Exploring Northern California's hills and valleys by bus is only the beginning. We take participants right to the source of our local food chain: the farms and vineyards. Our bus goes behind the gates and beyond the tractors to meet local farmers & vintners. Learn where their farm story began, how they see our local agriculture growing, and their role as a provider to our local communities and restaurants. Our Sierra Foothill Farm & Wine Tour focuses on the Placer County area.
Though subject to change, you can expect:
- Transportation from a central meeting location in our 14 passenger executive bus
- A 4 hour bus tour with 5 to 6 different stops
- A trained local guide ready to showcase farms, orchards, & vineyards
- An opportunity to shop at each stop
- A catered, 4 course gourmet lunch
- Local Roots Food Tours reusable shopping bag
This tour is fully guided by our locally trained hosts who will delight you with stories and fun facts about the region. Each participant will be treated to a gourmet lunch, along with complimentary beverages.
What Is Not Included?
- All Farm and Wine Tastings Are Included In The Price. Each stop will offer small samples for each participant.
- Shopping: The tour allows for shopping opportunities, though shopping expenses are not included with your ticket.
- Gourmet Lunch: Lunch will include sandwich, salad, condiments, dessert and beverage. For additional cost, lunch can be catered to the group's needs.
- Bus Driver and Tour Guide Gratuity is not included in the ticket price. If you feel your bus driver and/or tour guide did a great job, tips are greatly appreciated for their service, but not mandatory.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Yes, advance ticket purchase is required. Tours typically sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the date, time, and number of tickets you prefer, please book well in advance. CASH is not accepted. To purchase tickets by phone please call our ticketing office at: 1-800-979-3370
- What does my bus tour ticket include?
- The Farm & Winery Bus Tour includes all food and drink tastings from 6 stops, a Local Roots Food Tours Farm & Wine Guide, and a personal reusable market bag. The tour ticket DOES NOT INCLUDE gratuity for your trained guide or bus driver. Tips are not mandatory but greatly appreciated if you feel your guide and driver did a great job.
- Do you allow refunds if I can’t make the tour?
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed on the tour. Our tours often sell out. No partial credits or rescheduling is allowed for partial attendance, no shows, or late arrivals. It is your responsibility to show up at the right location, on time. The tours depart promptly at scheduled tour time.
- Do I still come if it is pouring down rain outside?
- Due to our dynamic climate, weather can suddenly impact our ability to hold a tour. We will continue a tour in light precipitation, however, if conditions are too poor to hold a tour, the owner will notify participants of cancellation and give them the opportunity to reschedule.
- Do you offer price breaks for children, seniors or special groups?
- Yes we do. When purchasing your tickets, you will see that we offer a few different reduced priced tickets. We support and are very grateful for all the men and women who serve our country. As a token of our appreciation we offer all active duty and reservist military members a discount on their food tour ticket. We offer children and senior discounts as well.
- When is a child required to have a purchased ticket on your tour?
- Due to this tour being a bus tour and every seat needs to be paid for, we require every participant to possess a ticket. California law states every passenger must have a seat on our passenger bus for safety requirements; therefore, we can not allow any passenger to sit on the lap of another for the duration of the bus tour. If you are bringing your infant (birth to 12 months old) along and they can be safely held in your arms during travel, we do not require a ticket; however, if you are planning on traveling with baby in car seat, they will need a ticket. If you are bringing a child between the ages of 1-7, please click "Contact LocalRoots" to the left of the page, and we will quote you a discounted ticket price that will not include any food tastings.
- Can one be too young or too old to participate in a tour?
- Children are welcome on the tours, but please bear in mind that some children have a limited attention span and therefore a 4 hour tour may not be appropriate for them. Parents know their children best and should assess the situation individually. Since there is a lot of standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tours are appropriate for your child. One can never be too old; however, you know your abilities than we do. There is not wheelchair accessibility for our bus. We will be taking the participants on uneven grounds and up and down hills walking on the tour so please evaluate your abilities prior to purchasing a ticket.
- How much walking is involved?
- Our farm tours take participants out on the farms to walk around and potentially go on orchard and vineyard walking tours at our selected farms. There will be plenty of time to sit and rest your feet on the tour route.
- Is the tour route wheelchair and stroller friendly?
- Our tour bus is not wheelchair accessible. Our farm tours take participants on uneven ground....not to mention muddy during the winter months. Wheelchairs and strollers would be very difficult to maneuver.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour bus driver will be taking all participants back to the original starting point location on all farm tours.
- How do I know what farms and vineyards will be on the tour?
- You bought a ticket for a food tour adventure....at the beginning of the tour we give each food tour participant the listing of what farms and vineyard will be on that day's tour route.
- Do we tip each tasting that we stop at? How about our tour guide?
- Our tour bus driver as well as trained tour guide are not included in your ticketing price. Though gratuity is not mandatory, if you feel your driver and guide did a great job on the tour, they greatly accept tips at the end of the tour route. The standard tip amount in the service industry is 15% to 18%; however this is optional. Typical tip amount is $8 to $10 per person.
