New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art is a massive, venerable cultural institution. We realize that even the most seasoned art experts take longer than a few hours to digest all that lies within the Met's hallowed walls, and we don't claim to show you everything. What we offer is a fun, group-oriented tour experience certain to keep you entertained and teach you a bit along the way.
On a 2 hour Museum Hack tour, you should expect:
- Group participation
- Exciting history
- A fast pace
- Fun photos
- 100% Satisfaction
"I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your tour. It did what all great education does, it made me think differently. No longer is the MET, or any other museum, just a building that houses interesting things. Now it's a work unto itself and one that I plan on appreciating more often thanks to your introduction. Thank you for allowing me the absolute pleasure of joining you for a glimpse into the beauty of the MET."
- Scott of Scott's Pizza Tours
"Thanks a ton for last week's tour. I had a seriously fun time. People like you and projects like your art tour are what make me excited and happy to live in NYC."
- Dan Rollman, Co-Founder and CEO, RecordSetter World Records
For a fun, new look at the Met, take a tour with Museum Hack!
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Surprised and intrigued
|Lolobelle||Mon, Oct 20 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We had a great time looking at the museum from a completely different point of view. And fun to boot! Very informative and fun guide, Harry.
Fun, Engaging and Informative
|Kristenfhosk||Sun, Oct 19 2:30 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
I had a great time on my Museum Hack tour - I walked away with great information about specific people, artwork and the Met itself. Highly recommend to everyone!
Quick trip, but now I want more!
|julicnik||Sun, Oct 19 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
This was my first visit to the MET. I was a bit daunted by the thought of making it through on my own and decided that the tour was the best way to go. The tour group was small which allowed us to get a more personalized experience which was great for a first visit. While two hours is not nearly enough to cover the museum, it definitely left me wanting more and wondering what other guides might show us if we signed up for another time...which we most definitely will do!
Fun and informative
|7023ms||Sat, Oct 18 11:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Thank you Nora for having the patience and the enthusiasm for the museum to instill in my 8 year old granddaughter a love of all things being Metropolitan! From our 80 year old member to our 8 year old, our group of 7 had a wonderful time. The extras (postcard, photos) were icing on the cake.
Fun fun fun
|pastabean||Fri, Oct 17 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Best summed up by kids They did the impossible and made a museum fun!!
We loved it!
|cdupton||Thu, Oct 16 11:00 AM||Unspecified||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This was an awesome experience! Lia and Michelle did a fantastic job with this one of a kind tour experience. Fun, engaging and interesting. Not your boring overly educational tour. I highly recommend to anyone coming to The Met.
Can't be beat!!
|marthagoodma||Mon, Oct 13 11:00 AM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We had both Kate and Ethan -a duo who worked so well together, so we had the best of both their personalities. They took us all over the Met, stopping at places where there was an interesting story behind the art. Both were quite knowledgeable, enthusiastic and a delight as tour guides. Our tour group varied in ages and all seemed to enjoy the unusual highlights. I highly recommend.
|LynnIturra||Sat, Oct 11 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My twelve year old son and I thoroughly enjoyed a two hour tour with Nora and Michelle as our guides. Both of us remarked that it was one of our favorite experiences while visiting New York City. I would enthusiastically recommend this tour for everyone.
|teamelvin||Sun, Oct 5 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Other|
Lia and Michelle were enthusiastic, informative and fun tourguides. Usually I get a Museum-induced glazed expression after 1/4 hr, but even when the tour had finished we wanted more. Would definitely book again. Thank you.
Fun way to unconventionally visit the Met
|feickertr||Sun, Sep 28 11:00 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
I attended a recent Museum Hack Met tour with my boyfriend, and my sisters who were visiting from out of town. I found the tour guides to be friendly and funny, and thought the stories they shared were interesting. I would definitely recommend this tour to friends.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes, tickets must be purchased in advance. Tours often sell out so we suggest purchasing your tickets early to guarantee your desired tour day. You can buy your tickets either online or by phone with a Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- Are there any age limits? Can we bring our kids?
