Here's what you'll get on the Lower East Side Pizza Walk:
- Full slices at each of three pizzeria stops
- History of one of the city's most diverse neighborhoods
- A Pocket Pizza Journal so you can take detailed notes
- Pizza styles may include Neapolitan, Roman, New York Slice, Sicilian, Grandma and MORE!
What people are saying. . .
"No bus tour ever tasted this good." - NY Daily News
"The tastiest tour in town!" - NBC's Today in New York
"I love Scott's Pizza Tour!" - FOX 5 News
SPT's tours have also been featured on the Travel Channel, Cooking Channel and the Discovery Channel.
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Tours have a limited capacity and often sell out. If you are planning to make reservations for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance. Tickets may be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express online or by phone.
- What do I receive for the price of a ticket?
- Your ticket gets you a 3-hour course in pizza history, which includes slices at three of the city's top pizzerias! Every participant will receive a goody bag complete with candies and other items that will enhance the tour experience.
- Am I required to purchase a ticket for a child?
- Children under the age of four are welcome to join us free of charge as long as you are willing to share your slices with them. Limit is one child under four per adult. All others must purchase a general ticket.
- What is the difference between the different public tours?
- Our walking tours all concentrate on the history and science of pizza in New York City. Each makes stops at three pizzerias and several points of interest in their respective neighborhoods. The main difference is neighborhood, as each pocket of pizzerias is the product of its surroundings. The Crosstown Pizza Walk tends to be about 1.5 miles of walking whereas the Greenwich Village Pizza Walk and Lower East Side Pizza Walk each cover about a mile. All tours include slices of pizza, goody bags, and explanations of pizza culture and tradition.
- Does weather affect the tour?
- All walking tours run rain or shine. Please dress appropriately for the weather, as we will be outside for most of the tour.
- How long is the walk?
- We'll cover about 1 mile on the LES Pizza Walk. Please remember to wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for weather, as the majority of the tour will be outside.
- Where does the tour end?
- Each tour ends within a few blocks of its starting point. Exact end locations vary by day, as we do not follow the same route on every tour.
- Where will we go on this tour?
- The LES Pizza Walk covers New York pizza from a historical perspective. Historically, the Lower East Side covered a huge chunk of Manhattan from 14th Street down to Canal St but now that territory is referred to as the East Village (14th St to Houston St) and the Lower East Side (Houston to Canal) with Bowery as its western border. Some of our LES Pizza Walk tours cover what is currently referred to as the East Village and others cover the contemporary Lower East Side. On the tour itself, we'll visit three pizzerias and several points of pizza and NYC interest.
- How much time will we spend in each pizzeria?
- Our first pizza stop on the NYC Pizza Walk is a seated tasting, but after that we're on-the-go. Some of the pizzerias aren't large enough to fit our entire group, but there are plenty of restroom stops available along the way.
- Who will be my tour guide?
- Every member of our pizza enthusiast team is a licensed New York City tour guide, armed with the hunger and knowledge necessary to lead you through the landscape of NYC pizza. We do not announce who will be leading each tour in advance, but all guides have been trained personally by owner/founder Scott Wiener.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Yes! All of our stops are accessible by wheelchair.
- Is this tour appropriate for New Yorkers?
- YES! No matter how long you've lived in New York there are certainly pizzerias you have never visited. In fact, New Yorkers tend to be least aware of the pizza possibilities in their own backyards! The information and depth of your tour will bring your excitement about the dish to new levels.
- How much pizza will I eat?
- Participants are provided with three slices of pizza. If you fall in love with a slice, feel free to order a pie or two to-go! Just be sure to bring cash, as most of the old pizzerias don't take credit.
- How do we decide on toppings?
- We don't! The group will taste only cheese slices. This maintains a uniform standard upon which to evaluate the slices we consume. If you would like any extra slices with toppings, you may order them at your own cost.
- Are restrooms available during the tour?
- You are welcome to use restrooms in the sit-down pizzerias we visit at the beginning and end of the tour.
- How large will the group be?
- Capacity for the Pizza Walk is 16 but we can bump it up to 24 if the weather looks promising.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes to the thousandth degree! Pizza pictures are usually worth framing because everyone is always smiling in them. We even have a special web site where you can share your photos with other pizza pals.
- Do I need to bring anything on the tour?
- It is highly recommended that you bring a refillable container for water. We discourage the use of bottled water because of its negative impact on the environment, plus New York tap water is tasty!
- Should I eat before taking this tour?
- It's always a good idea to start your digestive engine before the tour begins.
- Are tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. It is the belief of Scott's Pizza Tours that pizza defies all language barriers.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate for this tour?
- Absolutely! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the yellow box above.
- Can I book a private/custom tour?
- We are more than happy to accommodate your requests for private tours. Just click “Contact PizzaTours” and let us know the size of your group, whether you'd like to tour by bus or on foot, and what date/time you have in mind.
Scott's Pizza Tours
Scott's love of pizza has taken him on countless pizza hunts throughout New York's five boroughs. When the limited seating in his car became a problem, Scott rented a big yellow school bus to accommodate twenty-six of his hungriest friends and relatives.
Now you can join our guides on "New York's Cheesiest Guided Tour," complete with exciting fun facts and slices at the city's best pizzerias. Each tour is unique, so be prepared for an adventure that will take your taste buds to new heights!
Scott does not lead every tour, but all of our guides are licensed and trained to dish out slices of pizza AND information on the streets of New York.