- Will there be food on this tour?
- Yes. Each farm tour will be offering samples from each farm we stop at. Could be samples of fruit, produce or a condiment. A 4 course lunch is included in the ticket price along with wine tasting at a local vineyard. We can accommodate vegetarians; however gluten free and vegan diets we do not offer special lunches. Enough food will be offered for a nice lunch. Please eat breakfast prior to participating on our tour.
- Is alcohol served on the tour?
- Yes. Part of our farm tour route is to visit one to two local vineyards and experience their wine tasting line up. For those who are non alcohol drinkers; we will be providing ice water, tea and juice as secondary options.
- Is it common to eat a meal prior to arriving?
- One of our mottos is, “Come Hungry!” Each one of our tours includes food samples along with a gourmet lunch and beverages. We don’t want you to walk away feeling stuffed, merely pleasurably satisfied. We recommend eating breakfast prior to coming.
- Will there be bathroom break opportunities?
- Yes, bathrooms are available throughout our tour routes and our guides allow time for breaks as needed.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- For all tours, please be sure and let us know if you (or anyone in your group) has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, nut allergy, lactose intolerant, etc.) or is pregnant (e.g. can’t drink alcohol, not comfortable with cheese or seafood, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. We provide a pre-arrival questionnaire after your ticket purchase to let us know what dietary restrictions you have. We will do our best to accommodate your needs. We can substitute age-appropriate non-alcoholic beverages, and accommodate vegetarians. We do not offer special tastings for Vegans, gluten free or lactose free dietary restrictions.
- How will I keep hydrated on the tour?
- Part of your ticket price includes unlimited beverages; water, tea and juice on the tour bus. We suggest you bring your own thermos of hot coffee/tea or any other type of beverage if you would like something different.
- Are there vegetarian options on the tour?
- Yes, there are vegetarian options served on each of our different tours. As long as we know well in advance we can notify the chef to prepare a vegetarian tasting. Please specify if you will eat seafood. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is difficult for us to adjust in time to accommodate your dietary needs.
- Can we bring our pet Fido with us?
- Sorry, Fido will have to stay home on this bus farm tour. rn. Our policy is no pets of any kind on any type of tour we offer.
- How do I dress for a farm and wine tour?
- The words are casual and comfortable. Please wear shoes that will be comfortable to walk in, so you can enjoy your food! Many farms could be muddy and wet during the rainy season so you might consider bringing an extra pair of shoes and a plastic bag for your muddy ones at the end of the tour. You will be outside for most of the tour, so you may want to bring a jacket or sweater. Be prepared for incremental winter weather in Northern California - rain and Delta breezes may be in the forecast so be ready!
- Can I take photos to capture my farm tour experience? How about video?
- Yes! We encourage participants to take photos during the tour and our guides love to be included in a group photo (our local chefs as well!). Posting your photos instantaneously is highly encouraged onto Twitter, Facebook and Instagram! Video recording of more than a few short segments of the tour is not permitted. If you plan to record part of a tour on video, kindly notify the tour guide in advance. Voice recording of tour guide on entire route is strictly prohibited.
- Do you allow tweeting and sharing on Facebook during the tour?
- Yes – we encourage it! We are all about social networking and love it when we have live-action tweeting and posting going on. Many fans post photos of the food and people they are interacting with as it happens. Like us on our Facebook page and post away!
- Do you offer any overnight tours with your bus?
- Yes. We can accommodate most any idea for a quoted price. We definitely can customize a food tour overnight trip visiting other areas of Northern California. Please click "Contact LocalRoots" to the left to coordinate with our Special Tours Coordinator.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, Local Roots Food Tours does offer Gift Certificates. Gift Certificates make wonderful appreciation, birthday, anniversary and “just because” gifts. They are unique and very tasteful if we don’t mind saying so ourselves! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Are private bus tours an option? How do I book a private group tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. We offer many different types of private tour options, depending on your group’s needs. Please click "Contact LocalRoots" to the left of the page to inquire about setting up a private bus tour. We recommend booking your private group tour well in advance to make sure the date you are requesting is available. We are limited to 16 passengers per bus but we can make arrange for additional means for transportation as well. Please inquire at hour home office.
Local Roots Food Tours
Local Roots Food Tours has been featured in SacTown Magazine, Sacramento Magazine, Group Tours, and many more publications.
Local Roots Food Tours proudly offers our award winning food, wine and cultural walking tours through historic neighborhoods in Sacramento (Farm to Fork Capital of America) and quaint mining towns in the Sierra Foothills. We take our participants on a culinary adventure to meet farmers, chefs, mom and pop eateries and artisan shop owners. Keeping it local is our vision.
The staff at Local Roots Food Tours is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Our goal is for each participant to SAVOR the food we share on all our tours, LEARN about the city's roots and where ingredients are locally sourced, EXPLORE those "unbeaten paths" along the way and most importantly CONNECT to the community we are journeying through on one of our 3.5 hour tours.