The Honorable William Wall is Manhattan Sailing Club's floating clubhouse. It is anchored in New York Harbor just North of Ellis Island (May-October).
The clubhouse is open to members and non-members. Transportation to and from the clubhouse is provided by the USCG certified Admiral's Launch.
The clubhouse is open Tuesday through Saturday. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are race evenings when sailboats circle the clubhouse from about 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Fridays & Saturdays have a lively bar and social scene.
The clubhouse features:
- An open-air bar on the upper deck
- Incredible views of the skyline of Manhattan!
- Sailboat races around the clubhouse.
Feel free to bring your own picnic and food, but all beverages must be purchased on board the clubhouse. Food may also be ordered from nearby restaurants, and will be brought out to the clubhouse by launch. The clubhouse is also available for private parties and corporate events.
When the clubhouse is at full capacity, the launch operates on a member-first policy where club members get to go to the front of the line.
The clubhouse is named after the Honorable William Wall, who set up a successful rope business in Williamsburg, Brooklyn in the early 1800s. He later served as a noted local political figure and a New York City Congressman during the Civil War.
Enjoy New York City's best kept secret. Discover the harbor by visiting the Honorable William Wall!
Please Note: The last launch to the clubhouse takes place at 8:45 p.m. Launches at later times than what is listed on our calendar are walk-up only.
If you would to book a large group (more than 6 people), please contact us directly by clicking the "Contact ManhattanYC" link on the left side of this page.
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase in advance?
- No, but it is highly recommended that you purchase launch tickets in advance. The capacity of the clubhouse is 149 passengers. On weekdays, advanced tickets are sold for the 5:30, 6, 6:30 and 7 p.m. launches. If you have a ticket and the launches are sold out, you are guaranteed to get out. If the early launches are not sold out, you can buy a ticket at the dock. Starting at 7 p.m., more tickets are sold at the dock as people come off the clubhouse. If the clubhouse is at capacity and 25 people come off, then 25 more people can go out. Please be advised that we have a strong tendency to sell out, so advance purchase is highly recommended.
- Can I bring my own food and drinks?
- Yes, you you can bring your own picnic food out the clubhouse but you may not bring you own drinks. All drinks must be purchased onboard.
- How big is the launch and how many people fit on it?
- The Admiral's Launch is a 40-foot former US Navy vessel. She was built by Willard Marine to top Navy standards. The launch is certified for up to 49 passengers.
- Do I have to worry about falling into the water at any time?
- No, you do not have to worry about falling in the water. However, visiting the clubhouse in the harbor does require "sea legs." You have to climb up two steps and then over a rail to board Admiral's Launch. You have to walk down boarding steps at the clubhouse as well.
- Can you do private events?
- Yes, many companies rent the Honorable William Wall for office parties every summer. If you are interested in a private event, please contact us directly by clicking the "Contact ManhattanYC" on the left side of this page.
- What is the price range of drinks at the bar?
- Drinks range from $2 for soda and water to $7 for beers. Mixed drinks are very reasonably priced and the clubhouse also offers bottles of champagne.
- What about food?
- There is very limited bar food. Most people bring their own picnic snacks with them. You can also order from nearby restaurants and have the food delivered to the clubhouse.
- Is the boat/bar wheelchair accessible?
- No, we are sorry but the clubhouse is not wheelchair accessible. You have to climb up boarding ladders and over rails to get onboard.
- Do I have to be a minimum age?
- No, as a vessel, children who are accompanied by an adult are welcomed to come out to the clubhouse. Please note that everyone needs a regular-priced ticket.
- Who do I contact if I'm interested in joining the club?
- For more information about joining the club, you can visit our website. You can read about membership there and an online membership application is available.
- How long does it take to get to the bar?
- The launch ride from North Cove to the clubhouse takes about 8 minutes. Disembarking from the launch takes a few minutes. But relax, you've lived your whole life getting to this point. Now that you are finally here, there is no longer a reason to rush.
- Does the price of my ticket include my return trip?
- Yes, the launch fee is for a round-trip.
- What is the latest that I can return?
- The last launch with passengers departs from the clubhouse at 9:45 p.m. If the clubhouse is at capacity at 8:30 p.m., then the 8:45, 9:15 and 9:45 launches must all take the maximum number of people off in order to close by 10 p.m.
- Does the bar have a maximum allowed amount of people?
- Yes, the USCG capacity for the Honorable William Wall is 149 passengers.
- What landmarks will we be able to see from the clubhouse?
- You will have the world's best view of the Skyline of Lower Manhattan from the Honorable William Wall. During the early evening, the skyline changes color as the sun sets. And then the lights of the city go on and the view from the clubhouse becomes even more magical. You will also be able to see the Statue of Liberty in the distance.
- What happens if it rains?
- Small amount of rain or a passing storm do not faze us. The clubhouse has a roof which keeps you dry. If the weather is really bad and raining or storming all day, then we sometimes decide to close.
- What types of payment do you accept at the bar?
- We accept all major credit cards as well as cash.
- Do you have life jackets?
- There are life jackets on the launch as well as the clubhouse, per US Coast Guard regulations.
- Will I get seasick?
- Most people do not get seasick. But if you are prone to seasickness, it is possible. The Honorable William Wall is a boat which floats and is moving.
- Is it okay if I'm pregnant?
- If you are pregnant, please check with your doctor. We advise women against drinking alcohol while pregnant.
- Is there a restroom at the clubhouse?
- Yes, there are 2 beautiful bathrooms on the clubhouse. The bathrooms are "marine heads" so please remember to conserve water.
- If I'm driving where should I park?
- We recommend you use public transportation and help the environment. There is also a taxi stand at the corner of South End and Liberty Street.
- Is smoking allowed at the clubhouse?
- There is smoking allowed but we request that you smoke away from other patrons who may not appreciate the second hand smoke. The lower deck on the southern end of the clubhouse is an out of the way place.
- Can I bring my dog or pet?
- No, we are sorry that pets are not permitted on the clubhouse. We do not have facilities for pets to go to the bathroom and the launch is not suitable to pets as well.
Manhattan Yacht Club
Anyone interested in sailing is encoruaged to get involved. We hope your visit to the clubhouse in the harbor makes you want to become a sailor too. The public teaching arm of the club is called Manhattan Sailing School. You can sign up for sailing lessons on their websitewww.sailmanhattan.com. There are also junior programs for kids during the summer months.