Our 3.5 hour tour includes up to 9 stops at the best restaurants and shops. You’ll eat unique dishes made from locally-sourced produce & taste locally-made wines. As part of our “foodie family” you’ll get up close w/ chefs, owners, and winemakers. Hear about the unique terrior & climate that puts Murphys wines in a class all by themselves. You will connect with the artisans as you taste their unique creations. The shopping opportunities are boundless. Ticket price includes personal shopping bag for your goodies!
Though subject to change, typical tastings on our tour include:
- Organic potato, herb and cheese focaccia round
- Meso ispod saca lamb meatballs
- Anchovy stuffed deep fried green olives
- Homemade empanada w/ local IPA beer tasting
- Gourmet sea salt tasting
- Almond Cake with Salted Rose Buttercream Cupcake
- Cabernet Sauvignon pairing
What Is Not Included?
- All Tastings Are Included In The Price. Enough food is served that for most participants, lunch afterwards is not needed.
- Tour Guide Gratuity is not including in the ticket price. If you feel your guide did a great job, tips are greatly appreicated for their service but not mandatory. (Service industry rate is 15% to 18% - average $8 to $10 per ticket.)
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Yes, advance ticket purchase is required. Tours typically sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the date, time, and number of tickets you prefer, please book well in advance. CASH is not accepted. To purchase tickets by phone please call our home office at: 1-800-979-3370
- My food tour ticket includes what?
- The Murphys Food & Wine Tour includes all food and drink tastings from 9 stops, a Local Roots Food Tours Tasting Guide and a trained food tour concierge leading the tour route. The tour ticket DOES NOT INCLUDE gratuity for your trained guide. Tips are not mandatory but greatly appreciated if you feel your guide did a great job.
- Do you allow refunds if I can’t make the tour?
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed on the tour. Our tours often sell out. No partial credits or rescheduling is allowed for partial attendance, no shows, or late arrivals. It is your responsibility to show up at the right location, on time. The tours depart promptly at scheduled tour time.
- Do I still come if it is pouring down rain outside?
- Due to our dynamic climate, weather can suddenly impact our ability to hold a tour. We will continue a tour in light precipitation, however, if conditions are too poor to hold a tour, the owner will notify participants of cancellation and opportunity to reschedule.
- Do you offer price breaks for children, seniors or special groups?
- Yes we do. When purchasing your tickets, you will see that we offer a few different reduced priced tickets. We support and are very grateful for all the men and women who serve our country. As a token of our appreciation we offer all active duty and reservist military members a discount on their food tour ticket. We offer children and senior discounts as well.
- When is a child required to have a purchased ticket on your tour?
- a. If your child is 7 years of age or older, you will need to purchase a discounted ticket for him or her, regardless of whether or not he or she will be participating in the tastings. Children younger than 7 who are able to walk may not fare well on a 3.5 hour, 1.5 mile walking tour. Please use your discretion when bringing a young child on the tour. We love babies and if your child will remain in your arms or stroller/front pack during the tour, they are not required to have a ticket. We might want to pinch a cheek or two, however!
- Can one be too young or too old to participate in a tour?
- Children are welcome on our Murphys Food & Wine Tours, but please bear in mind that some children have a limited attention span and therefore a 3 1/2 hour tour may not be appropriate for them. Parents know their children best and should assess the situation individually. Since there is a lot of standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tours are appropriate for your child. If your child is under the age of 7 and will not be eating, you will not need to purchase a ticket for him or her. If your child is 7 years of age or older, you will need to purchase a discounted ticket for him or her, regardless of whether or not he or she will be eating. Also, the tours require a certain level of physical stamina. We walk nearly 1.5 miles at a leisurely pace in Murphys. The tour route is flat with one incline hill with not much of a grade in steepness.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- Our Murphys Food & Wine Tour is is a little over 1.5 miles. We do offer sitting at the majority of our food stops on each tour route. Tour route does have uneven sidewalks with steps involved. We can reduce the distance in our tour routes upon private group requests. Public tours are only offered for the 1.5 mile tour route, no exceptions. If you just had knee replacement surgery or suffered a foot injury you might hold off coming on our walking food tours and look to join us on one of our culinary farm bus tours where walking is minimized.