- We do not have an official age limit, and kids are welcome to attend. However, keep in mind that the tour's content is built to appeal generally to those ages 15 and older, so parents should use their own discretion when deciding whether or not to bring their children. There is no reduced rate for children.
- How much walking or standing will there be? Are there stairs?
- The Met is a 4-story structure and we will be on our feet for the majority of the 2-hour tour. Guests will have the opportunity to sit down at a few points on the tour, but we will be using the stairs.
- Is the Met wheelchair accessible?
- Yes, the Met is wheelchair accessible. We have no issue whatsoever accommodating wheelchair users on our tours.
- Do you allow photography?
- Yes! We welcome our guests to take photos during the tour. Be mindful that the Met prohibits flash photography, however, so photographs must be taken without flash.
- Are refreshments available for purchase?
- Yes, drinks and snacks are available for purchase inside the Met at one of its various cafes. Keep in mind, however, that outside food is strictly prohibited within the museum but bottled water is OK.
- What should I wear?
- We recommend that you dress comfortably and wear shoes for walking as you will be on your feet for the majority of the tour.
- Can I bring a bag/backpack or store my luggage?
- The Met has very strict policies regarding bags and luggage. All backpacks and packages must be checked at the coat-check facility. Large, over sized backpacks, luggage, and carry-on bags can not be brought inside or checked at coat-check, so be sure to leave these at home! We recommend traveling lite to avoid waiting on lines at coat-check!
- Is parking available?
- Yes, there is a parking garage within the Met as well as a number of garages in the area. Keep in mind that daily parking rates do apply, and you should leave yourself extra time to arrive at the meeting location punctually after parking.
- Is admission to the Met included in the ticket price?
- Your ticket price includes tour admission and admission to the Met. Museum members and those with CityPASS will also have to purchase a full priced ticket with museum admission included, due to Met regulations. If museum members or those with CityPASS have any questions, Please click on the "Contact MuseumHack" link to the left.
- What about bad weather?
- Museum Hack tours take place entirely within the Metropolitan Museum, so tours will take place rain or shine.
- When is the best time to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art?
- For our Un-highlights tours, we highly suggest the earliest option available (usually 10:15am). This is the time when the Museum is the least crowded and your guide can move you quickly through the space.
- Is the Met open all year round?
- While Museum Hack tours are not offered every day, the Met is open 7 days a week throughout the year. It does close on some holidays, including Thanksgiving Day and others. You can check out their hours here: http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/hours-and-admission.
- Is there a gift shop at the Met?
- Yes, the Met has gift shops scattered throughout its various floors and levels. While we will not have time to visit them during the tour, we absolutely encourage you to visit them afterwards. Your guide will be happy to direct you to one of the gift shops after the tour.
- Are pets allowed on the tour?
- No, other than certified service dogs, pets are not permitted.
- Do you sell tour gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this activity, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Do you offer private or group tours?
- Yes, private group tours are available. Group tour hours and fees vary from our regular schedule. Please click on the "Contact MuseumHack" link to the left to schedule a private tour for your group.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tour is seriously not advised for children under 12
- You should book a private family tour with us instead so we can better tailor the tour -- including no swearing or avoiding sexual content. While children are allowed to come along on this public tour, the content is geared towards adults and adult themes. Bringing a child is ultimately up to the discretion of the parents.
- We post cool pictures on Facebook!
- Your Museum Hack guide may photograph you and put the pictures on our Facebook, Twitter, or blog. If you do not want to be photographed, let us know and we are happy to keep the pictures private. By purchasing your ticket, you are releasing Museum Hack from any liability for photographing you in conjunction with the tour, and from using your likeness in all media for all purposes in perpetuity.
This is not your average art history lecture. Seamlessly woven into the experience are team building exercises that foster a creative and supportive environment, build a sense of togetherness, and help improve critical thinking and presentation skills...all within the hallowed walls of New York's greatest cultural institution.