The Saturday tour dates feature our "original" RED route. Due to high demand, we have created a "secondary" GREEN route. Anyone is welcome on either route, but please know that the "original" route on Saturdays visit the same locations year after year. If you are a repeat Bakery tour attendee and want to visit new bakeries, you'll want to select a Sunday tour date!
The 3-hour bus tour departs from downtown Milwaukee and feature stops at bakeries throughout the area while enjoying stories of ethnic holiday traditions en route. Guests on this unique tour will be treated to signature cookies, candies and pastries at each stop.
- Our guests have a lot of fun shopping at each of the bakeries we visit. Please consider bringing a tote or canvas shopping bag to keep track of all of your goodies on the bus. As several bakeries only take cash, be sure to keep that in mind when planning out your day.
- You may want to think about bringing a bottle of water with you, otherwise you can purchase bottled drinks at most of the establishments that we visit.
- We encourage everyone to dress for the occasion; Santa hats, Elf stockings, ugly Christmas sweaters, pretty Christmas sweaters...all are welcome on the Christmas Around Milwaukee Bakery Bus Tours!
- Although minimal walking is required, there is still walking involved.
- This tour is NOT handicap accessible and attendees will need to go up/down minimal stairs to get on/off the bus multiple times.
What Is Not Included?
- This is an excellent opportunity to purchase your holiday cookies - please bring extra cash with you if you'd like to purchase additional items during the tour as well as a tote or canvas shopping bag to keep track of all of your goodies on the bus! Please note: some stops do not accept credit cards.
- Gratuities for your tour guide, although not required, are always appreciated.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Fun Christmas Activity
|hawaiilvr||Sat, Dec 21, 13 9:30 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Other|
This was our first time doing a Milwaukee Food Tour. My dad and sister were visiting for Christmas and I thought it would be a fun activity for all of us. We will know for next time to bring an even bigger tote for all of the goodies that we purchased along the way. I do wish there had been more info on each of the bakeries we went to, like their history, how they came to be in Milwaukee things like that. I also wish that there had been more samples (because everything was so tasty :) ). It also felt very rushed, I know it is a busy time but I felt like we were being rushed out of each bakery. Other than that I thought it was a lot of fun and our tour guide elf was very fun and energetic. I want me and my husband to do a pizza tour next :)
Very much fun!
|NancyKostka||Sat, Dec 21, 13 9:30 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
The length of the tour and the number of stops on the tour was perfect. Samples were generous. It would have been nice for the tour guide to provide a small bottle of water halfway through the trip or to suggest that participants bring water along.
Great Outing Right Before Christmas
|KathyEckhard||Sat, Dec 21, 13 9:30 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
My friend's birthday is in December and we always look for an activity that we can do together. This was perfect. We loved the bakeries and our tour guide, Sandy, was so fun and perky - the perfect elf! We ended the day by going to the Mitchell Park Domes and sampling the Farmer's Market cheeses, etc. and viewing the beautiful flowers.
4 Lady Elves Love Christmas Bakery Bus Tour
|JoyceMielke||Sat, Dec 21, 13 9:30 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Four of us - from Wauwatosa, Bay View and Madison - loved the tour. Our tour guide was great as was the bus driver. The treats were a great surprise!! The items to purchase were wonderful. I brought large Watts bags for our group. We recommend that you provide a large bag - perhaps with the name of the tour - for the treats that all purchase. Thanks so much for a fun tour!! from the 4 Lady Elves Who Fell in Love with the Christmas Bakery Bus Tour
Wonderful Holiday Bakery Tour
|PercyMather||Sun, Dec 15, 13 9:30 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Our group of four had a wonderful three hours learning about five local bakeries. The stories were fun and informative, the food was excellent, the variety was amazing, and we even had a trivia contest. We found this tour entertaining, informative, and fun.
Fun way to see local neighborhoods
|PeggySaeger||Sun, Dec 15, 13 9:30 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
Loved driving through area neighborhoods and experiencing different ethnic bakeries.
|judithhuck||Sun, Dec 15, 13 9:30 AM||Female||70+||Local||Other|
Out tour guide, Sandy, gave a lot of history of the areas we visited and also many Christmas stories. Delightful person! We visited bakeries on the south, east, north, and west in the Milwaukee area. All of them were unique in their own way. Each bakery provided us with a very generous treat plus all of the tempting items that we could and did purchase. My favorite new place for a breakfast treat is definitely Cranky Al's in Wauwatosa. I've never had breakfast pizza and it was a pleasant experience - one worth returning on my own to enjoy the several varieties once again.
Great Chrismas present to self
|Rolandjoan||Sat, Dec 14, 13 10:30 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
The 3 of us (2 female, 1 male) had a great time! Food samples were plentiful and delicious.Each bakery had its own character and variety of treats.We never realized these gems were here and frequented one the following Sunday for ham and rolls.Parking was a little bit of a hassle as we went at 10:30 and 5 other groups were ahead of us. Overall a fun way to spend 3 hours before Christmas!
