On this tour, expert storytellers will tell classic tales of the famous pirates, buccaneers and freebooters that plied the waters of Key West. Our knowledgeable guides separate legends from facts and reveal the true stories and terrible fates of the most notorious Pirates of the Caribbean.
On this walking tour, you'll experience:
- True tales of Caribbean piracy
- The fate of the most notorious pirates
- Weapons and tactics of piracy
- How to capture a pirate ship
- Treasures lost and found
- Local pirate stories and lore
The later night tour at 9 PM (9:30 PM in Summer) features 'bawdy' tales of murder, mayhem, and madams. This "Naughty Night Tour" is recommended for Adults and kids 13 or older accompanied by their parents, though younger children may attend at their parents' discretion.
All other day and evening Pirate Tours are appropriate for kids and families of any age!
What Is Not Included?
- What is Pirate Tours of Key West?
- Pirate Tours of Key West offers 90-Minute walking tours of the Historic Seaport in Key West, focusing on the authentic pirate history of the area.
- Do I need to purchase tickets in advance?
- We highly recommend purchasing your tickets in advance to guarantee your spots on the tour. We take a limited group and tours can sell out in advance. Tickets may be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- What if it rains?
- Key West has some of the best weather in the whole world. The tour will be offered rain or shine. If inclement weather is expected, you may try to reschedule prior to the start of your tour by clicking on the "Contact PirateTourKW" link. Tour tickets are non-refundable, but in the event of severe or unsafe weather you would be able to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future tour (valid for up to one year). Unused tickets will be donated to local charities after they expire.
- Do the guides dress up as pirates?
- Yes. Guides dress as Key West Buccaneers, old time pirates, able seamen or women, wenches, sea dogs, rovers or privateers on the town.
- Should we dress up as pirates?
- We strongly encourage participants to dress up for the tour, but of course you can wear whatever you want!
- Who will be guiding the trip?
- All tours are lead by expert pirate guides and storytellers who learned their craft as able seamen, fisherman, explorers, pirate dogs and occasional liars. You will be well taken care of!
- Is there a suggested age for the tours?
- There is no minimum or maximum age for the tour. The later night tour at 9 PM (9:30 PM in Summer) is designed for a more mature audience (13+) and covers pirate topics such as torture, murder, prostitution, slavery and alternative pirate lifestyles. Be advised that children ages 13-16 should still have adult supervision for this "Naughty Night Tour". All other day and evening tours are appropriate for kids and families of any age!
- How many people will there be on the tour?
- We limit our groups to 25 guests per tour guide so that you can have an intimate experience. We do ask that for every 4 children under 13, a supervising adult attend as well.
- Should I tip my guide?
- Our guides truly appreciate any tips they receive after the tour. Our guests usually tip between 15-25% when they want to thank the guides for a great trip. Our pirate guides love booty!!
- How long is the tour?
- The leisurely tour covers less than a half mile loop on flat ground over the course of 90 minutes.
- Will we board the tall ships?
- We will do our best to bring our guests aboard a tall ship but cannot guarantee that on board access will be available on all tours. If you need to know if the tour of your choice will board a tall ship, please click on the "Contact PirateTourKW" link to inquire.
- Is the tour handicapped accessible?
- The entire tour is handicapped accessible but you must be ambulatory to board tall ships. Please let us know in advance of any special accommodations you may need and we will be happy to do whatever we can to make your tour as enjoyable as possible.
- Are there bathrooms?
- Handicapped accessible bathrooms are available at the seaport. Please come prepared for the 90-minute excursion, as the tour group does not stop. If you need to use the restroom during the tour you may sneak off and return to the tour in progress!
- Are audio/video devices permitted?
- Please refrain from audio/video recording devices and extensive note taking on the tour is strongly frowned upon. You are welcome to take as many photos as you like.
- Are dogs allowed on the tour?
- Well behaved pirate dogs are welcome on a leash. Sorry, dogs are not allowed on board the ships but can wait nearby to hear the stories. Please bring water and clean-up bags for your dog. Misbehaving dogs will be asked to leave tour!
- Are evil cellphones allowed on the tour?
- Please silence your cell phones and all electronic devices during the tour. Phones ringing during tour will be seized and stored in Davy Jones' locker, hurray!
- Is smoking permitted during the tour?
- Courteous smoking is permitted on the walking portion of the tour, but please step well to the stern, where it won't bother our other crew members. Smoking is not permitted on or near ships in port.
- Are there any souvenirs available for purchase?
- There will be t-shirts available for purchase upon booking your tickets in the near future. For now there will be plenty of fun souvenirs available at our ticket booth!
- Do you offer tours on holidays?
- Tours are available on most holidays. Check our calendar for our updated schedule and tour availability.
- Do you offer private tours?
- We do offer private customized pirate tours for your party or large group! Please click on the "Contact PirateTourKW" link to customize your very own special event.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- The later "night" tour may not be appropriate for children under the age of 13.
- Late Night Tours are Rated ARRR! and recommended for more mature kids and adults. Sometimes pirate stories with mature 'bawdy" content and language are told on the later night tour at 9PM (9:30 in summer). This later "Naughty Night Tour" is recommended for kids 13 or older accompanied by their parents. Younger children may attend the tour at their parents' discretion.
- For every four children under 13 years of age, there must be a supervising adult.
- For safety reasons, please make sure that for every four children under 13 years of age there is at least one supervising adult.
Pirate Tours of Key West
Join the pirate crew on a short easy walk, around the streets and docks of the historic seaport district.
Our Pirate Guides are expert storytellers who learned their storytelling craft as able seamen, fishermen, explorers, pirate dogs and occasional liars. Our ranks include a sea captain, architect, local historians, live-aboard sailors, kayak guides, buccaneers, privateers and fabulous pirate wenches!