We’ll meet in the heart of Old Towne Orange and stroll down historic Glassell and Chapman Streets past antique stores, boutiques and charming historic buildings and to our food destinations! Get a brief history of the Plaza while experiencing it in a 360 degree panoramic view! It's one of the many things that helps make Old Towne charming and relevant in this vibrant community.
- At each stop you'll be treated to a specialty of the house, hear from the owner or manager, and get a history of the restaurant and how it came to do business in Old Towne.
- You’ll enjoy food tastings from a diverse array of cuisines ranging from Cuban to Italian to Retro Americana.
- The tour lasts approximately 3 hours and covers about 1-1/4 miles over flat and comfortably roomy sidewalks. The Southern California weather is almost always beautiful and mild.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay with cash?
- Due to the advanced preparation required for each tour, tickets must be purchased in advance. Tours often sell out quickly, so we recommend booking as far in advance as possible!
- If a tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- You may email us to be put on a waiting list. We will contact you if space becomes available after you are placed on the list; however, cancellations are rare, so it is always best to choose another date and time if possible.
- What type of tickets are available for your tours and events?
- We sell tickets for $49 for all age groups. Children ages 5 and under are complimentary and can share tastings with an accompanying adult, however please note that the tour is 2-1/2 to 3 hours long. Please take this into consideration when planning your children's participation in the tour. Furthermore, please also note that the streets in the Old Towne Orange Plaza area can be very busy. We will be crossing one or more of the Plaza streets during our tour. If you will be bringing a child, you will be solely responsible for their supervision. Orange Food Tours/Old Towne Orange Walking Food Tour will not be held liable for any accidents or injuries while on the tour. Please watch your step and keep your little ones close at all times.
- Is it customary to tip on a tour?
- Our tour guides work hard to make sure everyone is well cared for. If they succeeded, won't you let them know by leaving a generous tip? They'll certainly appreciate your appreciation!
- Are the foods on the tour appropriate for children?
- The food on this tour is generally child-friendly, but it will be up to parents to make that determination for their own children individually.
- Will the tour take place if it’s raining?
- The tour will take place in a light to moderate drizzle (almost all the sidewalks we'll be on are covered!). If rain is heavy, the tour will likely be rescheduled. You will be notified of cancellation either by email one hour prior to the tour, or you may contact us directly to check on cancellation status (details will be provided upon purchasing your tickets). We understand some of our participants are on vacation here, and if this is the case and we cancel due to weather, we will refund you if rescheduling is not possible for you.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- We require a 72 hour notice of cancellation in order accomodate rescheduling plans. Our tours are often sold out and we have a waiting list. We will be able to reschedule you if you provide this notice.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- Please wear comfortable shoes and clothing during the tour. Over the duration of the tour, we will be walking about 1 1/4 miles, not including going in and out of restaurants. Please include sunscreen and a hat if you are sensitive to the sun, and on cool days a light sweater or jacket.
- How many people can attend a tour?
- The maximum number of participants per tour is 15.
- How much food is served on the tours?
- Each restaurant will provide samples of their menu items for you to taste. Although each sample is generally a smaller portion, after visiting all of the establishments on the tour, the average person will end the tour very satisfied.
- What restaurants/shops will we visit on the tour?
- Participating restaurants are subject to change. The tour also includes visits to local shops that will be a treat to you. Typically a tour consists of 3-4 savory tastings, 2-3 sweet tastings and 1-2 shop visits.
- What kind of foods will we be tasting?
- Food tastings are vast and varied, but might include the following examples: American fare such as stuffed French toast, fish and chips, pot roast, and stuffed chicken; Aged balsamic vinegars and blood orange, basil and lemon olive oils; Parisian food such as baked potato soup and French macarons; Cuban fare such as beef empanadas and fried plantains; pizza; and desserts such as chocolate fudge, candy and gelato.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We supply everyone with a bottle of water at the start of the tour. Alcohol is not provided, however we will point out stops that our guests can enjoy directly after the tour.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- If you have specific needs we will do our best to accommodate you if we know ahead of time; however, we cannot guarantee what the restaurants will have available. We strongly suggest you use your own best discretion when tasting samples, since you are the one who is the most knowledgeable about any food sensitivities that you may have.
- Will there be any places to sit?
- Yes, there are 3-4 sit down stops along the tour route. There will be plenty of breaks between walking and the tour covers around 1 1/4 miles total. There will also be restrooms available for your use at various tasting locations.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair and/or stroller-accessible?
- Generally the restaurants on the tour are wheelchair accessible and the sidewalks are compatible for them. If you wish to participate and bring strollers, we strongly suggest a small stroller, which is easier to fold and store. Please keep in mind that at some stops you will have to take your child out of the stroller and carry them, or have them walk.
- May I bring my dog/pet on the tour?
- We understand your pet would love the tastings too; however, please do not bring your pet on the tour as it may take away from the experience for yourself and others.
- Does this tour have anything to offer locals?
- Yes! Many who participate in our tours live locally, and/or in California. Locals often attend to learn more about the neighborhood and the city and often want to share the city with their out-of-town visitors. We can’t think of a better way to do this.
- Where should I park?
- Parking is available in Old Towne in several free parking lots around the Plaza and city. Further instructions will be provided to you upon purchasing tickets.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Gift Certificates are now available through Xperience Days. Please check the link icon on our website for more information.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes! Private tours are a great way to celebrate a birthday or special event, or as an add-on to business meetings. We encourage private tours and welcome them. We try to have 8 as the minimum requirement for a private tour, although we are always happy to work with you on your specific needs. If you are interested in a private tour, please click on the "Contact OldTowneFood" link.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The tour usually runs in light rain and moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event. If rescheduling is not possible, refunds will be issued.
- Children 5 and under may attend for free and share tastings with an adult.
- Please take into consideration when planning your children's participation that the tour is about 3 hours long. The streets in the area can be very busy, and we will be crossing one or more of them during the tour. If you bring a small child, you will be solely responsible for their supervision, and Old Towne Orange Walking Food Tours will not be held liable for any accidents or injuries.
Old Towne Orange Walking Food Tours
About Old Towne Orange Food Tour Guides:
Deanna and Renee are Italian sisters raised with a love of food, family and friends. Growing up, they learned important family traditions such as wine-making, cooking fine Northern Italian food and putting on large family celebrations. As long time residents of Orange, they have created walking food tours based on their passion for their city and its culinary point-of-view.
Renee has a background in graphic design and marketing communications, working for several Fortune 500 companies and small businesses, and has served on the boards of non-profit organizations. An experienced public speaker, she loves passing on information and loves watching others have “Ah-ha!” moments.
Deanna studied culinary arts and event management at UNLV and Ecole Hotelier in Lausanne, Switzerland. She has 20-plus years of experience in food management and has executed catering events for high profile clients in Orange County, including world dignitaries and film and television personalities. Deanna lived in Italy for several years and traveled through Europe, Asia and the United States on a quest for the latest in cuisine. Her interest in different cultures and love for meeting new people keep her energized.