I tried to be good and watch my diet, but.......
|Bobsdad1||Sat, Dec 14, 13 10:30 AM||Male||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
If you are doing low carb, no sugar like I am, beware! There were so many good things that just sang to me. The tour was a lot of fun and Jean our guide was just the best. I highly recommend this tour. If you value your waistline, do not go hungry, things will follow you home!
Fun tour, although a little pricey
|essence22712||Sat, Dec 14, 13 10:30 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Unspecified|
Surprised my mom for Christmas with this tour, as she is a big bakery sweets fan. She loved it! There was one stop that probably could have been skipped, didn't have a lot of product and not great presentation but all the other stops were great. We went on a day that there were 2 other tour buses ahead of us so I was afraid they would be sold out of some of the items, but it seemed that they were able to plan ahead and almost everything was still available. You do get samples at each store, some are just pieces of broken cookie to try at the time, others are bagged cookie or cheesecake to take home. Was a fun experience. Had it not been a Christmas present, I'm not sure I would pay $50/person though.
- Is advance purchase required? Is cash accepted?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Cash is not accepted.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain, shine or snow! As this is a winter tour, we encourage you to dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. In the extremely rare event that the tour has to be canceled, you will be able to reschedule to another time or get credit for a future event.
- If a food tour is sold out, is there a waiting list?
- If a date/time is sold out or not listed as an available tour date, there is always a chance that if requested, we can add an additional tour on that date/time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What is the maximum number of people per tour?
- As this is a bus tour with limited seating, the tour is limited to 40 attendees per tour.
- What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour provides a wide range of ethnic bakery samples as well as non-alcoholic beverages (hot chocolate, coffee, cider, etc.)
- Are beverages provided?
- Non-alcoholic options such as hot chocolate, coffee and cider are provided. Remember to bring cash with you if you want to purchase extra beverages!
- What about dietary restrictions?
- We will do our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions provided we are aware of them in advance. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions you have upon purchasing your tickets. If you have further questions, please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire.
- Do we just drive around and sample food?
- Absolutely not! Milwaukee has a wonderful, rich history. Visitors learn the history of the city and learn about the many ethnic influences that shaped our great city as well as learn about the holiday traditions of that ethnicity. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss history, culture, architecture, and entertainment offerings, and introduce you to newer establishments.
- What bakeries do we visit on the tour?
- It's a surprise! We will visit a variety of excellent bakeries, but do keep in mind that the tour routes and thereby the exact places we visit may vary from tour to tour.
- How much walking is included?
- Although our specialty tour is via bus, please note that some walking is still required - we encourage you to wear comfortable shoes and weather-appropriate clothing. These special holiday tours are NOT handicap accessible and will require attendees to go up/down stairs.
- Can I bring children on the tour?
- We offer an adolescent ticket for kids 8 to 15. We also offer a free child ticket for those 7 and under who will not be participating in the tasting but will require a seat on the bus. Please do notify us if you will be bringing an infant who will not need a seat on the bus by entering a "Message to the Seller" when booking your tickets. Keep in mind that we will be discussing cultural history, and much of the tour involves eating and socializing. Please consider whether your children will enjoy the tour and whether it is appropriate for them.
- Can I shop on the tour?
- Absolutely - this is a great opportunity to stock up on your holiday treats!
- Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
- Is there parking near to the tour's meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native Milwaukean?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in Milwaukee. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Our knowledgeable guides will tell you exciting secrets about the city and perhaps introduce you to new favorites!
- Are cameras allowed?
- Yes, visitors are allowed and encouraged to take pictures at any of the establishments we visit.
- Are pets allowed?
- Due to the policies of the various food establishments we visit, pets are not allowed on this tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link if you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Give the gift of exploring the sights and flavors of Milwaukee's most historic and delicious neighborhoods with a gift certificate for a Milwaukee Food Tour experience! These make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, or simply to say "Thank You" or "Welcome to Your New Home." The recipient selects their tour route of choice plus schedules the tour at a time convenient to their schedule. For complete details and to purchase a gift certificate, please email email@example.com
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Private tours and step-on guide service is available for large groups. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire further.
Milwaukee Food Tours
We are Milwaukee's original - and award winning - food tour. I am a Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA), an alumna of Future Milwaukee 2009 and have served as a culinary speaker at a number of tourism-related conferences. We even recently won the 2010 Governor's Rising Star in Tourism Award! Credentials aside, at Milwaukee Food Tours, our passion is firmly rooted in food and in Milwaukee.
We are proud of two pieces of commentary often provided by our attendees: “I’ve lived here my entire life and never explored Milwaukee like I did today” and “I was expecting a tasting but this was a full meal!” Whether you are a Milwaukee native, visiting the city on your own or traveling as part of group, you will not be disappointed. We consider our tours a progressive meal with a side of history.
Stories from Milwaukee's culinary scene are plentiful, and I invite you to immerse yourself into our culture in a fun and intimate way by experiencing a Milwaukee Food Tour. Come hungry, and be inspired!