Whether you're a novice, a professional photographer, or just interested in history, you'll enjoy this tour!
Family-friendly (free for children 8 and younger; discounted rate for children 9 - 15) and fun for all, this guided walking tour is focused on teaching guests to take more creative photos while learning about Madison's history. Your tour guide will escort the group along the route, giving tips on photography and composition as well as providing historical background on the sights along the way.
Discover the stunning beauty of Madison with your camera in your hand! Photo opportunities include:
- Wisconsin State Capitol
- Mansion Hill
- Exterior visits to historical churches
- Picturesque Lake Monona and Monona Terrace
- During Saturday morning tours, the Dane County Farmer's Market
- Much more!
Tour Length – Slightly more than one mile of walking; our Madison Photo Walks route is not wheelchair accessible.
Time Commitment – Approximately 2 hours, depending on the pace of the group.
What Is Not Included?
- Is advance purchase required? Is cash accepted?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Cash is not accepted.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain, shine or snow! In the extremely rare event that the tour has to be canceled, you will be able to reschedule to another time or receive an open credit to come back.
- Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
- Yes, the tour begins and ends in the same place.
- If a tour is sold out, is there a waiting list?
- If a date/time is sold out or not listed as an available tour date, there is always a chance that if requested, we can add an additional tour on that date/time. Please click “Contact MKEFoodTours” to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What is the maximum number of people per tour?
- In order to provide an intimate, personalized experience, the public tour options are limited to 16 people per tour guide. For private tours, additional tour guides can be added to accommodate larger groups.
- What if I have no experience with photography?
- The tour is designed for participants of all skill levels. The tour provides an opportunity for both experienced and novice photographers alike to expand their creative vision. If you wish to learn more about your particular camera, there will be plenty of time for you to ask questions along the way. If you are not very familiar with your camera's functions, it is often helpful if you bring along the manual but not necessary.
- What kind of camera can I bring on tour?
- You can bring any type of camera on the tour and even a simple disposable camera or two will work. The tour provides a hands-on learning experience for participants to explore Madison visually and to expand the ways in which they think creatively. Many people have also enjoyed the tour without a camera, simply enjoying the historical commentary and having a bit of extra time to look around an area.
- Do I have to have a camera to join the tour?
- No. Madison Photo Walks provides plenty of commentary about the city in addition to offering photography tips for creative composition.
- Is the price the same if one person has a camera and the other does not?
- Yes, every participant on the tour must have a ticket. Many participants have done the tour without a camera and have enjoyed the historical commentary. You could use a disposable camera or a cell phone camera as both of these will still allow you to expand your creative vision.
- Are food or beverages served on the tour?
- Although we do provide one, small treat along the way, please understand that food and beverages are not the focus on a Madison Photo Walk. Please feel free to bring extra cash with you if you would like to purchase food or beverages along the way. If you would like to specifically take a food tour, please consider our other tour offerings in Milwaukee.
- How much walking is included?
- Tours last around 2 hours depending on the pace of our group. Our tour route is approximately 1 mile and we always walk at a moderate pace to meet the needs of the guests. Private tours via pedicab, limo or bus can be arranged with advanced notice (click on "Contact MKEFoodTours" to inquire).
- Can I bring children on the tour?
- We offer an adolescent ticket, and children ages 8 and younger may come on the tour free of charge. Please do notify us if you will be bringing any children ages 8 or younger upon purchasing your tickets. Keep in mind that we will be discussing culture and history, and much of the tour is walking and socializing. Please consider whether your children will enjoy the tour and whether it is appropriate for them.
- Can I shop on the tour?
- We ask that you wait to shop until after the tour so that we can stay on schedule. We recommend that you allow time at the end of the tour to return to your favorite locations and/or stores. For private group tours, additional time for shopping can easily be incorporated into the tour per your advance request to do so.
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- This tour route is not wheelchair accessible. Families have successfully brought baby strollers on the tour, but do need to lift the stroller up/down steps along the way.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at select locations.
- Is there parking near to the tour's meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located near the tour meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions which you will receive after purchasing your tour tickets.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native of the area?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in Wisconsin. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Our knowledgeable guides will tell you exciting secrets about the city and perhaps introduce you to new favorites! Tour attendees often say, “I’ve lived here my entire life and never explored the city like I did today.”
- Are cameras allowed?
- Absolutely - please be sure to bring your camera ready to take photos!
- Are pets allowed?
- No, pets are not allowed on this tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. Please click “Contact MKEFoodTours” if you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Gift certificates are available for both Milwaukee and Madison Photo Walks, as well as Milwaukee Food Tours. Give the gift of exploring the sights and flavors of Milwaukee's most historic and delicious neighborhoods with a gift certificate for a tour experience! These make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, or simply to say "Thank You" or "Welcome to Your New Home." The recipient selects their tour route of choice plus schedules the tour at a time convenient to their schedule. For complete details and to purchase a gift certificate, please email us at email@example.com
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! We offer private tours and can customize them to suit your group's needs and interests. For example, additional time for shopping can be added into the experience or walking can be eliminated from routes, etc. To book a private tour, simply email theresa at firstname.lastname@example.org to request your desired tour date and pricing options.
Milwaukee Food Tours
All of our tour guides have a strong passion and skill in photography. Whether you are a Wisconsin native, visiting Madison on your own or traveling as part of group, you will not be disappointed. We even recently won the 2010 Governor's Rising Star in Tourism Award!
Stories from Madison's historical past are plentiful, and I invite you to immerse yourself into our culture in a fun and intimate way by experiencing a Madison Photo Walk.