Advocates of creating the park (primarily wealthy merchants and landowners) admired the public grounds of London and Paris and thus urged New York to create a comparable facility to establish its international reputation. A public park, they argued, would offer their own families an attractive setting for carriage rides and provide working-class New Yorkers with a healthy alternative to the saloon.
After three years of debate over the park site and cost, in 1853 the state legislature finally authorized the City of New York to use the power of eminent domain to acquire more than 700 acres of land in the center of Manhattan.
On this 2 hour walking tour you'll wind through one of the world’s most beloved parks, featuring 220 magnificent acres of landscaped design where nature, recreation and culture share all the carbon neutral wealth.
Central Park is a sophisticated hotspot to New Yorkers and visitors from every corner of the globe. Some of the sights on this tour may include:
- The Delacorte Theatre
- The Wollman Skating Rink
- Belvedere Castle
- The Harlem Meer
- Tavern on the Green
- Strawberry Fields
- Bow Bridge
- Angel of the Water at Bethesda Terrace
- Conservatory Water
- The Mall
- The famous Great Lawn concert field
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended as we do tend to sell out. Please book in advance to ensure you get the date and time you want. Accepted forms of payment are Visa, Mastercard and AMEX.
- What happens if it rains?
- Tours run rain or shine, and we generally only cancel for severe weather. If we do need to cancel a tour due to weather, you will be notified at least 12 hours beforehand.
- Can children attend? Is there a reduced price ticket?
- Yes, children are welcome to attend and all children under 10 are welcome to attend for free!
- Where will this tour begin?
- We will meet near Central Park South. The exact meeting location details will be provided at the time of your booking.
- Where will this tour end?
- The Central Park tour ends in Columbus Circle at the Time Warner Center on 59th St.
- How much walking is invloved? What is the walking pace?
- We cover approximately 220 acres in total as we walk along the walking path on the southern loop of the park. While we walk at a moderate pace, please keep in mind that the tour is approximately 2 -2.5 hours long depending on the size and pace of the group.
- Do we go inside any buildings?
- There are a few buildings that you will be able to go into and take breaks at.
- What time should we arrive for the tour?
- We ask that guests arrive 15 to 20 minutes prior to the tour start time as our tours leave right on time.
- What should I wear?
- Since this is a walking tour and we will be on our feet most of the time, be sure to wear comfortable walking shoes. Also, make sure to dress for the day's weather conditions as the tour does run rain or shine.
- Can someone with a handicap or in a wheelchair go on the tour?
- Yes, the paths within and around Central Park can be navigated by someone in a wheelchair. If anyone in your group is handicapped, we can also provide pedicabs for an additional charge. To discuss your situation, please feel free to contact us directly by clicking the "Contact NYCGGTours" link on the left side of this page.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- Yes, there will be several bathrooms available along the way.
- Can I buy food or drinks along the way or bring my own?
- Feel free to buy food or drinks along the way or bring your own.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native New Yorker?
- Absolutely! We will talk about this neighborhood's exciting history and locals often learn more about the city in which they live. In addition, our tour guides are excited to share their experiences, answer your questions and show you what they love about New York!
- Is there public transport or parking available nearby?
- Yes! Specific details will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- Can I bring my dog or pet on the tour?
- Yes, you are welcome to bring your pet on any of our tours!
- Is smoking allowed on the tour?
- Smoking is not allowed on the Central Park tour.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Sure! If you're interested in purchasing a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact NYCGGTours" link on the left side of this page.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Absolutely! If you're interested in a private tour, please contact us directly by clicking the "Contact NYCGGTours" link on the left side of this page.
NYC GoGreen Tours
No client should ever feel as though they did not get their money’s worth. In fact they should be made to feel that they received even more than what they'd hoped for. We want you to return home with a positive image of the rich history, people and pop culture that make NYC the most incredible city in the world.
REMEMBER: IT’S YOUR VACATION! IT’S YOUR MONEY! IT’S YOUR TOUR!