Hear true stories of Pirates and the History of Rum and Spirits, from grog to cocktails. On this Happy Hour Drinking history tour, you will:
- Visit Old Seaport Taverns and some of the Best Bars in Key West
- Hear how rum, piracy, drinking, and smuggling created a Pirate Utopia in Key West.
- Stroll through the narrow streets to the taverns and pubs at the Tall Ship docks of the Historic Seaport.
- Learn the drinking traditions of Key West pirates and seafarers
- Toast the great pirates who invented democracy on ship board, elected their captains, and shared the rum and booty with equality, long before individual freedom and liberty was allowed on land
- Find out how pirates discovered new lands, freed the slaves and changed the course of American and world history.
Join us for an hour of fun & amusing stories, tall tales & legends, and...maybe just one lie! Family friendly and relaxing for adults too!
What Is Not Included?
Extra tickets are required for the optional Rum Tasting and Museum Tour at the Rum Barrel & Pirate Soul Museum.
- Do I need to purchase tickets in advance?
- We highly recommend purchasing your tickets in advance to guarantee your spots on the tour. We take a limited group and tours can sell out in advance. Tickets may be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- Are any free drinks provided on the tour?
- No, complimentary beverages are not provided on the walking tour. However, you will be provided with discount drink coupons which can be used at anytime on the tour and afterward. If you purchase tickets for the optional rum tasting at the Rum Barrel, the beverages are included.
- How do we get drinks on the tour?
- You can start the tour with a beverage and buy drinks for yourself along the route. We stop at 4-5 famous bars to tell stories along the way. We will provide you with over $40 of discount drink coupons for your use on the tour and afterward.
- Can I bring kids on the Pub Crawl?
- Families are welcome on the Pirates Pub Crawl. You may also enjoy our other tour, the family friendly Pirates Walking Tour, which is great for all ages and goes into more depth on pirates. Anyone who would like to participate in alcohol tastings on the pub crawl must be at least 21 years old with valid, government issued ID.
- Do I have to be 21 to go into the Rum Barrel Museum?
- No, but you do have to be 21 to participate in the optional tasting there.
- Who will be guiding the tour?
- All tours are lead by expert pirate guides and storytellers who learned their craft as able seamen, fisherman, explorers, pirate dogs and occasional liars. You will be well taken care of!
- Do the guides dress up as pirates?
- Yes. Guides dress as Key West Buccaneers, old time pirates, able seamen or women, wenches, sea dogs, rovers or privateers on the town.
- Should we dress up as pirates?
- We strongly encourage participants to dress up for the tour, but of course you can wear whatever you want!
- How many people will there be on the tour?
- We limit our Pub Crawl groups to 35 guests per tour guide so that you can have an intimate experience & hear the guide.
- What is Pirate Tours of Key West?
- Pirate Tours of Key West offers walking tours of the Historic Seaport in Key West, focusing on the authentic pirate history of the area.
- Should I tip my guide?
- Our guides truly appreciate any tips they receive after the tour. Our guests usually tip between 15-25% when they want to thank the guides for a great trip. Our pirate guides love booty!!
- How long is the tour?
- The leisurely tour covers less than a half mile loop on flat ground over the course of an hour.
- Will we board the tall ships?
- No, we will not board tall ships on this tour.
- Is the tour handicapped accessible?
- Yes, the pub crawl is fully wheelchair and handicap accessible.
- Are there bathrooms?
- Handicapped accessible bathrooms are available at the seaport and at bars we visit over the course of the tour.
- Are audio/video devices permitted?
- Please refrain from audio/video recording devices and extensive note taking on the tour is strongly frowned upon. You are welcome to take as many photos as you like.
- Are evil cellphones allowed on the tour?
- Please silence your cell phones and all electronic devices during the tour. Phones ringing during tour will be seized and stored in Davy Jones' locker, hurray!
- Is smoking permitted during the tour?
- Courteous smoking is permitted on the walking portion of the tour, but please step well to the stern, where it won't bother our other crew members. Smoking is not permitted on or near ships in port.
- What if it rains?
- Key West has some of the best weather in the whole world. The tour will be offered rain or shine. If inclement weather is expected, you may try to reschedule prior to the start of your tour by clicking on the "Contact PirateTourKW" link. Tour tickets are non-refundable, but in the event of severe or unsafe weather you would be able to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future tour (valid for up to one year). Unused tickets will be donated to local charities after they expire.
- Do you offer tours on holidays?
- Tours are available on most holidays. Check our calendar for our updated schedule and tour availability.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Guests who want to participate in alcohol tastings must be age 21 with valid ID.
- Guests of any age may attend the tour, but those who would like to participate in alcohol tastings must be at least 21 years old with valid, government issued ID. Those under age 21 or without sufficient ID will not be able to participate in alcohol tastings.
- For every four children under 13 years of age, there must be a supervising adult.
- For safety reasons, please make sure that for every four children under 13 years of age there is at least one supervising adult.
Pirate Tours of Key West
Join the pirate crew on a short easy walk, around the streets and docks of the historic seaport district.
Our Pirate Guides are expert storytellers who learned their storytelling craft as able seamen, fishermen, explorers, pirate dogs and occasional liars. Our ranks include a sea captain, architect, local historians, live-aboard sailors, kayak guides, buccaneers, privateers and fabulous pirate wenches!