- Do I have to be an athlete to complete your walking tour route?
- No! You should be able to walk a total of 1.5 miles at a leisurely pace. Our frequent stops allow time to sit while enjoying the food.
- Is the tour route wheelchair and stroller friendly?
- No. Our Murphys Food & Wine Tour is not wheelchair or stroller accessible due to the uneven terrain we walk on. If private group tour requests a shorter walking route with accommodations for wheelchair access, LRFT will try to make an exception. To request a private tour, please click "Contact LocalRoots" to the left of the page. However, no public tours will allow deviated route plan.
- Where does the tour finish?
- We understand our tour participants walk approximately 1.5 miles on our tour routes so we try to end each of our tours only several blocks away from the starting point of the tour. Murphys is a condensed town with the majority of shops and restaurants all on Main Street. Our ending point is approximately 2 blocks from our starting point and parking.
- How do I know what restaurants will be on the tour?
- You bought a ticket for a food tour adventure....at the beginning of each tour we give each food tour participant the listing of what restaurants will be on that day's tour route. We pride ourselves in choosing food stops that focus on fresh local ingredients; many known locally as a farm to table establishment. You will never find a food chain type of restaurant on our tour routes...we promise!
- Do we tip each restaurant that we stop at? How about our tour guide?
- Gratuities at our restaurant stops are included with your ticket price. Our tour guides greatly appreciate gratuities given for excellent service. The standard tip amount in the service industry is 15% to 18%; however this is optional. Typical tip amount is $8 to $10 per person.
- What types of food can I expect on the tour?
- On all of tours you will be tasting fresh, local-ingredient signature dishes made especially for our tour groups. We try to map out different types of tastings; one savory, one spicy, one sweet….so that your palate will be experiencing a whole gastronomic experience…you can think of the tour as a progressive dining experience. Our beverage selection could be a fresh fruit infused drink, a locally brewed ale, wine from a local vineyard or just refreshing ice water. For specific details on what is sampled, visit our tour-specific pages. Please note: Food tastings are subject to change without notice.
- Is alcohol served on the tour?
- Yes. Murphys is well established as a wine mecca of Northern California. We wouldn't want you to miss out. Our tour route will offer you 2 different wine tastings and a beer tasting. If you are a non-alcoholic drinker or under aged, we will make accommodations to offer you a substitute if we know in advance of your wishes. Ice water is provided at our sit down stops on every tour we offer.
- Is it common to eat a meal prior to arriving?
- One of our mottos is, “Come Hungry!” On our Murphys Food & Wine Tour your ticket price offers you 9 tastings of generous samples along the way. We don’t want you to walk away feeling stuffed, merely pleasurably satisfied. A light breakfast should hold you over until the food tour launches and our eating fun begins!
- Are the samples similar to the size of a grocery store sample (small)?
- We take pride in our sample sizes on our tours. We feel it sets us apart from other food tour offerings. You won’t find 1 oz. souffle cups or a sample so small you are not sure what you just put in your mouth! Our chefs are passionate about what they make for our tour groups and if anything, we have to keep telling them to cut back on the amount they share with our participants! You will typically find 3 to 4 oz. portion size samples.
- Will there be bathroom break opportunities?
- Yes, bathrooms are available throughout our tour routes and our guides allow time for breaks as needed.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- For all tours, please be sure and let us know if you (or anyone in your group) has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, nut allergy, lactose intolerant, etc.) or is pregnant (e.g. can’t drink alcohol, not comfortable with cheese or seafood, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. We provide a pre-arrival questionnaire after your ticket purchase to let us know what dietary restrictions you have. We will do our best to accommodate your needs. We can substitute age-appropriate non-alcoholic beverages, and accommodate vegetarians. We do not offer special tastings for Vegans, gluten free or lactose free dietary restrictions.
- How will I keep hydrated on the tour?
- Since we walk approximately 1.5 miles on our Murphys tour, hydration is important. The majority of our sit down food stops will offer ice water to each participant. We recommend bringing along a water bottle so you can quench your thirst during route……mouths can get pretty dry with all the talking and laughing!
