Our next adventure takes us on a bus ride through Manhattan and for four tastes of heavenly glutenless pizzas. Beyond being gluten-free, each stop exhibits a different style found throughout pizza history!
Prepare your stomach and mind for:
- Neapolitan wood-fired GF goodness
- Creamy house-made fresh mozzarella cheese
- Crusts so good you won't believe thei're GF
- Roman "pizza in pala" with Celiac-safe crust
- Friendships that will last a lifetime
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Tours have a limited capacity and often sell out. If you are planning to make reservations for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance, as more seating will be available. Tickets may be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What do I receive for the price of a ticket?
- Your ticket guarantees you a seat on our pizza safari bus for a pizza adventure the likes of which New York City has never seen. Each participant will receive a goody bag complete with candies and other items that will enhance the tour experience. All candies are vegan or gluten free, with respect to the tour you select.
- What is the difference between the NYC Pizza Bus and the Specialty Pizza Safari?
- Not all Pizza Safaris are conducted via bus. Our standard tours visit significant New York pizzerias that each serve a different variation of cheese pizza. These specialty tours each focus on a specific dietary style, whether it's gluten free, vegan, vegetarian or omnivorous. Like the standard NYC Pizza Bus tours, these specialty tours visit several pizzerias and include pizza tastings, goody bags, and explanations of pizza culture and tradition.
- Does weather affect the tour?
- All tours run rain or shine. Tour itineraries may change if weather becomes a problem but we will always run complete tours. Please dress appropriately for the weather, as we will be outside for much of the tour.
- Am I required to purchase a ticket for a child?
- Tickets must be purchased for anyone attending the tour.
- Where does the tour start?
- Every specialty tour starts at a different location, which will be listed on the e-ticket you receive after purchasing your ticket. Please double check the e-ticket before your tour to ensure that you'll be in the correct place.
- Where does the tour end?
- Every tour ends within blocks of where it began. Since each tour has a different starting point, the end points will also be different.
- Where will we go on this tour?
- All specialty tours are unique. We draw our destinations from a bank of participating pizzerias throughout New York's five boroughs. We do not release our exact stops, as they often change last minute. All specialty tours will have several pizza stops (3 on walking tours, 4 on bus tours).
- Do we stay on the bus for the duration of the tour?
- For Pizza Safaris conducted via bus, we exit the bus at every pizzeria. Depending on the weather, we may even get to eat some slices outside!
- If a tour is conducted via bus, can I bring alcohol aboard?
- No. It is against New York State law to consume alcohol on a bus. The pizzerias we visit do have alcoholic beverages for sale, so please be sure to bring sufficient cash and a valid ID.
- Who will be my tour guide?
- Scott Wiener is a licensed New York City tour guide and a dedicated pizza enthusiast. He is also the founder of Scott's Pizza Tours. Scott's love for pizza and fascination with pizza culture has led him to create a forum in which pizza lovers can assemble to dish about their favorite slices and broaden their pizza palates. His knowledge of pizza had landed him appearances on the Cooking Channel, Travel Channel and the Discovery Channel.
- What type of vehicle is used for Safaris conducted by bus?
- Scott's Pizza Tours is the only guided tour in New York City that uses a yellow school bus. All buses are new models and pass inspections by the NYC Board of Education as well as the Department of Consumer Affairs. We only use buses that are up to code with the city's regulations.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Tours on foot are wheelchair friendly but tours via bus are not. Please let us know your situation and we'll do our best to make it work.
- Are children allowed on the tour?
- Absolutely! Everyone's welcome to come along for the adventure.
- When the tour is conducted by bus, am I permitted to leave possessions aboard?
- You may leave personal items on the bus, as the bus driver will always stay with the vehicle during our tastings, but it is strongly recommended that you keep valuables with you at all times. Several seats will be open for luggage and strollers.
- As a New Yorker, will I enjoy this tour?
- YES! No matter how long you've lived in New York there are certainly pizzerias you have never visited. In fact, New Yorkers tend to be least aware of the pizza possibilities in their own backyards! The information and depth of your tour will bring your excitement about the dish to new levels.
- Is this tour appropriate for tourists?
- Yes. Your guide is a licensed New York City tour guide and is prepared to take you on a unique city tour by way of its pizza. Most tourists want to see the city and eat its pizza; Scott's Pizza Tours lets you do both!
- How much pizza will I eat?
- Participants are provided with a slice of pizza at each pizzeria we visit. How much of that pizza you eat is entirely up to you.
- How do we decide on toppings?
- We have selected a different pizza at each stop so that everyone will eat the same thing.
- I'm very strict with my dietary situation, have all these pizzerias been checked for ingredients and cross-contamination?
- Absolutely yes. All vegan pizzas have been checked for dairy and other animal products. No eggs, butter, honey, etc are used in crusts and no casein or rennet are used in any cheese substitutes. Similarly, all gluten free pizzas are prepared and baked in wheat-free areas to prevent cross-contamination. Be assured that all stops have been checked thoroughly.
- Are restrooms available during the tour?
- Every pizzeria has a restroom! It is highly recommended that you visit these restrooms at the first and final stops while the group is eating inside the restaurant.
- How large will the group be?
- Capacity for Safaris conducted on foot is 16. Capacity for safaris conducted by bus is 24. The group size must remain small on these specialty tours because some of the pizzerias we visit are tiny.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes to the thousandth degree! Pizza pictures are always worth framing because everyone is always smiling in them. We even have a special web site where you can share your photos with other pizza pals.
- Do I need to bring anything on the tour?
- it is highly recommended that you bring a refillable container for water. We discourage the use of bottled water, as New York's tap water is quite tasty!
- Should I eat before taking this tour?
- The aim of this tour is not to fill you up beyond the level of comfort but it is recommended you eat a reasonable breakfast in the morning to get your metabolism rolling.
- Are tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. It is the belief of Scott's Pizza Tours that pizza defies all language barriers.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate for this tour?
- No, gift certificates are not available for this specific tour, but they are available for some of our regularly operating pizza tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click “List of all activities” to the left of the page, scroll down to the bottom of the next page, and click “Buy a Gift Certificate”!
- Can I book a private/custom tour?
- Yes, we are more than happy to accommodate your requests for private tours. Just click the "Contact PizzaTours" link and we'll construct an event to suit your party's needs.
Scott's Pizza Tours
Scott's love of pizza has taken him on countless pizza hunts throughout New York's five boroughs. When the limited seating in his car became a problem, Scott rented a big yellow school bus to accommodate twenty-six of his hungriest friends and relatives.
Now you can join our guides on "New York's Cheesiest Guided Tour," complete with exciting fun facts and slices at the city's best pizzerias. Each tour is unique, so be prepared for an adventure that will take your taste buds to new heights!
Scott does not lead every tour, but all of our guides are licensed and trained to dish out slices of pizza AND information on the streets of New York.