We'll meet at a local coffee shop where we'll first enjoy coffee and muffins, then we'll visit 3 churches - plus 2 chocolatiers - via bus. Coffee, muffins, chocolate treats, guided-fun and round-trip transportation are included in the price, along with donations to each church visited.
Sample itinerary of places we might visit:
St. Joan of Arc Chapel - perhaps the only medieval structure (1400's) in the entire Western Hemisphere dedicated to its original purpose
St. Paul's Episcopal Church - view their stunning and extensive stained glass window collection, including the largest window ever created by Tiffany
Grace Lutheran - celebrate 160 years of their history in downtown Milwaukee
- Our guests have a lot of fun shopping at each of the chocolate shops that we visit. Please consider bringing a tote or canvas shopping bag to keep track of all of your goodies on the bus.
- Although minimal walking is required, there is still walking involved.
- Church locations subject to change based on availability.
- This tour is NOT handicap accessible and attendees will need to go up/down minimal stairs to get on/off the bus multiple times.
What Is Not Included?
Gratuities for your tour guide, although not required, are always appreciated.
- Is advance purchase required? Is cash accepted?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Cash is not accepted.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain, shine or snow and therefore, we encourage you to dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. In the extremely rare event that the tour has to be canceled, you will be able to reschedule to another time or get credit for a future event.
- If a food tour is sold out, is there a waiting list?
- If a date/time is sold out or not listed as an available tour date, there is always a chance that if requested, we can add an additional tour on that date/time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What is the maximum number of people per tour?
- As this is a bus tour with limited seating, the tour is limited to 40 attendees per tour.
- What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour provides a wide range of chocolate samples as well as limited non-alcoholic beverages. Remember to bring cash with you if you want to purchase extra items!
- Are beverages provided?
- Limited non-alcoholic options are provided. Remember to bring cash with you if you want to purchase extra beverages!
- What about dietary restrictions?
- We will do our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions provided we are aware of them in advance. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions you have upon purchasing your tickets. If you have further questions, please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire.
- Do we just drive around to visit churches and sample chocolates?
- Absolutely not! Milwaukee has a wonderful, rich history. Visitors learn the history of the city and learn about the many ethnic influences that shaped our great city as well as learn about the holiday traditions of that ethnicity. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss history, culture, architecture, and entertainment offerings, and introduce you to newer establishments.
- What places do we visit on the tour?
- It's a surprise! We will visit a variety of excellent chocolate shops and churches, but do keep in mind that the tour routes and thereby the exact places we visit may vary from tour to tour.
- How much walking is included?
- Although our tour is via bus and requires minimal walking between tasting locations, please note that this tour is NOT handicap accessible and will require attendees to go up and down stairs. We encourage you to wear comfortable shoes and weather-appropriate clothing.
- Can I bring children on the tour?
- We offer an adolescent ticket for kids 8 to 15. We also offer a free child ticket for those 7 and under who will not be participating in the tasting but will require a seat on the bus. Please do notify us if you will be bringing an infant who will not need a seat on the bus by entering a "Message to the Seller" when booking your tickets. Keep in mind that we will be discussing cultural history, and much of the tour involves eating and socializing. Please consider whether your children will enjoy the tour and whether it is appropriate for them.
- Can I shop on the tour?
- Absolutely - this is a great opportunity to stock up on your holiday treats!
- Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
- Is there parking near to the tour's meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native Milwaukean?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in Milwaukee. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Our knowledgeable guides will tell you exciting secrets about the city and perhaps introduce you to new favorites!
- Are cameras allowed?
- Yes, visitors are allowed and encouraged to take pictures at any of the establishments we visit.
- Are pets allowed?
- Due to the policies of the various food establishments we visit, pets are not allowed on this tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link if you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Give the gift of exploring the sights and flavors of Milwaukee's most historic and delicious neighborhoods with a gift certificate for a Milwaukee Food Tour experience! These make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, or simply to say "Thank You" or "Welcome to Your New Home." The recipient selects their tour route of choice plus schedules the tour at a time convenient to their schedule. For complete details and to purchase a gift certificate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Private tours and step-on guide service is available for large groups. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire further.
Milwaukee Food Tours
We are Milwaukee's original - and award winning - food tour. I am a Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA), an alumna of Future Milwaukee 2009 and have served as a culinary speaker at a number of tourism-related conferences. We even recently won the 2010 Governor's Rising Star in Tourism Award! Credentials aside, at Milwaukee Food Tours, our passion is firmly rooted in food and in Milwaukee.
We are proud of two pieces of commentary often provided by our attendees: “I’ve lived here my entire life and never explored Milwaukee like I did today” and “I was expecting a tasting but this was a full meal!” Whether you are a Milwaukee native, visiting the city on your own or traveling as part of group, you will not be disappointed. We consider our tours a progressive meal with a side of history.
Stories from Milwaukee's culinary scene are plentiful, and I invite you to immerse yourself into our culture in a fun and intimate way by experiencing a Milwaukee Food Tour. Come hungry, and be inspired!