchase of your tickets.
- Are pets allowed on the tour?
- We love pets, unfortunately, due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Are gift certificates available for purchase?
- At this time, we are currently not offering Gift Certificates.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Of course! To discuss private tour details, click "Contact KCBBQTours" to the left of the page to send Kansas City Barbecue Tours an email. Please include the date preferred and number of people your party. A member of our staff will respond with payment information and further instructions.
KC Barbecue Tours
KC Barbecue Tours simply began with married couple, Karl and Bethanie Schemel’s, years of love for Kansas City barbecue. Born and raised in Chicago, where he worked on his father's boat guided tour business, Karl moved to Kansas City in 1998 to attend college. That was when his taste for barbecue began. Raised in Wichita, KS and with family ties to Kansas City, Bethanie has been enjoying Kansas City barbecue since she was very young.
After years of sampling the various Kansas City barbecue options the couple realized that their pasts could unite to provide a bus guided food tour of the best barbecue in the world. Karl and Bethanie’s hope is that each guest will leave the tour with the same love and appreciation for Kansas City barbecue that they have.