- Are there vegetarian options on the tour?
- Yes, there are vegetarian options served on each of our different tours. As long as we know well in advance we can notify the chef to prepare a vegetarian tasting. Please specify if you will eat seafood. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is difficult for us to adjust in time to accommodate your dietary needs.
- Do you ever change the food sample selection on your tours?
- In order for our restaurants and shops to serve fresh ingredient menus, the dishes change seasonally and sometimes week to week. We leave the selection up to our partnering chefs. Repeat customers can come on our tours again and again and not have the same item twice!
- Do we do anything else but eat on the food tour?
- Our agenda is simple but strictly enforced: EAT, WALK, TALK. We repeat the process until we have finished our route. You will not only taste locally made foods and beverages that will awaken your palate, but you will also learn about our locale with some fascinating history, cultural trivia and beautiful architecture in our historical neighborhood districts. We even surprise our locals with hidden spots and stories even they didn’t know about!
- Do the tours have anything to offer a native to Calaveras County?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right in the heart of Calaveras County. Locals often join us to learn about the great historical landmarks that have been under their noses the entire time! Enjoy getting up close and personal with chefs and artisan shop owners. This tour is a fantastic way to rediscover your own county and state!
- Can we bring our pet Fido with us?
- Sorry, Fido will have to stay home on this walking food tour. We do visit some wonderful dog friendly restaurants for your future return. Our policy is no pets of any kind on any type of tour we offer.
- Would I be bored if I took another one of your food tours?
- Each of the tours we offer are special and different in many aspects; not just the food, but the historical perspectives, architecture, and culture all vary widely from tour to tour. We cater to repeat customers who want multiple tour choices, each with its own distinct theme and personality.
- How do I dress for a food tour?
- The words are casual and comfortable. Please wear shoes that will be comfortable to walk in, so you can enjoy your food! Jeans and sneakers are just fine. You will be outside for most of the tour, so you may want to bring a jacket or sweater. Be prepared for incremental winter weather in Northern California - rain and Delta breezes may be in the forecast so be ready!
- Where would I park if I were coming by car?
- Our meeting location in Murphys Community Park has several free public parking options all within walking distance of the park. Once your food tour ticketing is purchased you will receive a confirmation email, with the exact parking options and their locations.
- Can I take photos to capture my food tour experience? How about video?
- Yes! We encourage participants to take photos during the tour and our guides love to be included in group photos (our local chefs as well!). Posting your photos instantaneously on to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram is highly encouraged! Video recording of more than a few short segments of the tour is not permitted. If you plan to record part of a tour on video, kindly notify the tour guide in advance. Voice recording of tour guide on entire route is strictly prohibited.
- Do you allow tweeting and sharing on Facebook during the tour?
- Yes – we encourage it! We are all about social networking and love it when we have live-action tweeting and posting going on. Many fans post photos of the food and people they are interacting with as it happens. Like us on our Facebook page and post away!
- Are private tours an option? How do I book a private group tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. We offer many different types of private tour options, depending on your group’s needs. Please click "Contact LocalRoots" to the left of the page to inquire about setting up a private tour. We recommend booking your private group tour well in advance to make sure the date you are requesting is available.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, Local Roots Food Tours does offer Gift Certificates. Gift Certificates make wonderful appreciation, birthday, anniversary and “just because” gifts. They are unique and very tasteful if we don’t mind saying so ourselves! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
Local Roots Food Tours
Local Roots Food Tours has been featured in SacTown Magazine, Sacramento Magazine, Group Tours, and many more publications.
Local Roots Food Tours proudly offers our award winning food, wine and cultural walking tours through historic neighborhoods in Sacramento (Farm to Fork Capital of America) and quaint mining towns in the Sierra Foothills. We take our participants on a culinary adventure to meet farmers, chefs, mom and pop eateries and artisan shop owners. Keeping it local is our vision.
The staff at Local Roots Food Tours is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Our goal is for each participant to SAVOR the food we share on all our tours, LEARN about the city's roots and where ingredients are locally sourced, EXPLORE those "unbeaten paths" along the way and most importantly CONNECT to the community we are journeying through on one of our 3.5 hour tours.